Hello - I didn't exactly know what to title this thread, so I just went with the first thing that came to mind when writing this. I also didn't know at all where I should write this on the internet because it's not only about guitar, but it's somewhat personal, so I figured I'd make an account here because it looked like someone would be able to talk with me about more than just the guitar part of this thread.

I just want to say that this thread is sort of a little rant and a bunch of other things - basically it's going to go in a lot of direction, but I just want to get one thing clear. The MAIN purpose of me writing all of this is because I want different opinions and suggestions on what I should practice on my guitar (any opinions and suggestions on the actual situation would be much obliged).

So anyway, let me give you a bit of background information:

Just call me Gloaten I guess. I'm 15 and I've been playing the guitar for about five/six years. I'm a fairly... eh - anti-social teenager is what I'd describe myself as. I have a couple of real life buddies and a group of online friends I talk to.

I have a certain aspect to my personality that is incredibly difficult to cope with and what makes it even harder to deal with is that the majority of the people close to me in my life are sort of like this. No, I'm not blaming anyone other than myself - all I'm saying is I find it extremely hard to deal with and it makes me feel like I'm trapped in this hole and can't get out.

Anyway - Like I said I've been playing the guitar for five/six years yet I'm not too good. I'd say I have an average knowledge about the guitar, but I'm not by any means "good". You want to know why? Practice. Practice, practice, practice. I don't know what happened, somewhere early on something just happened and I just couldn't bring myself to practice that often if at all. This is where that certain aspect of my personality comes in.

Lately as in the past few years this hasn't just applied to my guitar, but almost to everything that I love doing. I can't bring myself to finish a book that I love, to start a game I've been hyped to play, to do homework, to do ANYTHING. I LOVE music, I LOVE playing the guitar and actually a lot of times I'll find myself picking it up and just strumming it melodically - typically with basic major chords such as G or D.

Sorry this thread is already kind of going back and forth and in a lot of places, but I just need to get this out.

It pains me even more because my family seems to think that I'm great at the guitar (though I never play it for them). It's because they always ask me "how's the guitar going?" or something along the lines of that - it pains me because I can't bring myself to let them know how "good" I actually am.

(I forgot to mention that I find it difficult to talk to my parents mainly because like me - my dad has a bit of social anxiety and is a bit awkward to talk to and I just don't know how. And my mom just seems to never actually really listen to me and interrupts me - and it's hard enough for me already because I find it difficult to get words out just like I am right now typing this).

I've kind of lost track of where I am. I've had three guitar teachers - one for less than six months, one for about a year, and now my current one. After I had my current one for a year I also had to take a leave from guitar because my parent's couldn't afford lessons. Surprisingly during that time I seem to recall kind of playing a lot, I'm not really sure, though.

So, I've kind of completely lost track of where this is going, but I'm going to try and sum it up the best I can.

Basically - I'm a 15 year old going into my Sophomore year of High School with only a couple years left to figure out what the **** I need to do with my life. I know that I absolutely LOVE music - I LOVE playing the guitar, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'm trying so hard to get back into and I think part of the issue is that my group of online friends I'm always talking to yet I feel a form of depression a lot of the time when talking to them. It's the same way for one of my real life friend's. I think I need to do something about that, but I don't know.

Here's kind of a run down of stuff I've learned in the past / knowledge gained - a lot of it I can kind of pick back up I think, but I really don't know what to start with. Treat it as if I'm a complete beginner with a bunch of materials:

- Open Chords
- Notes (as in D or G)
- Octives
- 5ths
- Barre Chords
- C.A.G.E.D

- Pentitonic
- Diatonic
- Blues

- Theory 101

- Arpeggios
- Modes

- Warm Ups

- 3 Note Diatonics
- Finger Picking
- C.A.G.E.D - Pentitionic

- Harmonic Minor

Those are basically notes my guitar teacher wrote down on the cover of one of my books. I've also learned a fair number of songs and some other things such as riffs - but... Like I said I just don't know completely where I'm going with this. I essentially feel as if I'm in a hole and can't climb my way out.

I'll try and make edits to this and I'll try and answer any questions or concerns (as there would probably be some considering this whole thread is basically a cluster-****).

By the way, I don't even know if this thread is in the right category, so - sorry if it isn't.

Thank you so much if you actually read up to here. I hope I can get some genuine help.

Edit: Also, sorry for this thread probably not making too much sense. I had a good idea of what I wanted to say in my head, but like I said - I'm bad at trying to get words out. Communication isn't my strong suit.
Last edited by GloatenFree at Jul 27, 2014,
Seems like you have a lot of the basics down.

Try just practicing for thirty minutes a day, no more.

The first fifteen minutes concentrate on some of what you mentioned above - perfecting a couple of chords or scales, or going a bit deeper into theory.

Then spend the last fifteen minutes learning songs you like that you haven't tried before.

How does that sound?

Don't go over the thirty minutes! Leave yourself wanting more
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Quote by EMarkM
Seems like you have a lot of the basics down.

Try just practicing for thirty minutes a day, no more.

The first fifteen minutes concentrate on some of what you mentioned above - perfecting a couple of chords or scales, or going a bit deeper into theory.

Then spend the last fifteen minutes learning songs you like that you haven't tried before.

How does that sound?

My guitar teacher once kind of broke down a practice routine I could have. It was something similar to what you said. Yeah I could try that, but do you think I should kind of start over? As in going back and... eh... doing everything? I honestly don't know what I'm trying to get at, but I think that might be a good start.
Last edited by GloatenFree at Jul 27, 2014,
Well, the first couple of times, sure - go over your old stuff and get it as good as you can.

Only in the first 15 minutes though; then do a new song!
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Quote by EMarkM
Well, the first couple of times, sure - go over your old stuff and get it as good as you can.

Only in the first 15 minutes though; then do a new song!

Alright.
I can relate to you on the social anxiety and trouble with talking. I was super shy as a teenager, and now at 24 I'm still really shy and uncomfortable in social situations, but I've made a lot of improvement by consciously making an effort to push myself a little. Smile at a stranger in a store, ask someone how their day has been, etc. just a little at a time. It gets easier over time, but you still have to keep pushing your own boundaries.

To the main subject, I'm not sure what your goal is, so I'll just assume you're talking about everything. I see octaves and 5ths listed, but it will help a lot to learn the rest of the intervals, which ones are used in the major and minor scales, what they look like on the neck, and what they sound like (the last one will probably take quite a while). Learning songs by ear is a very important part that I neglected during my first several years, but helps tremendously. If you know the intervals, what they look like, and how they fit into the major and minor scales then while you're learning songs by ear you'll also be working on how well you identify the intervals, which helps your ear even more.

I also think it'd be very beneficial to play with other musicians. Try to get together a band or at least a friend or two and meet up once a week (or whatever you can manage). Whether you're learning a song to play together, writing music, or just jamming a blues progression, it doesn't matter as long as you're having fun. It's highly likely that one of you will be better than the other. If the other guy is better then he can give you pointers as you're playing, you can watch and listen to how he does things, and you'll improve a lot faster. Even if he's of the same skill level or worse than you you'll still both improve a lot faster than just playing by yourself. The main point is that it makes it fun and gives you motivation to practice when you're by yourself as well. It's especially fun to write material and then show them how to play it, learn the stuff they're writing, and try to work together to piece something together.

This will also help with your social skills. I've found it's much easier for me to talk about music and I relate to most other musicians really easily. If I can jam with someone or talk about music a lot it makes things a lot easier and more comfortable, and I'm betting it's the same for you.

Edit: I left this tab open for like an hour before I got around to responding and missed the above conversation.

I highly disagree with this. If you're enjoying yourself then keep playing for as long as you feel like it. As for the practice schedule in general, that varies from person to person. I'd say try it for a while and see how you like it. Personally I don't care for it, but maybe it will suit you. I think as long as you're playing some every day then it doesn't matter, it just depends on what feels right to you. You might want to review the things you've learned and then spend some time on the things you're shaky on, but don't just bore yourself with things that you know well.

Another Edit: Also, when you learn or brush up on theoretical things try to apply them on the guitar and play with the idea for a while so that it really sinks in
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by GloatenFree
Hello - I didn't exactly know what to title this thread, so I just went with the first thing that came to mind when writing this. I also didn't know at all where I should write this on the internet because it's not only about guitar, but it's somewhat personal, so I figured I'd make an account here because it looked like someone would be able to talk with me about more than just the guitar part of this thread.

I just want to say that this thread is sort of a little rant and a bunch of other things - basically it's going to go in a lot of direction, but I just want to get one thing clear. The MAIN purpose of me writing all of this is because I want different opinions and suggestions on what I should practice on my guitar (any opinions and suggestions on the actual situation would be much obliged).

So anyway, let me give you a bit of background information:

Just call me Gloaten I guess. I'm 15 and I've been playing the guitar for about five/six years. I'm a fairly... eh - anti-social teenager is what I'd describe myself as. I have a couple of real life buddies and a group of online friends I talk to.

I have a certain aspect to my personality that is incredibly difficult to cope with and what makes it even harder to deal with is that the majority of the people close to me in my life are sort of like this. No, I'm not blaming anyone other than myself - all I'm saying is I find it extremely hard to deal with and it makes me feel like I'm trapped in this hole and can't get out.

Anyway - Like I said I've been playing the guitar for five/six years yet I'm not too good. I'd say I have an average knowledge about the guitar, but I'm not by any means "good". You want to know why? Practice. Practice, practice, practice. I don't know what happened, somewhere early on something just happened and I just couldn't bring myself to practice that often if at all. This is where that certain aspect of my personality comes in.

Lately as in the past few years this hasn't just applied to my guitar, but almost to everything that I love doing. I can't bring myself to finish a book that I love, to start a game I've been hyped to play, to do homework, to do ANYTHING. I LOVE music, I LOVE playing the guitar and actually a lot of times I'll find myself picking it up and just strumming it melodically - typically with basic major chords such as G or D.

Sorry this thread is already kind of going back and forth and in a lot of places, but I just need to get this out.

It pains me even more because my family seems to think that I'm great at the guitar (though I never play it for them). It's because they always ask me "how's the guitar going?" or something along the lines of that - it pains me because I can't bring myself to let them know how "good" I actually am.

(I forgot to mention that I find it difficult to talk to my parents mainly because like me - my dad has a bit of social anxiety and is a bit awkward to talk to and I just don't know how. And my mom just seems to never actually really listen to me and interrupts me - and it's hard enough for me already because I find it difficult to get words out just like I am right now typing this).

I've kind of lost track of where I am. I've had three guitar teachers - one for less than six months, one for about a year, and now my current one. After I had my current one for a year I also had to take a leave from guitar because my parent's couldn't afford lessons. Surprisingly during that time I seem to recall kind of playing a lot, I'm not really sure, though.

So, I've kind of completely lost track of where this is going, but I'm going to try and sum it up the best I can.

Basically - I'm a 15 year old going into my Sophomore year of High School with only a couple years left to figure out what the **** I need to do with my life. I know that I absolutely LOVE music - I LOVE playing the guitar, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'm trying so hard to get back into and I think part of the issue is that my group of online friends I'm always talking to yet I feel a form of depression a lot of the time when talking to them. It's the same way for one of my real life friend's. I think I need to do something about that, but I don't know.

Here's kind of a run down of stuff I've learned in the past / knowledge gained - a lot of it I can kind of pick back up I think, but I really don't know what to start with. Treat it as if I'm a complete beginner with a bunch of materials:

- Open Chords
- Notes (as in D or G)
- Octives
- 5ths
- Barre Chords
- C.A.G.E.D

- Pentitonic
- Diatonic
- Blues

- Theory 101

- Arpeggios
- Modes

- Warm Ups

- 3 Note Diatonics
- Finger Picking
- C.A.G.E.D - Pentitionic

- Harmonic Minor

Those are basically notes my guitar teacher wrote down on the cover of one of my books. I've also learned a fair number of songs and some other things such as riffs - but... Like I said I just don't know completely where I'm going with this. I essentially feel as if I'm in a hole and can't climb my way out.

I'll try and make edits to this and I'll try and answer any questions or concerns (as there would probably be some considering this whole thread is basically a cluster-****).

By the way, I don't even know if this thread is in the right category, so - sorry if it isn't.

Thank you so much if you actually read up to here. I hope I can get some genuine help.

Edit: Also, sorry for this thread probably not making too much sense. I had a good idea of what I wanted to say in my head, but like I said - I'm bad at trying to get words out. Communication isn't my strong suit.

You need to know where you want to go. Sure you are playing but what are your goals with you playing? The teacher should help you get there.

The other thing is your habits! If you got depression = anger turned inwards then you need to look at your mind and how it works. Anti social is a bad habit. Hanging out with people you don't like the same. Avoiding talking to parents the same.

It looks like you have turned to just playing your guitar as you got no other option because of habits and your mind is reacting to this sending out bad signals to your surroundings. Thereby keeping you in that hole or prison whatever you want to call it.

Set you goals and change the habits until they become fixed in your subconscious which where all habits end up. They then work on auto pilot good or bad.

You are a creative spirit in a human body and all you have to do is to take charge of your life and how you want it to be.

That is the basic mind lesson you have do in order to live a better more fullfielded life. If you want to learn more look for: you were born rich by Bob Proctor on youtube.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jul 27, 2014,
Hey Gloaten,
Being a teenager can be pretty hard. Same with having feelings of anxiety and depression. When I'm feeling anxious or burdened, it really cheers me up to just play a few songs I know. It feels like it slows my brain activity down and pushes away all the excess thoughts so that I can think clearly again.

It sounds like you're using the guitar like a therapeutic tool for meditation. You can get a lot out of this and it's one of the wonders of music. However if you really want to improve in a big way you need to go a step further.

A little bit of work every day will start adding up quickly over time. Try learning a few songs. You can also learn the 7 positions of the major scale. This is an exercise that takes a long time(from my personal experience) but it can be accomplished by spending a little time every day and going through them one position at a time until you can recall each position in each key. You will be grateful in a few months when you have gained all that extra knowledge.
I'm 27 and have been dedicated to the dream of being a guitarist since I was.u have more knowledge of theory then me it seems and the advantage of starting earlier . Whenever you get discouraged close your eyes and imagine yourself nailing a perfect solo at the perfect venue in front of 50000 people. that's what worked 4 me .as u know repetition is the father of learning, I should be better for the years I've been playing if nothing else I have showmanship and dexterity that is rare in 5yr players, dexterity improving that always can and will benefit you. Be inspired and oh yea live practice is golden. if your a antisocial type play long to backing tracks be in time. Make timing second nature. what I lack in theory I feel I make up 4 in timing and my showmanship. And oh yea being able to make beautiful music is a goal worth a life's dedication, The way you perceive things will change and change again so just don't be influenced socially because that guitar and the magic it can give you is worth it
^ Ryder makes good points about visualisation and also timing. A good sense of time is really important and can be achieved with regular practice with a metronome
I would say learn new songs. I would learn stuff in context. Technical exercises may be boring. But if you can practice the same technique by playing good songs, it is a lot more fun.

Also, don't expect yourself to be great. Becoming really good takes time (and I'm pretty sure you will never be completely satisfied with your playing - you will always notice every mistake you make). You could record yourself and then listen to the old recordings and compare yourself to them. You may notice that there's a lot of improvement.

Also, join a band. Playing in a band is fun and it also gives some meaning to playing an instrument. Same with writing your own songs. Just playing other people's songs in your bedroom may not motivate you.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I think a good start for me would be to start going back on my material learned like most said and then while doing that just do some other things such as learning a song.

As for my goal... well. Right now I just need to get back into this.