Hello,

I'm going to buy a Morley Bad Horsie 2 pedal soon, and probably a power supply at the same time. I'm trying to determine which power supply to buy.

The pedals I have so far are all happy with 9 VDC and draw very little current (see my signature), except the Whammy DT which is 9 VDC 288 mA (its manual says 130 mA and <288 mA, so I'm taking the "worst" number into account).

For the Bad Horsie 2, I have a hard time finding the correct number. It's a 9 VDC pedal, its manual says it draws only 16 mA, whereas several reviews I saw mention that it has a high current draw, like 300 mA...

I was going to buy a Voodoo Lab Power 2+, but maybe I should take the 4x4 in order to have the 400 mA outputs and be on the safe side?

Thanks for your help.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
this is captain obvious to the rescue, so i apologise if i'm insulting your intelligence, but have you considered emailing morley to ask?

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/843

that lists the bad horsie as 12mA, but no bad horsie 2 unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I haven't done that yet. I'm afraid I'm rather pessimistic when it comes to asking companies for anything, but perhaps Morley is still small enough to be able to have real communication with its customers. It can't hurt to try, anyway, so I'll do it right away.

The link you provided indicates that the 12 mA is "stated", which probably means that they just copied the value given in the manual (like the 16 mA I gave in my first post).

In any case, real-life experience from musicians on this forum is still welcome.

PS: email to Morley posted.
Last edited by Yuka66 at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by Yuka66
(a) I haven't done that yet. I'm afraid I'm rather pessimistic when it comes to asking companies for anything, but perhaps Morley is still small enough to be able to have real communication with its customers. It can't hurt to try, anyway, so I'll do it right away.

(b) The link you provided indicates that the 12 mA is "stated", which probably means that they just copied the value given in the manual (like the 16 mA I gave in my first post).

(c) In any case, real-life experience from musicians on this forum is still welcome.

(a) Normally if it's a black-and-white question they answer. But not always, so I understand your pessimism.

Worth a shot, if they don't answer you're no worse off than currently

(b) Yeah I saw that and I suspect that's the case

(c) Yeah I haven't tried it.

I think that site I linked to has some info on how to test your own pedal's current draw.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/821

might be worth a try if you can be bothered
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Yuka66
For the Bad Horsie 2, I have a hard time finding the correct number. It's a 9 VDC pedal, its manual says it draws only 16 mA, whereas several reviews I saw mention that it has a high current draw, like 300 mA...

if the manual says 16mA, then go with that. reviewers can be stupid sometimes. i've never heard of a wah drawing over 20mA.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think that site I linked to has some info on how to test your own pedal's current draw.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/821

might be worth a try if you can be bothered

Thanks for that link. I'll try to find the answer before I buy the power supply in order to avoid the return-to-shop-and-order-again pain, but the test in your link is simple enough that I'll probably do it out of curiosity. I'll just steal a multimeter from work for one day.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
if the manual says 16mA, then go with that. reviewers can be stupid sometimes. i've never heard of a wah drawing over 20mA.

Thanks. This is indeed more in line with the other wah pedals I found numbers for, at least the recent ones.

I found a review where the reviewer is very adamant about the high current consumption of this pedal, claiming that he ran into problems because of it. This is why I'm taking the time to check, even though the reviewer may simply have been wrong.
Quote by Yuka66
Thanks. This is indeed more in line with the other wah pedals I found numbers for, at least the recent ones.

I found a review where the reviewer is very adamant about the high current consumption of this pedal, claiming that he ran into problems because of it. This is why I'm taking the time to check, even though the reviewer may simply have been wrong.

got a link for that? i want to see what other gear he was using.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
got a link for that? i want to see what other gear he was using.

It's on this very website, in fact. Here it is, last review on the page, "Reliability & Durability" paragraph. Unfortunately the reviewer is very vague about his gear.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
if the manual says 16mA, then go with that.

yeah that's what i was thinking

Quote by Yuka66
Thanks for that link. I'll try to find the answer before I buy the power supply in order to avoid the return-to-shop-and-order-again pain, but the test in your link is simple enough that I'll probably do it out of curiosity. I'll just steal a multimeter from work for one day.

no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a nice and quick answer from Morley about the Bad Horsie 2. Even though the provided power supply has a 300 mA capacity, the pedal requires 16 mA only, as stated in the manual.

In the end the answer was the obvious one, but now I have a better understanding of that topic. Thanks to you all and to the man at Morley's.

I sent a similar email to Digitech about the Whammy DT, since the manual is less clear: it says <288 mA, which is vague and unconfortably close to the limit of the Voodoo Lab Power 2+ (250 mA). I'll let you know when I get an answer.
Last edited by Yuka66 at Jul 28, 2014,
I just got the answer from Digitech. Unfortunately, it's not remotely as customer friendly as Morley's... They refused to tell me how much current the Whammy DT draws and claimed that it can't be plugged into any power supply but their own.

And to add insult to injury, they asked me to fill a satisfaction survey.

I'll guess I'll have to find someone else who knows what they're talking about.

Edit: after a couple of unpleasant emails, the support guy gave me a number, 1300 mA. But that's in complete contradiction with the pedal's manual. I'll keep searching and post the result here, for information, when I have something.
Last edited by Yuka66 at Jul 28, 2014,
glad you got a straight answer about the morley

that sucks about digitech- i hate it when companies try to push their own supposedly-proprietary power supply.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/863 that lists the different whammy current draws there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah i get the feeling his first adapter was shithouse. seriously, barely anything that isn't a digital mfx takes over 300mA. with the exception of some tube pedals.

And even then, 300mA is a shitload.
My TC Nova Delay only draws about 180mA.
And I would guess that the LEDs and display account for about 60mA - 80mA of that.
The adapter is rated for 300mA though.

Wah pedals are probably the lowest current draw pedals around.
A stock Crybaby only draws something like 4mA.
Dirt pedals typically draw under 20mA,
They would draw a lot less but an LED itself draws around 10mA (give or take).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by Yuka66
I just got the answer from Digitech. Unfortunately, it's not remotely as customer friendly as Morley's... They refused to tell me how much current the Whammy DT draws and claimed that it can't be plugged into any power supply but their own.

And to add insult to injury, they asked me to fill a satisfaction survey.

I'll guess I'll have to find someone else who knows what they're talking about.

Edit: after a couple of unpleasant emails, the support guy gave me a number, 1300 mA. But that's in complete contradiction with the pedal's manual. I'll keep searching and post the result here, for information, when I have something.

do you have a TGP account? there's a user on there named DigitechRep, who is one of the nicest and most forthcoming guys around. he gave the exact current draw of the whammy 5. maybe if you post a thread there, he'll pop in and tell you.

and as for customer satisfaction surveys, put all 1s. then maybe they'll stop being douchefaces.

edit: should have clarified that DigitechRep is a representative from digitech, if that wasn't clear enough.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
do you have a TGP account? there's a user on there named DigitechRep, who is one of the nicest and most forthcoming guys around. he gave the exact current draw of the whammy 5. maybe if you post a thread there, he'll pop in and tell you.

I didn't know TGP, I suppose it's "The Gear Page" website? Thanks for the tip, I'll see about posting there.
^ Yeah tgp is the gear page.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I followed your advice and posted on TGP. DigitechRep answered nicely and, following that, I ordered a Voodoo Lab 4x4 (not the 2+ because it can't go beyond 200 mA). After a few hours of testing, I can confirm that it works very well.
Sweet Thanks for letting us know
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?