For this song, is it ok to only use my thumb and pointer finger? Or should I try utilizing all of my fingers? It just feels natural only using those two fingers.
I'd probably use three fingers so you get a nice clean hit on the top two notes but if you can make it sound good it doesn't make that much difference.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm not sure how you could play "Tears In Heaven" using just the thumb and index finger. You need the thumb for the low E string and at least two fingers playing the higher strings.
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm not sure how you could play "Tears In Heaven" using just the thumb and index finger. You need the thumb for the low E string and at least two fingers playing the higher strings.

Use one finger in a sort of strum motion rather than plucking. Like I said, not necessarily advised but fine if it sounds good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's okay to do whatever you want if it sounds right. but it's not really the proper way to play the song. I would work on grabbing the chords as they were originally played. It'll sound the most authentic and it's also a common and useful technique on the guitar. Forcing yourself to learn it properly will only make you a better guitarist.