Short and sweet, I really like Roland's GK system. Want to get one for my guitar eventually. However $800 is a steep price. Is there any way I could spend just the $220, just buy the pickup, and use that without the GR-55, or is one without the other essentially useless? Mostly for studio use, any sort of live use would have a dedicated keyboard/synth player.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
You don't need the Roland pickup (though it works just fine) -- you could accomplish the same thing with a set of piezos in the bridge and a 13-pin output at the guitar. Either setup works for synth (see the Carvin SH-575 for a guitar-based control system for synth). Check out the iGuitar as well. http://iguitarworkshop.com/i1000SeriesiGuitar.USB.aspx

And yes, you can buy the Roland and use it directly with any 13-pin compatible synth (or adapter).

From there, you can run to a rack synth controller and from there out to any synth you want to use -- the GK pickup doesn't require that you use a GK system.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by Clay-man

Whoa, very cool. [Edit: $399 at Sweetwater]

Concept looks good, though I'd definitely want to spend some time with it before recommending it to anyone. These things sometimes have glitches that can bite you in the hindquarters if you haven't done your due diligence.

I'm dying to have Line 6 put out a wireless Variax connection (it would be similar to the Fishman, but would need at least twice the channels). Range on the Fishman is limited (it says 100', but I'd stay well under 50'). I wouldn't be surprised if it's Bluetooth 4 or similar.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Whoa, very cool. [Edit: $399 at Sweetwater]

Concept looks good, though I'd definitely want to spend some time with it before recommending it to anyone. These things sometimes have glitches that can bite you in the hindquarters if you haven't done your due diligence.

I've been using the FTP in a live setting for the past several months and it has worked flawlessly. I'm running the FTP software on a Lenovo Yoga 11s Ultrabook and triggering VSTs from SonicSynth2, Komplete, and Sampletank, using a cheap Behringer UCA-202 to split the output into a DI (to the sound board) and a line in on my amp (for monitoring). Tracking is superb and I have almost ZERO latency. My only real gripe is that I've already worn the numbers off of the volume knob.