Hi all – so, here the background: I was at an auction and saw a very cool looking Gibson Atlas Amp (never saw one before). My first thought was ‘oh yeah, it’s mine’. Second thoughts were ‘where am I going to put it and how am I getting it home’. Followed by ‘how do I get this monstrosity into the house and past my wife’?

Anyway, I can’t find any kind of model number / information other than is here. I know it is a Gibson, and was made in Kalamazoo (pictured). It has one speaker, a bass, treble and ‘loudness’ knob (not ‘volume – which I think is just cool). I could be wrong, but I think it is a bass amp.

On the front is the number (Serial?) 705282 and on the transformer (?) is “TF -472-0’ and under that is ‘606340’ (the legit serial #?)

The speaker has an ‘S 0127’ on it.

So…I know Gibson made a few of these amps, but I can’t tell which one this is – can someone with more knowledge offer any insight into just what I have here and what a fair selling price might be? Per a deal with my wife (the dreaded ‘too much gear’ deal) I am hoping to sell this (or at least trade for something else). To be honest, it really does take up a lot of room but this thing rocks!

All help is appreciated!
Quote by Just_Me_09
Hi all – so, here the background: I was at an auction and saw a very cool looking Gibson Atlas Amp (never saw one before). My first thought was ‘oh yeah, it’s mine’. Second thoughts were ‘where am I going to put it and how am I getting it home’. Followed by ‘how do I get this monstrosity into the house and past my wife’?

Anyway, I can’t find any kind of model number / information other than is here. I know it is a Gibson, and was made in Kalamazoo (pictured). It has one speaker, a bass, treble and ‘loudness’ knob (not ‘volume – which I think is just cool). I could be wrong, but I think it is a bass amp.

On the front is the number (Serial?) 705282 and on the transformer (?) is “TF -472-0’ and under that is ‘606340’ (the legit serial #?)

The speaker has an ‘S 0127’ on it.

So…I know Gibson made a few of these amps, but I can’t tell which one this is – can someone with more knowledge offer any insight into just what I have here and what a fair selling price might be? Per a deal with my wife (the dreaded ‘too much gear’ deal) I am hoping to sell this (or at least trade for something else). To be honest, it really does take up a lot of room but this thing rocks!

All help is appreciated!

there is really not much to tell you off the information provided. the serial number will give us no insight into the model, there also seem to be some internal part codes that don't mean much either (unless we are trying to find the part to put it together). the one piece of information you provide i can tell you something about is the 606340 on the transformer. 606 means it's a schumacher transformer, and the 3 means the amp was made either in 1953 or 1963, the 40 means it was made in the 40th week of that year.

most gibson amps had one speaker. if it had more than one then that would be far more telling. you are most likely looking at a ~1963 gibson amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Gibson bass amp probably around 1965, 15" speaker and maybe 50 watts. There is a Gibson vintage amp page somewhere that has a good catalog of their amps.

Here you go...
http://www.0rigami.com/gg/amps3.html#Atlas-IV_Power-Plus
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 27, 2014,
Looks like an old piece of crap. There is a reason you've never heard of them.

Hope you didn't spend more then $25 for it
Quote by Smigzy

Don't be a douche. Looks can be deceiving, especially for something of that age.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
Don't be a douche. Looks can be deceiving, especially for something of that age.

Just because it says "Gibson" on it doesn't mean it is some kind of lost gem. That thing looks beat and I would guess sounds like sh!t. When is the last time you've seen a speaker with a square magnet? Things gotta be at least 40- 50 years old

I'm. Not trying to be a downer. But no way that thing is worth more then 25$
Last edited by Smigzy at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by Smigzy
Just because it says "Gibson" on it doesn't mean it is some kind of lost gem. That thing looks beat and I would guess sounds like sh!t. When is the last time you've seen a speaker with a square magnet? Things gotta be at least 40- 50 years old

So? Who cares? Don't try to make the guy feel bad (I'm not saying it was a bad purchase for whatever you paid for it).
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Smigzy

But ts didn't say anything about the value, he's just curious about the amp. No offense but you do come off pretty crass and as a hater. Who cares what its worth, its a cool, new (to him) amp.

Now, group hug!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Smigzy

And just because it looks old and beat up doesn't mean its a piece of shit.
Quote by Smigzy

An old Gibson tube amp is only worth $25? ANY old Gibson tube amp? You sir, are a dumbass.

Back in the 80's I knew a guy that ran a Fender Rhodes piano through an Atlas with JBL's. Sounded wicked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
An old Gibson tube amp is only worth $25? ANY old Gibson tube amp? You sir, are a dumbass.

+1

i usually don't just bash, but i have played a number of old gibson amps (i even own a EA-300RVT which is a version of a GA-95) and the amp are far from crap. calling it crap without even knowing what it is... well lets just say he underminded his legitimacy.

it looks like an old Atlas IV (though it seems you already identified it as an atlas). there are some ebay listings for it for about 500 USD, and that seems about right. the gibson amps are not really highly sought after, i got my EA-300 for a little under 500 and that was a big flagship/loaded model. most of the smaller gibson amps i see go for about 200 to 300 (in working order).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 28, 2014,
I suppose he may not actually be a dumbass per se, maybe he's just a really inept troll.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification