Hey guys, although this question has probably been asked atleast 9000 times...
For around 8 years I've been playing on a Dreadnought - cut out Coleman K1cena. I play mostly finger style songs as I love Nylon guitars too.

So when I mean fingerstyle, just so you guys get an idea;
Songs like -
Classical Gas
Waiting - Calum Graham
Various rearrangement themes of movies etc

I've been playing fine with my dreadnought, but I really need to get a new guitar since I picked this one up for 199.. I was thinking the Lag T200JCE until I realised it was a Jumbo guitar. Does anyone know the best size for fingerstyle guitar? I know anything below Dreadnought is considered good but what really is 'good'?
I love to play standing up and I love the classical shape (Oo - looking shape).
Would love to hear what the pros think
Cheers

PS. Has anyone ever played the Lag T100A?

-Lozza
you want a smaller guitar similar to Taylor's GC line or Martin's 0/00/000 series.
the smaller guitar will project individual notes with much greater clarity than a larger dread body. I wont suggest a particular guitar or line as I know nothing of your budget( and there's the fact that every time someone comes in here looking for a suggestion, 99.9% of the time, they choose something completely different than what they were asking for)
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
That's generally the case. Most all the acoustic fingerstyle players I admire are playing the smaller Martin OMs and OOOs. A few play the similarly-sized little Gibson; the Gibsons seem to be more popular with the straight blues guys like Keb Mo, for instance.

Quite a lot of 'em like wider necks and 12-fret necks too.

However... There are very many very fine fingerstyle players who don't follow these trends. One of my favorites is Chris Smither, who has a unique blues-influenced style and as far as I can tell he plays dreads.
Hell, when I started playing, I didn't even know guitars came in different sizes.....
I don't think there is a best size, and "good"is in the ear of the player; you need to trust your ears, not someone else's notion of what is suitable. I only play fingerstyle, and all the steel strings I've ever had (a lot!) have been dreads except for four. The four odd men out were the first two I ever bought as a teenager and my current 1932 L-00, and a 1925 0-21 that I didn't keep for long. I prefer
dreads to anything else I've tried (also a lot!), but they have to be carefully chosen for a tight bass response and strong treble. Suitable candidates come in all price ranges and materials - my current favourite for straight fingerpicking is all-laminate. The little L-00 is a good guitar, and I'm very attached to it, but I can find tones I prefer in dreads. The small size was also convenient for gigs on a crowded stage, and it had the right mojo for the style I play, acoustic blues.

FWIW, I've never played a jumbo that I liked. A new Martin J-40 sounded good when I bought it, but the tone deteriorated very markedly over a period of about three years.

Some of the best inexpensive dreads I have played recently have been Tanglewoods.

Addendum - A thing in favour of dreads - there are more of them to choose from in the lower price ranges, so the odds on finding one you like are greater.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 27, 2014,
Thanks for the fast input guys !
Yeah your completely right, I really gotta try for myself and feel a range of guitars. I've been going through heaps of shops playing around with a few brands but even though they do play really well, I'm not completely sure if it is no doubt the best guitar I could possibly find... if that makes sense. I just need an idea of what I need to look for So I should be looking at OM models?

What about auditorium models? Also, I'm not really into the cutouts but apparently cut outs are great for fingerstyle... Anywho I would really prefer the classic shape. And I really don't like the vinyls that come on all Martin guitars..

Anyone had any experience for the LAG Tremontane and Faith brands? Personally I think these 2 brands have stood out the most for me in terms of aesthetic, but I'm not sure if they are worth it for the price I'd pay and my preferred style.

I'm willing to pay for something around 600.
Quote by Tony Done
I don't think there is a best size, and "good"is in the ear of the player; you need to trust your ears, not someone else's notion of what is suitable. I only play fingerstyle, and all the steel strings I've ever had . . . . have been dreads . . .

Same here. My only steel string acoustic that is not a dreadnought - and it's a recent acquisition - is a Recording King ROS-16 which is a 000 with a 48mm vintage V neck which is a great guitar (and I only fingerpick too).

Quote by Tony Done
FWIW, I've never played a jumbo that I liked. . . . . .

Some of the best inexpensive dreads I have played recently have been Tanglewoods.

Addendum - A thing in favour of dreads - there are more of them to choose from in the lower price ranges, so the odds on finding one you like are greater.

And I agree 100% with all of this from Tony ^^^^^^^.

PS. I fingerpick on all my guitars: steel string, nylon string and electric. There is no such thing as a dedicated "fingerpicking" guitar.
Last edited by Garthman at Jul 28, 2014,
Well obviously there isn't, but obviously some guitars are suited better to fingerstyle than others, especially since fingerstyle players tend to finger smack and palm beat a lot of the time. My guitar are simple too big and are less ergonomic for the kind of stuff I'm into. A guitars a guitar, they are all the same in some aspects. But for they don't make different sizes, actions, and fret lengths for nothing haha
Quote by Lozza47
Well obviously there isn't, but obviously some guitars are suited better to fingerstyle than others, especially since fingerstyle players tend to finger smack and palm beat a lot of the time. My guitar are simple too big and are less ergonomic for the kind of stuff I'm into. A guitars a guitar, they are all the same in some aspects. But for they don't make different sizes, actions, and fret lengths for nothing haha

You've answered your own question - a dread is too big for you. So get something smaller, that will be a better guitar for you.
Quote by Lozza47
. . . . Well obviously there isn't, but obviously some guitars are suited better to fingerstyle than others, especially since fingerstyle players tend to finger smack and palm beat a lot of the time.

That's ^ ^ ^ a bit of a contradiction, surely: "obviously there isn't" and "obviously there are"?????

And I'm sticking to what I said earlier - you can fingerpick on any guitar.

Quote by Lozza47
My guitar are simple too big and are less ergonomic for the kind of stuff I'm into.

Like Tony Done says - you've answered the question.

Quote by Lozza47
A guitars a guitar, they are all the same in some aspects. But they don't make different sizes, actions, and fret lengths for nothing haha

The range of guitar body shapes and sizes is a combination of historic development and attempts to achieve better sound and/or greater volume.
I was playing a beautiful all-mahogany Martin 000 ($900 used) at the music store the other day and it came very close to what I'd consider perfection for finger style.
Dave Bowers

Instruments
Martin D-28
Martin/Sigma DR12-7
Martin Dreadnought Junior
Washburn EA25SNB
Epiphone F-112 Bard
Epiphone Les Paul Special II