I was wondering how all those punkrockers get that fat sound when palm muting or just playing power chords.
Also the Joe Satriani sound on unstopable momentum sounds zo full to me.

Are they using a compression pedal? Any ideas?
They play nice amps, and what your hearing on recordings is multi tracks of the guitars.
Tube screamers are also used as a boost alot
What gear do you currently have?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They play nice amps, and what your hearing on recordings is multi tracks of the guitars.

JCM 900 112 combo and Tiny terror with Nightrain vox cabinet (112) a boss GE-7 and some other effect pedals.
Jackson kelly and epiphone les paul
Your amp (900) should have the gain and balls to get there, especially if you put your EQ in the loop and use it to help boost your levels.

the Terror can get there, but you need a boost in front of the amp. Tubescreamers work great as a boost.

Then it comes down to technique
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As said above, its about the layering of guitars. Its always shocking to me how taking a fairly low gain tone, recording a riff once and panning all the way left, and then recording again and panning right, yields a really big, heavy and chunky sound. Not to mention when you have the rest of the bands instruments in the context. Sometimes its more than just what amp to get that sound. Id agree that your equipment should get you there
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

it's hard to make your guitar sound like a well produced album
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Robbgnarly

^This

Quote by gumbilicious
it's hard to make your guitar sound like a well produced album

^And That

Usually all guitars are doubled (or quad in some cases) tracked to give that "wall of sound" thick body. Some guy's will record 2 different amps simultaneously to compliment each other (highs and lows). Like Robb mentioned, add an EQ and some OD to help yourself get there with your live rig. I find that when I'm trying to get the tones that I recorded, live, I usually have to crank my OD pedal up a hair bit more.

I have some pop/punk/rock recordings in my profile where I doubled tracked my JCA50H, and a EVH5150iii simultaneously.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jul 27, 2014,
Mod channel 2 of your JCM900 (assuming that it's the Dual Reverb). If it's not, which one is it? The Mk3 is even easier to mod, the SL/X doesn't need imodding. If you can't get a fat punk rock sound out of an SL/X, it's user error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok thanks guys ! My JCM is at our rehearsal space now, I made myself a pedal that allows me to play the simultaneousley, so I might check that out and look for a tubescreamer.