Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone!

I play on a nylon string guitar. I mainly play music inspired by flamenco, latin jazz like bossa nova and samba or fingerpicking blues or country.

I like to make my own songs and rarely play with other musicians anymore.

I realize now that it has been quite a while since I learned a new chord.

I know I could find a chord chart and start learning random chords, but for some reason this is not inspiring me.

That is why I want to ask you fellow guitar players to share with me your favorite chords!

On off my favorite chords is to hold an A major bar chord (The Emajor shap barred) and then let the two brigthest strings be open (B and E). It has a sweet, fairytale-like sensation to it.

Does anybody know what this chord is called? I don't know a lot of music theory.
That is a beautiful chord, thank you =)

Chords alone does not express as much as they could, but I still think some chords sounds better than others and some are better suited for certain progressions than others.

Over time I have come to have a selection of favorite chords like this.

I wish I was able to figure out what their names were so I could share them with you, but I don't have the knowledge to do that. I feel like these chords has something magic to them, they resonate better than others in the guitar or something like that =)
EASILY minor 9th. They sound so emotional. Way more "tragic" than normal minor chords.

Also I really like minor chords with an added natural sixth. And of course dominant seventh with altered notes. Especially in a minor key.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by Elintasokas
EASILY minor 9th. They sound so emotional. Way more "tragic" than normal minor chords.

Yeah, going back and forth between an Emin9 and a Cmaj7 sounds really nice.
I really like this C lydian kind of chord... no idea what its called, it is something like this

e--0
b--2
g--0
d--4
a--3

and then the open C major chord shape played on the D note

e--0
b--3
g--0
d--4
a--5

again no idea what its called

these two go nicely with the open E min add9

e--0
b--0
g--0
d--4
a--2
e--0
Quote by Elintasokas

Also I really like minor chords with an added natural sixth. And of course dominant seventh with altered notes. Especially in a minor key.

I agree on the Minor 9th.

One of my favorites. I also like little Poly-chords, like 3x0232 D/G, or inverted Dominant 7ths like 3x222x

Or little 5x543x 11ths

Favorite Altered Dominant chords of mine are X7#5's - Love that hanging Augmented vibe!

Best,

Sean
Quote by tappooh
I really like this C lydian kind of chord... no idea what its called, it is something like this

e--0
b--2
g--0
d--4
a--3

and then the open C major chord shape played on the D note

e--0
b--3
g--0
d--4
a--5

again no idea what its called

these two go nicely with the open E min add9

e--0
b--0
g--0
d--4
a--2
e--0

The first chord just sounds wrong. Are you sure the note on the B string isn't the 3rd fret? If it is, John Sykes uses that chord and the D chord a lot on the 1987 Whitesnake album and also Em9 chord though voiced a bit differently.

I don't know if it's sensible to name that kind of chords. They would be Cadd9#11 and D6add11. But I would just call them C major and D major. I mean, if a song used those voicings, the chord symbol over them would most likely just be C and D.

Quote by TV-Casualty
Oh, this one is really cool too:

x10011

It's like a Bb13 something or other, I'm not sure, but it's really pretty sounding.

That's Bb6/9.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I quite like minor 6th chords or even note clusters that imply minor6. For example:

d---
A---
F---
C-5-
G-4-
D-0-

That's technically what I'd call a note cluster, but I frequently notate it as "Dm6". Note: I tune my guitars to D standard.

d-0-
A-4-
F-0-
C-2-
G-2-
D-0-

This is a Dm6 chord (1, b3, 5, 6). Has a very interesting, almost haunting sound to it.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 29, 2014,
SUS2's and Add9's....I use them a lot. Clean they sound very pretty and can lean either way in major or minor territory depending on how they are used, and dirty they are very powerful and sound like a giant mean machine to me. They are a permanent fixture in my solo work.

I'm not going to bother tabbing them out, I use them in Drop D, double drop C (CGDGBE), and standard - plus some other crazy tunings I make up myself.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The first chord just sounds wrong. Are you sure the note on the B string isn't the 3rd fret? If it is, John Sykes uses that chord and the D chord a lot on the 1987 Whitesnake album and also Em9 chord though voiced a bit differently.

I don't know if it's sensible to name that kind of chords. They would be Cadd9#11 and D6add11. But I would just call them C major and D major. I mean, if a song used those voicings, the chord symbol over them would most likely just be C and D.

That's Bb6/9.

Actually what I meant to write is

e--2
b--3
g--0
d--4
a--3

Another one I really like is this B minor chord

e--0
b--3
g--0
d--4
a--2

And this C# minor

e--0
b--4
g--4
d--2
a--4
I actually really like the sound of a chord with a fourth, a fifth and a minor seventh, so it's like a 7sus4 chord. For example in E, it would be E, B, D and A.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I quite like minor 6th chords or even note clusters that imply minor6. For example:

d---
A---
F---
C-5-
G-4-
D-0-

That's technically what I'd call a note cluster, but I frequently notate it as "Dm6". Note: I tune my guitars to D standard.

d-0-
A-4-
F-0-
C-2-
G-2-
D-0-

This is a Dm6 chord (1, b3, 5, 6). Has a very interesting, almost haunting sound to it.

That's actually Dmmaj7. Dm6 would be 0 2 2 0 2 0.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by NewDayHappy
Oooh good thread! I like Em the best!

Em is one of the most useful chords in my opinion, the shape in standard tuning leaves a lot of room for chord melodies and to be honest, it's just so basic that I cram it up in a lot of my progressions
Quote by MaggaraMarine
That's actually Dmmaj7. Dm6 would be 0 2 2 0 2 0.

Oops, my bad. I tabbed it wrong.

But yeah, Dm6.
Quote by NorthernStrokes
Hello everyone!

I play on a nylon string guitar. I mainly play music inspired by flamenco, latin jazz like bossa nova and samba or fingerpicking blues or country.

I like to make my own songs and rarely play with other musicians anymore.

I realize now that it has been quite a while since I learned a new chord.

I know I could find a chord chart and start learning random chords, but for some reason this is not inspiring me.

That is why I want to ask you fellow guitar players to share with me your favorite chords!

On off my favorite chords is to hold an A major bar chord (The Emajor shap barred) and then let the two brigthest strings be open (B and E). It has a sweet, fairytale-like sensation to it.

Does anybody know what this chord is called? I don't know a lot of music theory.

Ya, I wrote a song in E that uses that chord a lot.

One that I like as well, is a dom7 shape, the triangle part of it, rooted on E on the A string, and then with a C# on the high E with an open Low E.

Idk what it's called, but I like it as a V.

EDIT: 0767xx9
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jul 31, 2014,
Quote by Elintasokas

Ya me too. i mean, a chord is the chord you want at the time, but that chord is often enough minor 9 for me. I use m7s a lot as well. Much more than regular minor chords.
I don't know if I have specific favorites, but my favorite types are minor 9ths, dominant 7ths, and minor 7 flat 5ths.
Quote by tappooh
Actually what I meant to write is

e--2
b--3
g--0
d--4
a--3

Another one I really like is this B minor chord

e--0
b--3
g--0
d--4
a--2

And this C# minor

e--0
b--4
g--4
d--2
a--4

Cadd9#11, Bmadd11b13, C#m9

These are some of my fav chords:

e--3
b--1
g--0
d--2
a--3

Plain old C major, but it's just something magical about that voicing.

e--0
b--0
g--5
d--7
a--0

Pretty dark Amadd9 voicing.

e--6
b--7
g--6
d--9
a--6

Ebm9addb13

e--3
b--5
g--2
d--2
a--4

A7. I absolutely despise the standard voicings for Dom7 chords that are usually taught to beginner guitarists. They are so ****ing ugly. Especially the open A chord voicing where you just move your finger from playing the 2nd fret G-string, to playing the string open. Such a disgusting sounding chord.
Yeah in open position I almost always voice the A7 by playing the G (b7th) on top. (third fret high e string). I don't like the A7 -02020 very much, though sometimes it's the right chord to play. I also don't like the E7 020100 that much either, and usually play it 022130. Though again sometimes it is the 020100 is the right chord to play.

The other standard dom7 chords in open position sound okay.
The G7 with the F on the high e string, 320001,
the D7 --0212

I particularly like the C7 -32310. It's often used as a substitution on a tonic C major chord that is moving to a IV. The tension it produces is awesome. A few songs off the top of my head that exploit this move...Better Be Home Soon - Crowded House, and Nobody Home -Pink Floyd, Don't Think Twice It's Alright - Bob Dylan. I'm sure there's a million more.

I agree in regard to the A7 you mentioned. But not all those standard dom7 chords are so bad.
Si
Love the ones from Walk On. Both of them make me feel good.
D-A-G-Em
Em-G-D-A
Last edited by richardsnelson at Aug 25, 2014,
Quote by Thrasherx00

e--3
b--5
g--2
d--2
a--4

What is this chord called? Its not an A7 is it? Doesnt sound like one to me, there is no G. Maybe Amaj7/C#?

By the way thanks for naming mine!

edit: oh nevermind, I fingered it with a G# instead of the G, my bad...
Last edited by tappooh at Aug 12, 2014,
I find most of the open chords aren't all that nice. I like that A dom7 shape as a barre chord, but I find open chords ring out too much and are too muddy. That said, one nice low open string, or something like that, can make a chord nice and lush.

To be honest, a lot of what goes into what voicings I use personally, is what comes right before or after. How they move together. For instance, I might go into a dom7 like this:

x57585 -> x57575 or, off the same root i might use x545x5 -> x545x3 -> x5455x -> x5454x

So, I in a sense choose chords based on their quality, but it's not so much their own quality of themselves, but the movement of notes in the passage itself.

I do that with piano as well. Somehow, the fewer fingers you move, the nicer it is. Chords that follow in a progression often share tones. I find that it's nice when you keep those consistent. It's also cool sometimes to go somewhere else, but idk, I find the logical continuity of a passage matters more than the chord itself. So, I will even play that open A7, if that makes sense at the time, but I generally stay away from the nut area anyway, for that reason, and I also hate being forced into dealing with open strings for playability purposes also.
Quote by 20Tigers
Em11 (voiced low to high R 11 7 b3 5 R)

Wow. I bet that's hard to play.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Unless I am mistaken:

Emi11 is how the guitar is in "standard tuning" E A D G B E all open or all 12th fret
Quote by wolflen
Emi11 is how the guitar is in "standard tuning" E A D G B E all open or all 12th fret

I find that it is way too muddy to play an 11 that way though. the high extensions, imo, should be played up high. preferably top 2 strings, maybe the g string could be ok.
Especially open.

I'm that way with all extensions, 9s 11s and 13s. except 7s are ok lower down on the D string, but the bottom two strings, to me, are the bass strings. Mostly just roots and 5ths, or however else you have your bassline going, like slash chords or what have you.

But other than that, I find grips with the extensions down low like that are too muddy. It's too much going on all together all bunched up.

dissonance of two half tones next to each can sound real nice, but not so low down. It's the same on piano for me too. The more left I go, the more simple things get.

It's like that in production also. You have to roll off everything in the bass region, and just let a couple things occupy that space, because the low end of the frequency spectrum is tight on real estate, so things interfere. But space increases exponentially as you go up the spectrum.
Quote by fingrpikingood
Sorry, I thought all music was subjective.

Like jokes, it seems.
This is a nice V chord in a minor key I learnt from transcribing Moonlight Sonata:

e -x
B -3
G -4
D -2
A -2
E -4

I've grown fond of 13 chords

e -9
B -9
G -7
D -x
A -7