Hi i have a 1971 sg that has been sanded down to the bare wood. I eventually want to refinish it to the original stain etc and get it done by a professional. I dont have the money for that currently so I was wondering if oiling it with lemon oil just as a stopgap for a year or two (reapplying every few months) would protect the wood or what other options do I have ?
Quote by tonehunter1992
Hi i have a 1971 sg that has been sanded down to the bare wood. I eventually want to refinish it to the original stain etc and get it done by a professional. I dont have the money for that currently so I was wondering if oiling it with lemon oil just as a stopgap for a year or two (reapplying every few months) would protect the wood or what other options do I have ?

No.

It won't protect it. If you're going to refinish it, put it in a case and put it away.
If you're planning to play it in the meantime, you're likely to stain the wood with sweat and moisture. Mineral oil isn't going to help you. Leave it alone.

There are two kinds of "lemon oil" by the way -- one is mineral oil with some cleaning solvents added (often no lemon of any kind) used for furniture polish. The other is true lemon oil (which is never recommended for guitars) used for cooking.
I would put some light coats of dewaxed shellac (sanding sealer) on it. It should give you some protection for a while, and it can be added too every so often if needed. You still need to be careful of moisture. You could use the polymerized Danish or Tung oil also but that will darken up the wood fairly considerably.