Hi all

Please help

After some thought I purchased 2x Harley Benton PowerPlant Jr form Thomann yesterday which will be shipped to the UK. Thomann do 2 power plants one is bigger with more outs but not isolated and the other is smaller with 5 isolated 120ma outs

I was worried i didn't make the right choice, is it definitely better to go isolated? of should i have brought the bigger one and run daisy chains off those 9v 500mA outputs?

When i spoke to someone, They told me that the Power Plant junior was actually the better Power supply out the 2 despite the larger having 8x 9v 500ma & 1x12v dc and 1x12ac. The larger is not isolated but the smaller is! so i went for isolated because people say its better but I'm not 100% sure how?

1. Can I run 13pedals from this 1 or 2 of these units?

3. Even though it has 5 outputs is it safe to power more than 5 pedals from one power supply?

2. Can I Use 2 Daisy chains in 2 separate outputs from 1 power supply, so for example 5 pedals from output1 3 pedals from output 2?

3. I did briefly speak to someone who informed me that the PowerPlant Junior was actually better than the bigger Power Plant because it was Isolated? will i benefit from isolated more that regulated with the amount of pedals i have (see below)?

4. In your opinion Have i made the right choice? i expect these have been shipped, or should I have brought the bigger Power Plant? Like I say I have ordered them, but i just wanted so written confirmation and information to put my mind at rest and reassure me that if made the right choice.

Here is a list of my pedals and Power consumption.

Boss DD7 - 60mA
Boss CH1 - 15mA
Boss RC2 - 50mA
Boss CS3 - 50mA
Boss TU3 - 85mA
Boss OC3 - 50mA
Boss F5-6 Footswitch - 8ma
VOX Wah - 0.54ma (540uA)
EHX Small Stone Nano - 100mA
TC Hall of Fame reverb - 100mA
Xotic RC Booster - 10mA
Xotic Robotalk2 - 5mA
Maxon OD9 - 7mA

I would really appreciate your expert opinion' I'm new to the whole forum thing this is my 3rd ever post, so be easy on me! lol

Basically, have i made the right choice? is it definitely better to go isolated?

Is it better to run daisy chains for isolated power supplies rather than non isolated ones?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions
Some of those current readings don't seem to be right (they sounded high to me so I went and checked):

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/867
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/856
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1171

IIRC the power plant jr only has 120mA per outlet, so if you are going to daisy chain you have to bear that in mind.

Musicstore/DV247 does what looks to be a copy of the voodoo labs power supply and may have been slightly cheaper in your situation. But other than that I'd probably go for the powerplant junior over the standard powerplant too for the reasons you said (though I haven't tried the standard one). Also I don't much like musicstore, I thought their customer service was terrible (in my opinion), I'll give my business to thomann over them every single time.

anyway, going through your questions (just to give you black and white, straight answers):

"Can I run 13pedals from this 1 or 2 of these units?"

Yeah I think so, as long as you don't mind daisy-chaining some pedals (and you might need some extra cables for that, it comes with one daisy chain cable in the box IIRC) and keep in mind how much current draw all those pedals have, it needs to stay below 120mA.

"Even though it has 5 outputs is it safe to power more than 5 pedals from one power supply?"

Yeah I think so. As I said, it comes with one daisy chain cable in the box so if it wasn't safe I'm guessing they wouldn't do that.

"Can I Use 2 Daisy chains in 2 separate outputs from 1 power supply, so for example 5 pedals from output1 3 pedals from output 2?"

Yep, I don't see why not as long as you stay below the 120mA rating (per outlet). The power supply (presumably) only "sees" how much current is being taken, not how it's being distributed.

"I did briefly speak to someone who informed me that the PowerPlant Junior was actually better than the bigger Power Plant because it was Isolated? will i benefit from isolated more that regulated with the amount of pedals i have (see below)?"

Yeah in theory isolated is better. Not every rig needs isolated, if you're not getting noise you may not need it (but it won't hurt either- you may as well have it if the price is the same... assuming the isolated one isn't made far worse to keep the price down, of course).

if you daisy chain you lose the isolated benefits for all the pedals on that daisy chain, so you need to put pedals on the one daisy chain which "play nice" together.

"In your opinion Have i made the right choice? i expect these have been shipped, or should I have brought the bigger Power Plant? Like I say I have ordered them, but i just wanted so written confirmation and information to put my mind at rest and reassure me that if made the right choice."

Yeah, as I said above, pretty much, assuming you didn't want to buy that other one from MusicStore or DV247.

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm far from an electronics guru. Other regulars here know way more about electronics than I do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 28, 2014,