Hello everybody,
t has been a while since i'm reading post on the forum without posting, so i'll start

I play guitar for 8 years, I have a correct level but nothing more. I took some private lessons, I made music academy for 4 years, and I have a small experience of playing in a band.
Nevertheless, I find that I haven't level that I should have, and especially that I WANT to have.

Being more turned to the Metal as Metallica, Pantera but also the Hard rock as the Gun's N Roses and Kiss, my playing often limits me to make solos in penta scall or still rhythmic at 200 bpm in Downpicking... Not very original...

Lately, I browsed the net and especially YouTube in search of exercise, lessons, and I fell on a music style (the prog / djent metal) and especially on talented guitarists (Javier Reyes and Tosin Abasi from AAL and John Petrucci from DT (whom I knew only of name). And, the slap.... I realized that these guys know how to play everything, Jazz, blues,metal... F****n genius!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3izFZf99z8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzOV_FBVORk

I would want to restart on good bases, to learn new techniques, learn the musical theory (how use a scale, which scale for which tone) and especially to widen my game play, not to limit me to metal.

I think that by learning Jazz and Blues and Gypsy Jazz or still Country music, in particular by improvising in these styles will help me e in the environment of Metal, to widen my possibilities. What do you think about it?

However, it's hard to begin a kind of program of training when we don't know by where to begin, what to learn. This is why I turn to you. I would like to know if you could direct me a little on the exercises or still the song for the development of the technique in these styles of play. If you have some addresses for the theory, etc...

Thank you very much

PS: My english is not perfect, sorry :/
Everything you learn that you didn't know before is a benefit to your overall playing, there's no doubt about that.

That said, the first thing to do if you want to try and learn a new style of playing the first thing to do is to really immerse yourself in it. Listen to it as much as you can.

Really I don't know much about 'standard' jazz and country but for gypsy jazz you'll want to track down as much material as possible by Stochelo Rosenberg (Rosenberg Trio), Bireli Lagrene, Joscho Stephan, Django Reinhardt, Angelo Debarre, and so forth.

Other people might be able to help you out with recommendations for the others but really getting the sounds in your ears is going to be the first thing you should do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thank you for your answer

And for the technique like legato, string skipping, you recommend me to make a program to learn?
Quote by Ludo-Barth
Thank you for your answer

And for the technique like legato, string skipping, you recommend me to make a program to learn?

I recommend you practice them as and when you need them. There's nothing so effective as learning something when you need to use it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.