Quick question:

I'm playing with my new Fender Blues Junior, and I love it to bits but to get a really dirty sound at bedroom levels I need my Tube Screamer. Trouble is, I can't get the overdrive to properly kick in (drive turned all the way up) unless I turn the master volume on the amp up past 3. With the Screamer on I dislike bedroom practice on anything above 2 because of the small size of my room and I have neighbours.

Do you think an attenuator would resolve this? If I reduced the output of the amp and raised the master volume would it 'kick in' at bedroom level?
I think you just need to keep tweaking til you find where it works the best. When I play quietly, I tend to keep the amp loud and bring the volume down with the pedal with either lots of gain and a lower level for crunch or higher level and lower gain for clean. Adjust your gain and master only to control woofing or muddiness.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
My FBJ (see my sig for pedals) sounds fine at Master 2 and Volume 2.

Keep tweaking...
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Tubescreamers are more for boosting an amp's natural drive. If you want something you can get good drive sounds out of without cranking your amp, you should possibly consider getting another pedal for that purpose.

Obviously overdrive can mean anything from a slight crunch to full on distortion, what sort of sound are you going for and what is your budget for a new pedal?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for replies,

Lucky1978, my amp doesn't have a gain control, just volume and master. Even with the 'drive' knob on full on the Screamer, it doesn't sound really driven (Think of a Led Zeppelin solo) until I turn the master volume on the amp to an uncomfortable level. Once it gets past 3 the pedal seems to activate.

I will do much further tweaking. I have a sneaking suspicion that the pedal may have a fault with it as I took it apart a while back to fit a new switch in it and my electronics skills are not the greatest.

EMarkM, do you recommend the Boss OD-3? How heavy can you get your sound with it at that volume?

Gary, I'm looking to achieve 70s rock levels of distortion, ie Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy. Not all the music I play is at that level, hence why I went for an amp with a great clean, crunch tone, but i'd like to have the option of being able to achieve it at the press of a switch for solos etc. My budget is prob about £150. I have my eye on a Weber Mini Mass attenuator which is 90 dollars, but if there is a decent overdrive pedal that can get me the sound I want more effectively then I'd go for that.

I tried an MXR distortion pedal for a while but I couldn't get on with it. I found the sound too fizzy and artificial.
"Keep tweaking".

Best advice ever. Turned volume down and master volume up. Tube amps don't 'like' having their master volume too low then?
The OD-3 is pretty versatile.

When younger, I used to play metal music pretty much exclusively, and went through a few distortion pedals for that purpose.

These days I don't play metal at all, really, and the setup you can see I have really suits me for blues, rock, folk and so-on.

The heaviest I play is the odd Maiden tune I can still knock out, plus AC/DC.

The OD-3, pushing the FBJ, is just fine for that
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Quote by marshall55
"Keep tweaking".

Best advice ever. Turned volume down and master volume up. Tube amps don't 'like' having their master volume too low then?

On the FBJ, the "Volume" knob is essentially what you'd find labelled "Gain" elsewhere.

The "Master" is the output volume control.

For a low-volume, overdriven sound without pedals, you'd crank the Volume up and the Master down.

With them both low, you get amazing cleans and then your separate OD pedal handles the rest.
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Last edited by EMarkM at Jul 30, 2014,
Quote by marshall55
Gary, I'm looking to achieve 70s rock levels of distortion, ie Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy. Not all the music I play is at that level, hence why I went for an amp with a great clean, crunch tone, but i'd like to have the option of being able to achieve it at the press of a switch for solos etc. My budget is prob about £150. I have my eye on a Weber Mini Mass attenuator which is 90 dollars, but if there is a decent overdrive pedal that can get me the sound I want more effectively then I'd go for that.

I tried an MXR distortion pedal for a while but I couldn't get on with it. I found the sound too fizzy and artificial.

Which MXR pedal did you try? They do several.

Personally I use the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion, and it's great for that classic rock sound you're looking for. Obviously it will sound different through your amp than mine, but I'd always recommend it & even new it's only half your budget. Used they can be had for around £40.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for your advice guys.

Which MXR pedal did you try? They do several.

Personally I use the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion, and it's great for that classic rock sound you're looking for. Obviously it will sound different through your amp than mine, but I'd always recommend it & even new it's only half your budget. Used they can be had for around £40.

I used the MXR Distorition+. To my mind it just made my old Vox AC15 sound fizzy and less 'tube-like' than the Tube Screamer. I wonder whether my amp tweaking skills were just a bit unrefined? I might try out a Custom Badass. It's only 40 quid.

The OD-3 is pretty versatile.

When younger, I used to play metal music pretty much exclusively, and went through a few distortion pedals for that purpose.

These days I don't play metal at all, really, and the setup you can see I have really suits me for blues, rock, folk and so-on.

The heaviest I play is the odd Maiden tune I can still knock out, plus AC/DC.

The OD-3, pushing the FBJ, is just fine for that

Might try one of these out too.