Page 1 of 3
You hear a lot about US Americans and Canadians (Snow Americans) going to Europe backpacking through Europe, staying in hostels, travelling with public transport etc.

Is that possible at all in the US?

I know you guys have a shitty transport system and you're dispersed as hell. Would it maybe we worth going down the East Coast of West Coast instead? Are motels the US version of hostels? Also, would it not be super expensive?

Also, will I be murdered? Please respond.
There's going to be a massive amount of nothing that you'll see, before you get to anywhere that's actually decent.

I think it would be incredibly dull.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Honestly, it's not worth it unless you do live in the US. Plus, if you're going to roadtrip america, you go through the whole country, not just the coasts. If that's all you'd do, it's just a vacation, not a real roadtrip.
Quote by Wormholes
Honestly, it's not worth it unless you do live in the US. Plus, if you're going to roadtrip america, you go through the whole country, not just the coasts. If that's all you'd do, it's just a vacation, not a real roadtrip.

only the west coast matters lets be real
banned
Backpacking? No.

The up and down a coast thing would be good though. But yeah, you might need a car
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
The only real question is, will you be raped before you get murdered, during your murder, after your murder, or all 3?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
You and your mom taking in the beauty of America? Sounds worth it to me.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
My mate keeps at me to go on a East to West trip with him. Starting in Buffalo and ending up in either Nevada or Oregon somewhere. Not a fan of Cali and its shitty bay.
I also want to do a North South(ish) hike on the appalachian trail from Maine to Georgia, which takes 6-7 months.
I think if you plan your route, and start/end points it could be fantastic. Don't just straight line it through the middle of nothingness.
Quote by K'Nuckles
You aren't even properly American.

yeah but ive been around most of the country

only the west coast matters trust me
banned
No, as an American, I would say it isn't worth it.
1) The country is huge.
2) Motels are NOT hostels. They cost $50 minimum per night.
3) It's going to be VERY expensive (like 1000s of dollars, huge). Don't bother.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by SkepsisMetal
My mate keeps at me to go on a East to West trip with him. Starting in Buffalo and ending up in either Nevada or Oregon somewhere. Not a fan of Cali and its shitty bay.
I also want to do a North South(ish) hike on the appalachian trail from Maine to Georgia, which takes 6-7 months.
I think if you plan your route, and start/end points it could be fantastic. Don't just straight line it through the middle of nothingness.

Out of all the cities on the east coast you pick Buffalo? smh

OT: West Coast or East Coast would probably be good. With the east you can start north and go through Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and DC. There is a bit of a stretch with not much, but the Carolina's and Georgia do have some beautiful stuff. Plus then you can end in Florida. And you could always go further in away from the coast and there is stuff like Nashville and New Orleans

And yea, you need a car. You're not going to see very much without one.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 28, 2014,
It could probably be fun.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
It will be very expensive and you won't get much help from strangers along the way. You will need to pay for gas (which varies in price through the country) , lodging every night, food, activities, and have some emergency money in case your car breaks down or something. If you can afford to travel comfortably with no real concerns, there are areas that are absolutely beautiful to travel through.

Also motels are shitholes and usually have bugs in them. I'd rather sleep in my car than in some of those places. You can find hostels in some major cities.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface

#goodpost
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, as an American, I would say it isn't worth it.
1) The country is huge.
2) Motels are NOT hostels. They cost $50 minimum per night.
3) It's going to be VERY expensive (like 1000s of dollars, huge). Don't bother.

But if he takes his hot mom, she can work for their keep, nawmsayin?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by WCPhils
Out of all the cities on the east coast you pick Buffalo? smh

It's a cool city, architecturally. But it was mostly planned because it's right on the border crossing to pick a third party up from Canada if they cross the bridge at Niagara.
Boston would be a better place to start from otherwise I think.
I'm Canadian and I'm planning taking a month off to travel around the Southern US for a month or so next year. I think it's definitely worth it.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by slapsymcdougal
But if he takes his hot mom, she can work for their keep, nawmsayin?

Won't work. He's already banging her.
Quote by TheChaz
Won't work. He's already banging her.

TS it's settled. You can roadtrip through the south/midwest and you'll be good.
Road trips in Europe are tons better than in America. Rather spend days going around different countries than going in one.
Yank here. I'm driving from San Antonio to Tucson right now and **** this lol. Road trips are not worth it unless you stick with the coasts, and don't do one that's too long. Personally I'd just pick a city or two (depending on time and money) and just visit those. Especially if you do decide to stray from the coastal sates. There are interesting places in 'the middle' but it's not good for a road trip.

The public transportation isn't great but many of the urban areas have better public transportation than you'd expect, and especially on the coasts (again lol) you might find some inter-city transport comparable to what dumb Yanks use when they 'backpack through Europe'.

A motel is not the same as a hotel. A motel is specifically a cheaper, smaller hotel.
Quote by deadsmileyface

You're not even contiguous so you have no say on coastal matters.

OT: There are a lot of varying geographies and climates and such in the US, so you can see quite a lot if you plan your trip correctly.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I think personally the South and Midwest are the most worth it to trip through. The Northeast and West are the big "THIS IS AMERICAN CULTURE" that everyone will always be exposed to, so it would be more nice to drive through the middle of the country and see all the other cool shit.

I mean, you should of course go through Boston or New York or Philly if you can, but I wouldn't base an entire trip out of going to the Northeast. Also I already live there.
Quote by Philip_pepper
So only the southern US is worth it?

Does that include New Orleans all the way to Texas?

It really depends on what kind of America you want to see. The cultures range so widely. And yes, it will be expensive.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
American doesn't seem that dispersed to me, at last not like Canada is. There's literally **** all from ontario to alberta. Like Canada though the states is clustered and the middle of country is hick prarieville, and if you want to see both coasts you'd have to find a way to travel through it.

If you're set on seeing the entire country there's different approaches you could take. You'd definitely want to see the east coast, and then you could either go straight west and see Chicago, St. Louis and keep going southwest til you hit the west coast. But there's not much along the way after that just Denver. you can go to Vegas, but I don't know if that fits your backpacking type of journey.

Or you could start of the same way on the east coast, but instead of going straight west, go south a bit and check out Nashville, Atlanta, then go along the southern border (ish)and see New Orleans, Texas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonion), and make your way to the coast from there.

Or you could just fly to either of the coast and limit your trip to that. Some cities are just way out of the way that they would be really expensive and time consuming to get to. Like Seattle. Unless you wanted to go to LA then move up through Cali and see San Jose and San Antonio and then keep heading north through Portland to Seattle. I guess once you're there you could check out Vancouver on the Canadian side.

Looks like you gotta a lot of research ahead of you, but if you want that backpacking type of trip I don't think its possible. But the closest thing would be to like a side pick a coast, and travel to a cluster of nearby cities.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Dirge Humani
I think personally the South and Midwest are the most worth it to trip through. The Northeast and West are the big "THIS IS AMERICAN CULTURE" that everyone will always be exposed to, so it would be more nice to drive through the middle of the country and see all the other cool shit.

I mean, you should of course go through Boston or New York or Philly if you can, but I wouldn't base an entire trip out of going to the Northeast. Also I already live there.

The midwest has the chillest, illest homies in the country, fo real.

We got mad love aight?
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
The midwest has the chillest, illest homies around, fo real.

We got mad love aight?

This is true. Midwest is super cool.
Quote by BladeSlinger
It really depends on what kind of America you want to see. The cultures range so widely. And yes, it will be expensive.

So, if you had to show a European the most "American" city out there, which would it be?

...would it be Las Vegas? :O
Quote by Philip_pepper
So, if you had to show a European the most "American" city out there, which would it be?

...would it be Las Vegas? :O

There is no most "American" city because America is so big that it is pretty diverse across it's different regions.

Although I guess if someone asked me that I would probably say New York City.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by Baby Joel
This is true. Midwest is super cool.

biggest lie ive ever heard in my entire life
banned
Yank here. I'm driving from San Antonio to Tucson right now and **** this lol. Road trips are not worth it unless you stick with the coasts, and don't do one that's too long. Personally I'd just pick a city or two (depending on time and money) and just visit those. Especially if you do decide to stray from the coastal sates. There are interesting places in 'the middle' but it's not good for a road trip.

The public transportation isn't great but many of the urban areas have better public transportation than you'd expect, and especially on the coasts (again lol) you might find some inter-city transport comparable to what dumb Yanks use when they 'backpack through Europe'.

A motel is not the same as a hotel. A motel is specifically a cheaper, smaller hotel.
Quote by deadsmileyface
biggest lie ive ever heard in my entire life

it's funny because you suck
Page 1 of 3