Hello,
I'd like to ask a question:
I want to buy an Ibanez tube screamer ts9 and put it between the guitar and the amp. Since I'll use this pedal only on the OD1 and OD2 channels of my amp (Marshall JVM 410h), I need to turn it off when switching to clean of crunch. My problem is: most of the time there is not enough time in a song between clean and distorted sound that will allow me to change to the clean channel and switch of the tube screamer and it will also sound bad. Is there any way that I can change channel and turn the tube screamer on/off in one click?
I was thinking of MIDI as a solution but I don't know much about it (but my amp has it).
Thanks
Quote by Jayerrr
Hello,
I'd like to ask a question:
I want to buy an Ibanez tube screamer ts9 and put it between the guitar and the amp. Since I'll use this pedal only on the OD1 and OD2 channels of my amp (Marshall JVM 410h), I need to turn it off when switching to clean of crunch. My problem is: most of the time there is not enough time in a song between clean and distorted sound that will allow me to change to the clean channel and switch of the tube screamer and it will also sound bad. Is there any way that I can change channel and turn the tube screamer on/off in one click?
I was thinking of MIDI as a solution but I don't know much about it (but my amp has it).
Thanks

depends on how much money you want to throw at the problem.

there are solutions like TC's G-System that has loops for pedals and controller outputs to change your amp's channel. you could program patches in this system that will simultaneously switch you amps channel while 'activating' the pedal into your signal.

there are simpler solutions that don't have as much flexibility.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
You can get a small looper. I have a bigger one with 9 loops, so I can hook 8 pedals, and my amp to it and create patches of whatever effect/channel combo you want, then assign it to a single button.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
A looper? I'm sorry but isn't a looper a pedal that allows me to record and play back in a loop what I just played?
Quote by Jayerrr
A looper? I'm sorry but isn't a looper a pedal that allows me to record and play back in a loop what I just played?

Yes. But there is something else called a looper that has each pedal on all the time in different "loops". Then you use a controller to pick which loops you want to pull from.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
And why would that help me? I need to change just one pedal and a channel, not many different pedals.
Because you can use a small looper (like 2 or 3 loops) to control the TS and the footswitch for your amp. So you hit one button and both are engaged.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Because you can use a small looper (like 2 or 3 loops) to control the TS and the footswitch for your amp. So you hit one button and both are engaged.

Exactly! I have the Moen GEC9. They make some smaller ones now, and I think Glabs make some as well.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by darkwolf291
Don't ask for help if you won't accept the answers.

Put them next to each other and hit both at once, or get a looper.
Problem solved

I just had never heard of this method, it's not that I'm not accepting suggenstions. As long as they are serious, I'm open to everything
The JVM has programmable buttons on the remote footswitch. And it has it's own effects loop. Which So you could put the screamer in the effects loop and program the loop on/off so it's the button next to your channel button.

Download the manual for the amp if you don't have one. It should take about 5-10 button presses to set up, if that.
Quote by Black'n'Tan
The JVM has programmable buttons on the remote footswitch. And it has it's own effects loop. Which So you could put the screamer in the effects loop and program the loop on/off so it's the button next to your channel button.

Download the manual for the amp if you don't have one. It should take about 5-10 button presses to set up, if that.

how is putting the tubescreamer in the effects loop a good idea? sure, TS's switching problem will be solved, but it will be replaced by a severe tone problem. not to mention it completely undermines the concept of running a tubescreamer into a dirty channel.
1 (optional). Get a pedalboard. (to raise pedals off the ground so any cabling can run underneath)
2. Put the footswitch "channel switch" button right next to your OD pedal.
3. Stomp on both at the same time.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jul 29, 2014,
I'm new to loopers/MIDI switchers too, so sorry if this is a stupid question...

If you're using a wah/volume pedal, how would you go about using it? I'm guessing the other stompbox pedals would be out of the way on a trolley/rack, but obviously you wouldn't be able to control a wah without having it in front of you?
Quote by TheLoudOne24
I'm new to loopers/MIDI switchers too, so sorry if this is a stupid question...

If you're using a wah/volume pedal, how would you go about using it? I'm guessing the other stompbox pedals would be out of the way on a trolley/rack, but obviously you wouldn't be able to control a wah without having it in front of you?

run the wah separate to your board (in front, obviously) and have it next to your midi/looper switcher.
Quote by PsiGuy60
1 (optional). Get a pedalboard. (to raise pedals off the ground so any cabling can run underneath)
2. Put the footswitch "channel switch" button right next to your OD pedal.
3. Stomp on both at the same time.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Lol damn underpants gnomes.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The problem with the pedal board idea is that the jvm huas a 6 button foot switch. So putting the screamer next to a single switch is a problem.

TS I have had the same problem for years. It's just comes with the territory. You could k ok in the the Joyo PXL Live. It has midi switching and 2 sets of 4 loops for pedals. Look for a YouTube video on it. I plan to get one as soon as I have some cash. They are about €160. Which is about €300 less than every thing else.

It will eliminate the need for the JVM footswich and allow you to control all the channels and pedals you want.

The only two other options you have are create a clean/crunch tone that you like with the Screamer on or put it in line above your clean/crunch switch and do a heel/toe thing to change.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Jul 29, 2014,
Yes! the Joyo PXL live would do it! Thanks for the great suggestion! In that case, would you use the MIDI or the 1/4" jacks to control the channels on the amp?
from what i have seen, the Live dosent pop that much but i am only taking this from you tube videos :P
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
yeah all the pxls sound fine on youtube. maybe my unit was defective or something, but i looked it up and apparently other people had issues with it too.

and with the issue of popping 'too much', if i hear a pop of any volume, that's already too much for me but seriously, the pxl8 was deafening pop.
Depends on how many pedals you have that need to be switched on / off.

Carl Martin Octa-Switch or Rocktron Patchmate. The Joyo clone is the cheaper alternative.

Or just say f*ck it, go full rack and get yourself the Voodoo Lab GCX and GC-Pro
the disaster area stuff is also extremely versatile, well-made, and very fairly priced. i have the dpc-5, and while i don't use it anymore as i sold off about half my board, it was the best looper i ever used. midi-compatible too. and has a trs output that you can use as an amp footswitch for any amp that takes a stereo 1/4" jack for the footswitch.