Page 1 of 6
At least that's the opinion I've just come to after thinking about it a bit.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about hunting for food, not killing endangered rhinos or anything fucking stupid like that. (aye this is inspired by that dumb NRA thing)

Don't get me wrong, I would never eat a dead animal anyway, but I don't think I have as much of a problem with other people doing it when the animal has lived a normal life and been killed humanely and in something vaguely resembling a natural way.

So anyway, thoughts?

I like to eat meat. That's pretty much all I have to say.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
There's a difference between farming and battery led sequestered slaughter. I probably contribute to the latter, and it doesn't play on my conscience a whole deal, but in an ideal world I would rather 7 billion people could live off the first option.
I guess as long as it's not done as a sport and more so for survival, it's alright.

Farming or survival hunting. Either or. I don't think one is better than the other.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 27, 2014,
yeah dude I mean probably but its not like I can buy a gun and start hunting cows so I'm gonna keep buying their body parts from the store sorry

nothing wrong with hunting for survival but yeah hunting for sport is pretty ****ed up
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Jul 27, 2014,
I agree and when people who eat factory farmed meat complain about hunting it's pretty silly.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by daytripper75
That's nice and all, but not even remotely practical these days.

yay you get a medal i was waiting for this

imo you can't rank practicality and convenience over the welfare of animals
I also don't think it is possible to feed the population of the earth the amount of meat it consumes in an entirely ethical way, but I don't think the solution should be becoming less ethical (which is what we have done), but eating less meat.
we would only be able to hunt if we still lived in a society where people didn't cry about the stats of "human over population".

what about the fuking economy?
what about job creation?
what about mass food companies?

You would have to hunt EVERY meat you want to eat. Including fish. (fish farms do exist).

you don't like mcdonalds? how about chipotle?

I'd rather over feed, factory farm, mass produce tons of chickens and have them live in horrid conditions where their legs don't even work and where they only live to eat and lay and eggs then off to the head chopping machine. I don't care how "cruel" or "bad" it sounds. Humans are superior for a reason. And that means making it easier for ALL of us by farming.

plus, if everyone hunted we would surely run out of animals to hunt after a few years with our huge over population.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Fuck you, cheese is delicious. No cow farms = no cheese.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by k.lainad
what about the fuking economy?
what about job creation?
what about mass food companies?

none of this is as important as not torturing animals

Quote by k.lainad
You would have to hunt EVERY meat you want to eat. Including fish. (fish farms do exist).

or have someone hunt it for you (not really behind this cos i don't like the idea of money controlling this sort of thing and basically it all leads to factory farming again)

Quote by k.lainad
you don't like mcdonalds?

no
Quote by k.lainad
how about chipotle?

chipotle is just smoke dried jalapeno and i don't know what it has to do with this leave chipotles out of this

Quote by k.lainad

I'd rather over feed, factory farm, mass produce tons of chickens and have them live in horrid conditions where their legs don't even work and where they only live to eat and lay and eggs then off to the head chopping machine. I don't care how "cruel" or "bad" it sounds. Humans are superior for a reason. And that means making it easier for ALL of us by farming.

wow

Quote by k.lainad

plus, if everyone hunted we would surely run out of animals to hunt after a few years with our huge over population.

this is true if you're allowed to pay other people to hunt significant amounts for you and would require regulation obviously

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuck you, cheese is delicious. No cow farms = no cheese.

yep sorry
I do admittedly eat dairy sometimes but feel quite bad about it
Yeah I agree with this. If I were to go back to eating meat it would probably only be game. There's something less gross and weird about hunting.

EDIT: Dairy and eggs are weird and gross.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by k.lainad

Jesus Christ. I thought you were despicable before.
PM me for newts
completely disagree snazz because "farming" includes standards that provide a higher welfare than they could expect in the wild and slaughtering techniques that are superior to your average hunter. those standards do not exist yet but if i were president of the world and you handed me the bill i'd sign it and prolly put a smiley face on one of the middle pages too.
i don't know why i feel so dry
This thread is going kinda weirdly.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Eastwinn
completely disagree snazz because "farming" includes standards that provide a higher welfare than they could expect in the wild

it's not really about some objective "welfare" standard, more that they're born into captivity and live as slaves. even if they have a good life, they live it at the whim of the farmer. but also no because have you seen those mental battery farms.

Quote by Eastwinn
slaughtering techniques that are superior to your average hunter. those standards do not exist yet but if i were president of the world and you handed me the bill i'd sign it and prolly put a smiley face on one of the middle pages too.

yes this is true and i will hand u this bill when ur president of the world

Quote by ErikLensherr
This thread is going kinda weirdly.

i know it's kinda freaking me out a bit
Quote by captainsnazz

Don't get me wrong, I would never eat a dead animal anyway

So what if like, I just cut a piece off of one and it doesn't die?

I'm fine with hunting, and I don't think much about life my food lived before it was slaughtered.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by StewieSwan
Jesus Christ. I thought you were despicable before.

dude, this is REALITY. This is happening RIGHT NOW in factories all over the world. Go watch a KFC documentary. The eat you you eat at x and y resturant probably comes from a factory where this torture and cruelty happens. Im not animal rights activist or anything, and quite frankly, i don't really care about the "rights" of animals. They don't have the mental capacity to do anything other than sit around, eat, produce little ones, and hunt. Sure, animals have emotions and a viceral sense of self, but the ones we eat are... how should i say this... "disposable" in out society.

This truth is despicable, im just saying it's better to have food than be "kind" and die of hunger in the long run.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

We've evolved beyond hunting...thank god, I don't have time to do that every day
Quote by captainsnazz
it's not really about some objective "welfare" standard, more that they're born into captivity and live as slaves. even if they have a good life, they live it at the whim of the farmer. but also no because have you seen those mental battery farms.

the farmer would serve these purposes
1. assist in healthy birth
2. maintain the habitat of the animals
3. provide medical care / euthanasia for sick animals
4. provide excess nutrition / stabilize food resources throughout the habitat
5. slaughter animals at appropriate times

in this model i fail to see the farmer as a slave driver nor the animals as slaves. if the habitat is sufficiently large and contains anything they would ever want in their animal lives then what reason would they have to leave? religious freedom?
Quote by k.lainad
dude, this is REALITY. This is happening RIGHT NOW in factories all over the world. Go watch a KFC documentary.

I've seen more documentaries than your dumb ass ever will.

The eat you you eat at x and y resturant probably comes from a factory where this torture and cruelty happens.

And it's awful

Im not animal rights activist or anything.

Tell me more

They don't have the mental capacity to do anything other than sit around, eat, produce little ones, and hunt. Sure, animals have emotions and a viceral sense of self, but the ones we eat are... how should i say this... "disposable" in out society.

There are literally people like this, yet I'd imagine you wouldn't be OK with slaughtering and eating them because they lack your amazing "mental capacity".

This truth is despicable, im just saying it's better to have food than be "kind" and die of hunger in the long run.

I agree that the truth is unfortunate, but my issue with you is not that you aren't a vegetarian or anything. It's that rather than wanting to kill animals in a humane way and maybe cut down on the number of animals we kill, you're all "fuck animals! make them suffer! I don't give a fuck if they can't even walk during their short lives. meat meat meat meat hell yeah"
PM me for newts
I think its important that as sentient beings we make strives to improve the conditions in the farmed food sector. That much is obvious; but we definitely rely on the macro scale farmed food method so we can survive in our society's current state. If we didnt have it this way, im certain we would digress as a species since our individual priorities would all drastically shift.

I think an important thing to also keep in mind though is that in nature when animals kill eachother for food, its not usually a clean humane kill. Ive seen a video of hyenas eating a buffalo a-s-s end first with the thing still alive. Im not trying to justify the way it is, but we have to start somewhere, identify a problem, and then progress
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Our motto was, "only open fire if it's dinner or vermin"
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Watterboy
I think its important that as sentient beings we make strives to improve the conditions in the farmed food sector. That much is obvious; but we definitely rely on the macro scale farmed food method so we can survive in our society's current state. If we didnt have it this way, im certain we would digress as a species since our individual priorities would all drastically shift.

I think an important thing to also keep in mind though is that in nature when animals kill eachother for food, its not usually a clean humane kill. Ive seen a video of hyenas eating a buffalo a-s-s end first with the thing still alive. Im not trying to justify the way it is, but we have to start somewhere, identify a problem, and then progress

Running a quarter mile with an arrow in your lungs probably doesn't feel good either.

Dieing sucks.
Quote by Watterboy
Ive seen a video of hyenas eating a buffalo a-s-s end first with the thing still alive

hyenas are champs :')
Quote by jakesmellspoo
As a Noahide I am prohibited from animal cruelty, however, if an animal is raised for slaughter in kosher conditions, I see no problem with it. I also don't waste any food unless there is a fishbone in my filet or something, in which case I spit it out. Anything else I have left over goes to the dogs.
Quote by NewDayHappy
As a Noahide I am prohibited from animal cruelty, however, if an animal is raised for slaughter in kosher conditions, I see no problem with it.

let's all point and laugh at this guy.

You can polish a turd all you want, slaughter is slaughter.
Last edited by Wormholes at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by Wormholes

You can polish a turd all you want, slaughter is slaughter.

Do you believe in a creator?

If you believe in intelligent design, then why do we have canine incisors?
I do it on the reg, and I don't know if it's ethically "better" or not considering how many people are routinely fed through agriculture. However, I do think the animals I kill probably lived a better life, and I am confident enough in my processing abilities that I trust that meat more than something one might pick up at Wal-mart. Of course, statistically, there very well be more privately slaughtered meats that are unsafe or unsanitary than what comes through the food system, but one's own abilities dictate that risk and I've never had any problems.

So, in conclusion, I don't know, but I kinda like it more which just might be my emotional attachment/bias/whatever to the activity.
Quote by captainsnazz
Do they care though? We care about other humans being treated this way, because we can know directly, or indirectly, that that sort of life goes against their will. Does an ordinary domesticated livestock ponder its own liberty? Or is it more concerned with food, safety and reproduction?
Quote by k.lainad
The eat you you eat

the eat i i eat indeed
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Wormholes

I don't think laughing is necessarily an appropriate response to what someone views as holy of sacred. Disagree with it all you want, argue all you want, but laughing at it is, I think, pretty rude and somewhat ignorant

After thinking about it, obviously something needs to change. Or at least, ideally, should change. I'm with Ean (I swear, I probably don't always agree with you, but it seems like I do). Eating meat is pretty much inevitable. I can see its consumption decreasing, particularly as more health studies come out showing that certain types of meat are unhealthy (like red meat, and who wants to eat an overcooked steak?). But even no matter how much meat consumption we cut down, I think it will always remain at least as a delicacy. Because of that, we do need the farms that Eastwinn was describing. Farmers who take care of the animals, treat the animals, and have welfare for the animals. Make it as humane and respectful as possible.
Quote by captainsnazz
At least that's the opinion I've just come to after thinking about it a bit.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about hunting for food, not killing endangered rhinos or anything fucking stupid like that. (aye this is inspired by that dumb NRA thing)

Don't get me wrong, I would never eat a dead animal anyway, but I don't think I have as much of a problem with other people doing it when the animal has lived a normal life and been killed humanely and in something vaguely resembling a natural way.

So anyway, thoughts?

I suppose letting the people in the cities go without any meat because they can't hunt is the ethical way to go.
Quote by JustRooster
I suppose letting the people in the cities go without any meat because they can't hunt is the ethical way to go.

I think I just solved the rat problem many cities face. Beggars can't be choosers.
Quote by JustRooster

release all the animals into the city

obviously
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Baby Joel
After thinking about it, obviously something needs to change. Or at least, ideally, should change. I'm with Ean (I swear, I probably don't always agree with you, but it seems like I do). Eating meat is pretty much inevitable. I can see its consumption decreasing, particularly as more health studies come out showing that certain types of meat are unhealthy (like red meat, and who wants to eat an overcooked steak?). But even no matter how much meat consumption we cut down, I think it will always remain at least as a delicacy. Because of that, we do need the farms that Eastwinn was describing. Farmers who take care of the animals, treat the animals, and have welfare for the animals. Make it as humane and respectful as possible.

fwiw i don't think meat is necessary for our health individually or as a society.
Nah it definitely isn't. It's tasty, and that's why we'll always eat it, even if only the richest of the rich have access to it.
I agree that hunting is better than the really bad farms, and can be better than the more 'humane' farms if it's done 'humanely'. Obviously hunting only is not an economic option, but I am not convinced that gradually phasing out meat will destroy the world economy. There will be temporary unemployment before people find new jobs in related industries, as in other outdated industries.