So the nearest music store to me sells Tokai LP style guitars. They are cheaper than a high-end Epi and obviously a Gibson. Should I be comparing Tokai to Epiphone or Gibson. I don't own any of these brands but when I first started playing guitar, I was a huge Les Paul loyalist. If I were to get a LP, should I consider these or save up to get an Epi Les Paul Standard?

Thanks
What is the model numbers? some are MIK and others MIJ.

i've never tried a MIK so i can't comment on personal experience with those, but the MIJ ones would be more similar to a Gibson and the MIK would likely be more similar to the EPI.
I own 2 Tokais one SG and one Flying V, both of them are great guitars and many people that have tried them have said that they feel like a Gibson guitar. Can only say good about them.
Others accuse me of being evil when I'm just thinking differently
MIJ Tokais are really high quality. My cousin has one (dont know the model. I have played it only once so far) and outside of the almost ******ed weight (and this is coming from a really big, bulky guy) it felt really, really good to play. I guess its quite faithful copy to old solid body Gibsons, for good and bad. :p

I have not touched a MIK or MIC ones but they should be comparable to other guitars in same price range.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The thing with Tokai is that they are making everything from low end copies up to super high end models equal to Gibson Customshop and beyond under their own name, as well as producing guitars for Fender Japan, and I would guess, others.

It is impossible to say how good a guitar is without knowing model number and year.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
^ yeah. the MIJ ones (that I've tried) have been really good. The non-MIJ ones haven't been as good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You should compare the MIJ... To a LP Custom at LEAST. Build quality and tone are nearly unmatchable. If you want something a bit lower than a 1959 LP without paying the outrageous price, this is it.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone