I've had this pedal for about 4 months now and I'm pretty underwhelmed with it. I'm going from an american strat to the green rhino in the front, to a peavey delta blues 115. I'm going for a SRV, Jimi, John Mayer, typical blues overdriven tone, that i feel i should be able to accomplish quite well through this setup, yet i just can't find a tone that i like, and i've done a bunch of tweaking.

Interestingly, i had a suhr riot distortion before this, and had the same issues. I brought it back and sold it to the kid who works at my local shop, and he demoed it through a fender '68 and it sounded incredible. I've heard the 15 inch speaker in my delta blues might just not take these pedals too well.

Any thoughts or advice? Different pedal options? I'm actually planning on selling the 115 and picking up the fender '68 within a few weeks.
I just tried out a Boss OD-1X. Its a pretty sweet pedal for driving a clean amp. I tired it on both my JCA50H and AC30CCH and it worked great with both. Tons of gain on tap, two eq knobs, and can be easily dialed back for a light boost. I highly recommend it. Was about $175 CAD taxes in.

My rhythm guitarist now uses it with his deville 112, and he's nailing a Kings of Leon type rhythm tone (the pedal is at just about over half on the gain).

I tried a delta blues 115 once before, if I remember it right, I think the Boss would work great with it.

I haven;t tried the green rhino myself, so I can;t comment on that.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jul 27, 2014,
If you plan on getting a new amplifier, I'd recommend keeping the pedal and seeing how it does with the new amplifier.

I think you're in the right direction with the Green Rhino as well. You could also add a Bad Monkey (they're cheap) for that classic SRV double Tube Screamer setup.
Quote by I K0nijn I
If you plan on getting a new amplifier, I'd recommend keeping the pedal and seeing how it does with the new amplifier.

I think you're in the right direction with the Green Rhino as well. You could also add a Bad Monkey (they're cheap) for that classic SRV double Tube Screamer setup.

+1

BM is a great pedal for the value, and you may be surprised how different the GR might sound on a different amp.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
If it sounds too woofy, maybe try an sd1 or a fulldrive 2 to crisp it up a lil. If you want it raunchier try a BD2. If you want note clarity but don't need a lotta gain try the ehx Soul Food. If you want a fatter tone try the Xotic fx AC Booster. Btw, I'm basing these suggestions/opinions off using them with single coil guitars through a '65 Super Reverb-ish amp. I loved the DB 115 that I jammed with for probably bout an hour, I think the right pedal and/or speaker change and/or good tubes will get you where you wanna go.

The Soul Food would tighten things up a lil and add some grit, that'd be my pick with that amp (disclaimer: I just got the sf, still honeymooning). But a Fulldrive 2 would be super versatile and crispify your tone a lil/lot.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I don't want to come off as being rude, but how's your playing? I'm not gonna bore you with yet another "Tone is in the fingers" lecture, but with blues especially, I find you really have to coax the sound you want out of whatever you're using. With SRV and JM, those aren't tones that are gonna pop out of a box. SRV in particular was incredibly good at using every inch of the strat to get whatever sound he heard. I wasn't in the shop, but it's possible that the kid doing the demo through the Fender may just have been good. I am by no means an expert player and I'm not trying to offend in any way. It's just something to think about. I'm sure it'll come in time!
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
I don't want to come off as being rude, but how's your playing? I'm not gonna bore you with yet another "Tone is in the fingers" lecture, but with blues especially, I find you really have to coax the sound you want out of whatever you're using. With SRV and JM, those aren't tones that are gonna pop out of a box. SRV in particular was incredibly good at using every inch of the strat to get whatever sound he heard. I wasn't in the shop, but it's possible that the kid doing the demo through the Fender may just have been good. I am by no means an expert player and I'm not trying to offend in any way. It's just something to think about. I'm sure it'll come in time!

I'm an intermediate player. I've been playing about 18 years, but I sing, so I played rhythm for a large chunk of that. The kid playing at the shop is decent, but I believe we're about the same in terms of skill.
Quote by RyanMW2010
I'm going for a SRV, Jimi, John Mayer, typical blues overdriven tone…

Those are three distinct tones. Do you want to sound like ten different amps mixed together, a Marshall cranked to fück, or a Dumble cranked to fück? And are you trying to match album tones? Because that’s just not going to happen outside of a studio.

That said, if you aren’t happy with a pedal after four months, ditch it and try something else. Go to the pedal store and try pedals until you find something you like. But you have to be willing to accept something that your amp can produce at tolerable volumes, and that’s just not going to sound like Stevie, Jimi, or John.
I've never played through a Peavey I liked, so I could be biased, but I don't know if they could pull of the tones you're pursuing. This could be quite an obvious response, but if you're planning to sell the gear, why not go for the proven rigs for the SRV/driven Mayer sound? A Fender amp with 6L6s and Jensen speakers, and an Ibanez TS(insert your preference here, any will do) are used by many to get these tones.

By the way, I also go for the SRV/Mayer tones, and I have similar gear that can accomplish what we're pursuing. Stratocaster MIA > Fulltone OCD > Fender-Super-Sonic 60 (though this amp isn't my mainstay, I'm using it to compare since you are considering a Fender amp).
The person who mentioned your skill is right. It's not so much as skill in being able to play things, it's about control of how you play them. Most of their overdrive comes from their hands. They're playing hard through cranked amps. A pedal can't replicate that. You wouldn't need a pedal to get those tones with a DB.
Quote by I K0nijn I

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wait till you get the new amp before you decide on anything. Honestly, I think it's the large 15" speaker that's throwing it off. I don't even like 15s on bass, let alone a guitar...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
on the more' 'budget' kind or thing, if you don't like the Green Rhino, you might not like tubesereamers . i don't own one, but i have played with them a LOT and they IMO sound like a good TS that you can tweak so much to get you where you want to be.

maybe if its not the amp, the TS thing isn't for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/