Sup guys!

What do you think of the Original Edge on the Ibanez Prestige RG 655? I mean Im sure its going to be good because of how high end the guitar is, but is it as good as an Original Floyd Rose in terms of tuning stability?

Thanks!
I have had no experience with the original Edge but from what I've heard, they're good. The "good" Ibanez bridges are the Original Edge, Edge Pro, and the ZR. I think that there are a few more but i can't remember the names.
Quote by darrenram1
I have had no experience with the original Edge but from what I've heard, they're good. The "good" Ibanez bridges are the Original Edge, Edge Pro, and the ZR. I think that there are a few more but i can't remember the names.

Ah okay. The only ibanez with a floating trem I have played was a cheap S series and I dont know what trem it was but it was okay.
If this is the same Original Edge as the ones they used in the golden era, it will be better than an OFR.

The original Original Edge is made by Gotoh, and that means quality.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Archer250
If this is the same Original Edge as the ones they used in the golden era, it will be better than an OFR.

The original Original Edge is made by Gotoh, and that means quality.

I dont know how to tell if its that one? Im looking at the RG 655 if that helps.
The original edge and lo-pro edge are, by many, considered to be the best Floyd variant out there. To include being better built than original Floyds. The edge pro is also a very nice trem.

IMO I would rate Floyd style trems as follows

1- Edge, Lo Pro Edge
2- Edge Pro
3- OFR (Schaller), Jackson (Schaller)
4- Gotoh 1996t and the variants they made for OEM (Wolfgangs, Axis, etc)
5- Takeuchi made stuff (Some Charvels, Jacksons, Ibanez, etc)
6- Any other import trems(mostly junk)

I may have missed some but once I got down around 5, I personally wouldn't own one.

This list does not include different styles of nice trems like Kahler, Wilkenson, or ZR's as they work differently.

Yes the 655 has an original edge.
Last edited by Fastmerc at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by Fastmerc
The original edge and lo-pro edge are, by many, considered to be the best Floyd variant out there. To include being better built than original Floyds. The edge pro is also a very nice trem.

IMO I would rate Floyd style trems as follows

1- Edge, Lo Pro Edge
2- Edge Pro
3- OFR (Schaller), Jackson (Schaller)
4- Gotoh 1996t and the variants they made for OEM (Wolfgangs, Axis, etc)
5- Takeuchi made stuff (Some Charvels, Jacksons, Ibanez, etc)
6- Any other import trems(mostly junk)

I may have missed some but once I got down around 5, I personally wouldn't own one.

This list does not include different styles of nice trems like Kahler, Wilkenson, or ZR's as they work differently.

Yes the 655 has an original edge.

Wicked! Thanks for the help guys!
I don't necessarily agree with his ordering there.

I'd put the Gotoh, Schaller, OFR (Schaller-made version) and the good Ibanez ones (Edge, Lo-Pro Edge and Edge Pro) as being all much of a muchness- preference plays a pretty big part. (that also includes rebrands, like the musicman trem which is a gotoh, etc.).

Then I'd put the FRT-x000 as a step below (it's the Korean-made OFR)- still good enough to use (though I'd be a bit miffed if I got one on an expensive guitar), and supposedly a direct swap for an OFR in a worst case scenario.

I wouldn't go any lower than that.

EDIT: But yeah the edge is one of the good ones. I'm not sure what the sustain block is made of (should be swappable anyway if you care), but other than that it's meant to be great, and what little I've tried of it suggests it is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got a 1986 Roadstar II with an Original Edge in it. This was one of the first guitars to ever get it. The guy that owned this before me put some heavy use on it. After some cleaning and a very small amount of filing on the knife edges the thing is like brand new, even after nearly 30 years. I did put a brass block on it because it had the standard pot metal on it.