Hey guys,
So I have been wondering something. If I were to tab a melody I heard, create my own or similar, how would I be able to write something for the Rythmn guitar to play?

Well, I have observed in many songs, that usually one of the notes that are played, will be played in a lower tone, perhaps, a chord. I have however also seen in songs that I like to play, where this isnt the case.

For example, A#is being played over a melody without any A# involved.

In fact, the melody has only C, #E, #B involved as far as I remember. How can that play over that, and still sound cool?

Call me a turd, but I have tried to Google it, but due to lack of knowing what to actually Google for a tutorial or lesson, I have not gotten anywhere. At the moment, I experiment to what sounds good, but surely, there must be some theory behind this.

What is the term I am looking for called?
Last edited by ikouroshi at Jul 28, 2014,
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding. For one, are you asking how to create a rhythm part for an already established lead part? For that, you'd have to learn your music theory. In what key is the song, and what chords would fit.

As for your example, I think you're trying to tell us that one the lead part is playing a note that isn't a chord tone. Yes, this is possible. As a general rule, any note in the same key as the chords and doesn't clash with the chord tones can be played.

The melody has a C, E# and a B#? I'd imagine that you're just writing it in a way that fits the key so as to avoid writing accidentals, but since two of those chords are enharmonic equivalents of one another, you've left me confused.
it will help to figure out what key it is in. Does it resolve to a certain note? By resolve I mean does it sound like a certain note is the "home" of the melody?

If u figure out what key it is in then u can list out all the chords for that key and you can try various chords underneath the melody.

Lets say u figure out it is in the key of A major. So list out the basic chords in a major and try them out under your melody.

A major, B minor, C# minor, D major, E major, F# minor, G#minor flat5

you can probably play almost any of the chords in the key under your melody and different chords will give a very different sound to the melody.

If you have a buddy who is more experienced or a keyboard player, play the melody for them and try to find what key it is in