Hi. I'm looking for a 1x12 combo that I plan to use for playing shoegaze-ish music, and also acoustic covers (Of Monster and Men, later Thrice, etc.) and guitar-centred folk music. For the shoegaze, I will be using my looper, and full pedalboard, and every other pedal I have

I need a great clean sound as most of my tones will be coming from my pedals. I would also be dabbling in the blues, rock and roll, indie rock, and pretty much everything lighter than hard rock. This will also be my practice amp.

I'm thinking a Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod Deluxe would be right up my alley, but I would like more opinions.

Budget? - I'm comfortable with $500. Can stretch it though.

Favorite Artists? - Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, later Thrice, Minus the Bear, and Radiohead, to name a few.

Preferences? - Must have a great clean tone. Thats it. Footswitchable reverb and tremolo would be nice, but if I need them, I can get pedals for it. Would an effects loop be needed? I don't want to rearrange my pedalboard whenever I play through said amp.

I would also like it to be tube, and to have more than 15 watts. A lot of headroom would be nice as I will almost always be playing through the amp itself clean.

New or Used? - Both. However, I will most likely be buying blind as I am a 5 hour drive away from the nearest city (different province) and an 8 hour drive away from the biggest city in my province (Manitoba).

Location? - Flin Flon Manitoba.

Current Gear? - In sig. Also, Fender MiM Tele, Yamaha G100H, Engl Gigmaster, Blackstar HTV-212.

Ideally, I could sell my Engl and Blackstar 2x12 to buy a better, more portable combo amp that I don't mind lugging around.

tl;dr

I need a 1x12 tube combo that has amazing cleans, decent headroom, can take pedals well, and is decently portable, to play shoegaze and nu-folk and pop with, for about $500, used or new.

Thanks in advance GG&A.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Jul 27, 2014,
I think you're headed in the right direction with the Fender's.

Maybe look at a Vox AC30, or what ever that Laney equivalent is.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
They're somewhat hard to find, but check out the Randall RM20. Its only 20w but it has noticeably more headroom than my Egnater Rebel 20. I have the Blackface module in it and it fits your description if it has enough headroom for you. As a bonus it has the swappable module thing going for it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Does it have to be a 1x12? That limits you a tad. Personally, I'd go for a big ol' Fender and a trolley.

Of course, there's always the Randall RM50 combo. Throw in a couple of nice modules (Tweed. Blackface, etc) and you're away. They're a 1x12.
Or go the whole hog and get an RM100, they have three module slots. Extremely heavy 2x12 combo though. I don't even try to carry mine by myself. I get somebody to help me lift it onto my trolley and I wheel it everywhere it needs to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the Fender HRD- wonderful cleans. Dirt channel, not so much.

A similarly priced Vox 1x12 combo would also be a good option.

I would also look at Carvin, assuming they're not exorbitantly jacked up in price by taxes, tariffs & shipping. The Nomad or Belair will deliver clean tones as good as anyone's.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/NOMAD
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BELAIR
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes Cath, I would very much like it to be a 1x12. Its going to be my clean/blues/rock n' roll amp. I may go for an RM20 or 50 depending on what I can find/what I need. I know you adore your RM100, but it is overkill for my needs. I'm looking for a sporty sedan, and you're showing me... a crazy car thats also a truck thats also a boat that flies

This amp would be mostly a home practice amp, but occasionally a gigging amp. So it doesn't have to be super big or the best of the best. Average will be fine, but the better bang for the buck I can get, I'll take.

I was thinking about Voxes as well, but I'm not sure if I'm more fond of the classic Fender or Vox sounds yet.

An Egnater may work too. Carvins will be stupid pricey new, but I've seen a few on kijiji (Canadian craigslist) come up, so theres hope.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Carvins will be stupid pricey new, but I've seen a few on kijiji (Canadian craigslist) come up, so theres hope.

???
I realize Canadian and US dollars are not equivalent in value, but the 2 I suggested aren't THAT expensive! Cheaper than my HRD was (new) at least.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 28, 2014,
I concur with your Fender choices. Also Mesa Studio 22 and you might find a Mesa F-30 at that price. The Mesas have essentially a Fender Princeton clean circuit and heavenly OD for Blues Classic Rock, Country, Fusion.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by dannyalcatraz
???
I realize Canadian and US dollars are not equivalent in value, but the 2 I suggested aren't THAT expensive! Cheaper than my HRD was (new) at least.

With import fees, shipping, etc. it probably will be. I may be totally wrong, but import fees might be around $100, and shipping may be another $75 going by Carvins quote. The amp itself isn't badly priced at all, but all the extras are gonna get me.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I second the fender recs.
If you can stretch your budget a litttle further, a deluxe reverb reissue will do you well. Slightly better cleans than the blues jr IMO along with footswitchable trem and reverb. (good reverb)
Quote by AWACS
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes Cath, I would very much like it to be a 1x12. Its going to be my clean/blues/rock n' roll amp. I may go for an RM20 or 50 depending on what I can find/what I need. I know you adore your RM100, but it is overkill for my needs. I'm looking for a sporty sedan, and you're showing me... a crazy car thats also a truck thats also a boat that flies

The RM50 isn't that complex really. It only takes two modules. Still I guess it's got MIDI and will accept almost any tube known to man - with individual bias on both power tubes that a trained monkey could set so you don't even need matched pairs. You can chuck whatever octal tube is at hand, bias it up and keep on rocking.
That alone makes it worth getting. I guess that's the "flying boat" part, huh?

Watch ebay and CL (or whatever Canucks have). We've seen guys pick up RM's for crazy cheap prices used over in the US. Often with a Blackface module already in it. Watch US ebay I reckon.

Other than that, what about an Egnater of your preference? Tweaker, Rebel, w/e floats your boat. They're a solid little amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by AWACS
With import fees, shipping, etc. it probably will be. I may be totally wrong, but import fees might be around $100, and shipping may be another $75 going by Carvins quote. The amp itself isn't badly priced at all, but all the extras are gonna get me.

Gotcha!

That!s what I feared, even though they had an American/Canadian flag fusion symbol when I was looking t it as opposed to their "international" side. The price and the shipping might be comperable, but your import fees would boost it a bit.

Probably still cheaper than a new HRD, though! (Mine was nearly $800 new.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Gotcha!

That!s what I feared, even though they had an American/Canadian flag fusion symbol when I was looking t it as opposed to their "international" side. The price and the shipping might be comperable, but your import fees would boost it a bit.

Probably still cheaper than a new HRD, though! (Mine was nearly $800 new.)

I would assume that the Carvin would be better than the HRD as well? Ive heard time and time again that Carvin makes great guitars, but I haven't heard about their amps, and it would be a PITA if it needed warantee work. I will definitely check them out though.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
http://www.musicgoround.com/p/40145/used-randall-rm20-wjtm-card

I think it's overpriced for what it is, and probably isn't the module you want.

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/171259/used-randall-rm100m-100-watt-tube-guitar-amp-head

This is still available.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
http://www.musicgoround.com/p/40145/used-randall-rm20-wjtm-card

I think it's overpriced for what it is, and probably isn't the module you want.

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/171259/used-randall-rm100m-100-watt-tube-guitar-amp-head

This is still available.

The RM20 with a different module may work, but the RM100 is just too big and isn't a combo. I already have my "everything" amp in my Mesa/Boogie Mark V. The Mesa and future 1x12 would be used for entirely different projects.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
I would assume that the Carvin would be better than the HRD as well? Ive heard time and time again that Carvin makes great guitars, but I haven't heard about their amps, and it would be a PITA if it needed warantee work. I will definitely check them out though.

"Better" is too subjective.

However, I have heard Carvin amps before- live or recorded, amateur & pro- and they're very good.

Quote by AWACS
The RM20 with a different module may work, but the RM100 is just too big and isn't a combo. I already have my "everything" amp in my Mesa/Boogie Mark V. The Mesa and future 1x12 would be used for entirely different projects.

You already have a Mk V? No need for another Mesa then, you need something different.

If you want to use pedals I suggest a Blues Jr. If you would rather have a simple grab-&-go amp with great cleans and useable onboard effects, consider a Fender Super Champ XD/X2. It's a tube hybrid with DSP effects and adds a nice pallet of tones that compliment my Mesa. Small and light weight so great for practice and just enough to gig a small room. Worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGeWr6dHvFk
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
There is an RM100 combo, I have one. But it's a huge 2x12 that weighs a metric shitload. That's why I recommended the RM50 combo - it's a 1x12.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification