I have a tubemeister5. Would changing the tubes give me more gain? Better sound? I read on some forums that some guys buy a couple and try them out. So how do you pick out tubes? Is there anywhere i can go that will tell me how the different tubes sound? Do i replace the power tubes or the preamps tubes?
https://tubedepot.com/products/12bh7a
http://tctubes.com/RCA-12BH7-12BH7A.aspx

http://tctubes.com/GE-12AX7-long-plates.aspx

It isn't going to increase distortion. Lots of SS stuff going on it there too. Better tubes will just open it up more.
What's in there at the moment?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 28, 2014,
you only have two tubes. may as well swap them. 12BH7 for power and a 12ax7 for pre, right?

go for it. if you want the bang for your buck would get a cab for a 12".
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lp4lifessamberl
Not sure i just bought it

the tubes are the orange things that look like a skinny lightbuib. one probably has an aluminum cover.

i checked and here: http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/tubemeister/tubemeister-5/

it tells which type the tube are (that is what i was thinking), and you replace them. the wiggle out straight up, DON'T TWIST. watch some "tube swap" videos on youtube. you won't need to bias with the tubes you have.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jul 28, 2014,
well, you could change the pre amp tube to something that breaks up earlier.
you can try a RFT 12ax7. i think they were built in the old telefunken factory.
worked great in my jcm
hold on, if youre looking to get ALOT more gain a tube isnt gonna cut it.
which guitar / cab do you have?
Quote by lp4lifessamberl
How doi know if a tube will with my amp or not? Does voltage come into play?

Any 12AX7 will do. I'd get a JJ, GE or RFT as already mentioned though.

As much as we like to say that putting new tubes in an amp to replace the crappy ones that are probably in there is the key - this may be a case where that may not do much. I mean, you've got 1 little power tube, 1 little preamp tube and probably some solid state as mentioned. If the preamp tube is a phase inverter then replacing tubes isn't going to do much on that amp. I'm NOT trying to complicate things for you.

Also, I have a video I made of swapping preamp tubes if that will help.

My fear is you are just not going to get what you want out of that amp.

Have you tried a clean boost (like tubescreamer or bad monkey OD)?

VeilSide was asking what guitar you have - presumedly to understand what pickups you have.

It certainly is not your cab's fault

Edited for better understanding

Get a JAN 5751 and put it in the preamp slot.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 30, 2014,
i don't mean to derail, but you can't really make an amplifier with less than three tubes, can you? the 5E3 tweed is bare basics and it has one preamp tube, a rectifier tube, and a power tube. (after thought: if you had SS rec you could kind of cheat it a bit but that would be something you disclose).

and they have wayyyyy insanely less gain.

there has to be SS stuff in there (already been stated) i am not trying to pick a fight at all, but do you know where that 12x7 is in the amp. for example if it is a tube that acts as a PI it may not be worth throwing something higher end in there. i am assuming it is the gain structure so likely it should be a wonderful improvement, then you have your tubes as extras in case one were to fail.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Two if it has a SS rectifier like the Champion 600. If it is A/B then you could get away with 3 if it has a SS rectifier. To do that you'd need a cathodyne PI and the other side as the preamp. That would make it a single triode preamp which will work (ie the low input of a 1974X is one triode) but you won't get any distortion without cranking the volume right up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Two if it has a SS rectifier like the Champion 600. If it is A/B then you could get away with 3 if it has a SS rectifier. To do that you'd need a cathodyne PI and the other side as the preamp. That would make it a single triode preamp which will work (ie the low input of a 1974X is one triode) but you won't get any distortion without cranking the volume right up.

i said that above, just not as clear. are they A/B in the tubemeister? push/pull, correct?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Correct. And btw, cathodyne phase inverters are quite rare, rarely seen outside of old Fenders. Normally the PI takes up both sides of the tube.
The Tubemeister 18 has an op-amp front end. We established that conclusively in another thread. There is NO doubt at all after seeing the gutshots.
I don't know about the 5 but with those tubes it will be a/b. So you would be correct - SS shenanigans going on in there like it's big brother.

Edit: my guess would be that it has the same configuration as a HT5. ie SS PI and op-amp front end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 30, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Correct. And btw, cathodyne phase inverters are quite rare, rarely seen outside of old Fenders. Normally the PI takes up both sides of the tube.
The Tubemeister 18 has an op-amp front end. We established that conclusively in another thread. There is NO doubt at all after seeing the gutshots.
I don't know about the 5 but with those tubes it will be a/b. So you would be correct - SS shenanigans going on in there like it's big brother.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard

Edit: my guess would be that it has the same configuration as a HT5. ie SS PI and op-amp front end.

that would make more sense. and that was part of the reason i was hesitant to throw a recommendation at a expensive tube not knowing what it was for in the amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Good tubes wouldn't hurt though. I wouldn't expect miracles but they'd be pushing the preamp tube with op-amps. Whether they also have diode clipping I wouldn't like to presume. They probably do but I don't know. It could just be pushing the tube but without seeing the insides of one, anything could be going on in there. My money would be on it essentially being a HT5 clone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Good tubes wouldn't hurt though. I wouldn't expect miracles but they'd be pushing the preamp tube with op-amps. Whether they also have diode clipping I wouldn't like to presume. They probably do but I don't know. It could just be pushing the tube but without seeing the insides of one, anything could be going on in there. My money would be on it essentially being a HT5 clone.

i was just meaning trying a typical tube JJ or something not a NOS that costs $40+ in there. if it does drive a large difference maybe then it would be worth going NOS. i also am not an expert on NOS at all.

really i just run JJ's. they last long for me, sound good to me and they are cheap. however i sometimes will swap something in. i have probably 30 used preamp tubes pulled out of amps when i get an amp and retube it. most are nothing great... lol, but good enough for experimentation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well, you may have noticed that I showed him a relatively cheap GE, not a Bugle Boy or Telefunken.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I threw a spare Mullard 12ax7 in mine. Personally I love this little guy. I think it sounds great. I use it for practice and I've gigged with it more than a handful of times. Ever since running in ears and our own mix, even at venues, I feel comfortable gigging with it. I have a pedal board that covers everything we play should I need to not use my Mesa.

The amp also has a lot of gain on tap in my opinion. It's no 5150, but it has a lot. Push it with a ts9.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify