I record my ESP EC-10 guitar through a focusrite scarlett interface. Currently, I am using quite a thick gauge (0.12s or 0.13s i think).

I use guitar rig for amp modelling, and when I play quickly on the higher strings (G B and E) with a distorted high gain beefy tone I get a lot of pick attack noise. It's really sharp, high, and annoying as hell. It's also really obvious. How can I eliminate this?

I have thought of using a notch filter but then I did a little research and found out that the picking noise is spread throughout the frequency band. So, I can't just cut it out without affecting the tone Would compression do the trick? I use a medium thickness pick and thick strings - how much do these two affect the tone? I'm thinking of getting even thicker strings but I don't want to run into this problem again. Should I get heavy bottom and light top strings?

Here is the sound I am talking about: (careful may be loud) http://vocaroo.com/i/s02f0Bakv2OE

Any tips or tricks on how to remove this? What factors affect this and how much?

Thanks for all advice, wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the recording forum
I don't think it's way too loud. Actually it's pretty natural sounding to my ears. But that could be my opinion.

I would try to put some reverb over it, so the picks blend over. Maybe a little less Presence on the amp.
Quote by av0n
I don't think it's way too loud. Actually it's pretty natural sounding to my ears. But that could be my opinion.

I would try to put some reverb over it, so the picks blend over. Maybe a little less Presence on the amp.

Hmm.

I'm talking strictly about the high 'squeak' as each note is picked, which seems to be quite loud, not the whole recording, in case you didn't understand what i was saying

I'm pretty sure you did though and you're just saying the picking noise sounds quite normal to you? Is that what you mean?
I've not really heard that kind of picking noise in songs though
Quote by DaLelo
Hmm.

I'm pretty sure you did though and you're just saying the picking noise sounds quite normal to you? Is that what you mean?
I've not really heard that kind of picking noise in songs though

It sounds quite normal to me. Use some more gain maybe?

You have to remember, music you listen to is mastered and whatnot, not just recorded raw like this.

Also, some of Paul Gilberts stuff is exactly like that.
I can hear what you mean. Id call it a squeak. It used to annoy me on a guitar i had. It was either the pickups... how i was picking..or my amp...but ive got a new guitar. A new amp... and my picking has probably developed....

Also, it sounds grand.
Sounds fine to me but why are you using such heavy strings? It's your guitar so do whatever you want but 12's or 13's are seriously thick for electric, most players won't go over 11, the majority stick with 10 but that's your call
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
Sounds fine to me but why are you using such heavy strings? It's your guitar so do whatever you want but 12's or 13's are seriously thick for electric, most players won't go over 11, the majority stick with 10 but that's your call

I guess I like the tone better. Atm I'm just testing out different gauges, there's not a certain thickness which I've decided to stick to as of yet.

I just ordered some skinny top heavy bottom slinks and mid top extra heavy bottom daddarios, I'll see which I like better. Anyway, do you think the thickness attributes to the squeaking noise?