So a couple of hours ago I was practicing with my band, and all of a sudden my Peavey Valveking 112 started making weird noises.
When I strum my guitar it sounds like the output is way to high. Cracking and buzzing sounds then continue after I turn the guitar volume all the way down. It sounds almost like a frying pan when you just put something in..
Since this is my first tube amp, and I've never had any issues before I really don't know where to look for the problem. I read that when a tube breaks, the amp stops making sound all together, so I guess that can't be it, right?
Does anyone have any experience with things like this, or does someone know what it could be?
Thanks in advance
Any burning smells? Do the other channels work? Different amps will have different symptoms when different tubes blow, so it's still entirely possible.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
sounds like tubes need to be replaced
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No, no smells. And it does the same thing on clean and overdrive channel. It's just more extreme on the overdrive channel, because of the gain I think.
If it's the tubes, do I replace them all at once, or do I find the broken one and replace that one?
I agree with Robb, sounds like tubes. Check to see if any of them are white and foggy at the top instead of metallic silver.

If it's one the power tubes, you might was well replace all of them and get a matched set, a matched set sounds better. Preamp tubes are a little trickier. Personally I'd do a full retube just to ensure all the tubes are good if it's a preamp tube, but you could replace just the one if your budget is tight.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Jul 27, 2014,
From the sound of it, get a whole set www.eurotubes.com sells sets for your amp and they are decent tubes at a decent price
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's hard to see, I'm not at the practice space anymore, but I took this picture before I left.
How Will I be able to see if one of the pre-amp tubes are broken? (At least, I think that's what the metal things are on the right)
The metal sleeves over the preamp tubes come off if you push them up and twist them off. The top will be white and foggy if it is blown, but if it isn't the top will be silver and metallic. Examples here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/4018173122_425ed80bdc.jpg
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Tubes go bad without turning white. They turn white when the vacuume is broken on them.

Get a set of tubes for it, I'm sure they are the stock tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate