Hi all, it is time for me to invest in a tube amp, and I have nice a coupon coming from guitar center so the timing is right.

Looking for an amp that does cleans well but also can be driven pretty hard. I enjoy playing a wide variety of music from classic metal like Maiden, Metallica, Slayer to some of the new metal like Trivium A7X and FFDP. But then I also like turning on the clean channel and boosting it with my TS-9 to get just a little crack for playing some blusey stuff. So, I guess I'm looking for an all purpose amp.

Clean/dirty footswitch jack is a must. I have a pedal that will work I think.
Effects loop would be nice but not mandatory.

The amp is mostly for my basement playing alone, but it needs to be loud enough to be heard over a loud drummer too.

Budget is $5-600.

Guitars are a Blacktop Strat and a Schecter Hellraiser. Besides a tuner, the only other pedal I currently own that I would use is a TS-9.

In looking through some of the available amps, I think the Valveking II 50 amp combo fits my needs the best. Anyone have other suggestions??
The VK has reeeally nice cleans, but the distortion is a bit meh.
On the other hand the 6505 has great distortion, but it'll do blues pretty meh.
Also it doesn't sound much good clean.

JSX/XXX maybe?

I'd also say a jet city 50w combo but I'm not sure it'd do the modern stuff that well.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^+ 1
JSX/XXX would work great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm assuming since you mentioned a coupon, it has to be a new amp from GC?

I think the Peavey 6505+ 112 is the best you're going to do to meet all of your needs.

I don't have an issue with their cleans. They're not Deluxe Reverb cleans, but I have never had an issue making them work. Not sure what other people's issue is with them, especially with the separate EQ.

If you can spare another $80, get a Warehouse Veteran 30 or HM75 speaker to put in, and it will get a lot better all around.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Okay question: when people say that the clean channel on the 6505 isn't that great what do they mean? It starts breaking up when turned up loud? That wouldn't really be a bad thing for me since I don't really ever play the clean channel without at least a little boost and gain from the TS-9.

Or do you guys mean it just sounds bad in general?
Nah, it's not about distortion, it's about sound quality: it is regarded as pretty average sounding.
Who cares if you're mostly gonna play distorted stuff, who cares if you're gonna fill it with funny effects anyway, but if you're gonna use the cleans and you care for them to sound good, I'd say look at something else.

Or get that + a blackheart BH5/epi valve junior
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
The VK has reeeally nice cleans, but the distortion is a bit meh.
On the other hand the 6505 has great distortion, but it'll do blues pretty meh.
Also it doesn't sound much good clean.

JSX/XXX maybe?

I'd also say a jet city 50w combo but I'm not sure it'd do the modern stuff that well.

Boy, you were right about the VK. I was at GC earlier today and they had one on display so I tried it out. The gain on 10 and the boost on just sounded weak to say the least.

They didn't have a 6505 on display to test or I would have. I do'nt do much with cleans, but I do like it on occasion.

JSX seems a bit out of my price range. Even used.

Any others to try for the next trip out?
Jet City JCA50
Marshall TSL
Peavey XXX

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by diabolical
Whatever they call the Peavey JSX now, I think the 3120. 6505 112 combo would be fine too, you can even lower the gain on the clean channel with a different tube 12au7 for example.

The JSX=XXX II and the XXX=3120
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Jeffh40
Okay question: when people say that the clean channel on the 6505 isn't that great what do they mean? It starts breaking up when turned up loud? That wouldn't really be a bad thing for me since I don't really ever play the clean channel without at least a little boost and gain from the TS-9.

Or do you guys mean it just sounds bad in general?

It isn't that it breaks up, it's how it breaks up if you pick too hard. It just has kind of a sterile, non-warm sound to it. However, if you pick softly decent cleans can be attained. It actually helped me to develop my playing dynamics to a higher level. There are other tricks you can do to really help the cleans as well. 5751 tube in v1; 12at7 tube in the PI spot REALLY warm up the cleans. Backing off the volume pot on your guitar also helps.

"Bad" cleans are not a reason to avoid that amp, unless you require Fender cleans in your music.

And if you plan to boost the clean channel with a TS to get light crunch, that works very well. Oddly enough, some of the best lead tones I've gotten out of my 6505+ 112 have been through the rhythm channel with the gain very low and boosted with my MXR M77. They're not exactly metal lead tones, but more like rock/bluesy leads that slowly phase into feedback with vibrato... = sweet.
Last edited by KailM at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
From whatever I read on the 3120 it is not like the XXX, the lead channel is different, which is not a bad thing as the leads channel on the original was way over the top.

They are the exact same amp circuit. the only real difference is the XXX shipped with 6L6 tubes stock and the 3120 ships with EL34 stock. Other than that they are the exact same amp in different housings.
look

and

They even have the same channel/knob layout
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Jet City 50 and its pretty great. It can do modern stuff as well as old, and if you want you can just tun an overdrive in front of it and it tightens up the sound a bit. I use it for practice and gigs.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Thanks for the replies guys. For some reason, I didn't think the XXX was an actual amp name. Just seemed too generic and I thought you were referring to something else....nevermind. . But after a little research, I might be leaning that way, it looks pretty cool and GC has a couple of used 212 ones. . 6505+ and Jet city are close contenders though.

Need to find more in stock to test.
I always considered the XXX to be a bit bright. Maybe with the right EQ, JJ pre's, EL34s and the right speaker combinations I'm sure I could get along with it real well

Anyway - my vote goes for Vypyr tube hybrid.
Quote by Jeffh40
Thanks for the replies guys. For some reason, I didn't think the XXX was an actual amp name. Just seemed too generic and I thought you were referring to something else....nevermind. . But after a little research, I might be leaning that way, it looks pretty cool and GC has a couple of used 212 ones. . 6505+ and Jet city are close contenders though.

Need to find more in stock to test.

I had a XXX for a while and they are very nice, versatile amps. decent cleans and8 good dirty channels
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ I agree, the lead channel was IMO not very useable. The trucker-girl also had to go, that was just gaudy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Peavey Ultra+ would be a nice amp and save you some cash for speaker swaps.
I used one for awhile I think its what is now the JSX.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Ultra Plus is an interesting beast, I'd describe it as what you would get if you mixed a 6505 with a JSX. It's like a XXX, but more dialed back in the highs, but also with low mid growl of the 6505. Cleans better than XXX but not as good as JSX.

The regular Ultra is more like a straight up hybrid of the 6505 and XXX, but with the gain more rolled back and tame.

Naturally, the Ultra is a lot more raw and aggressive than the Ultra Plus. The Ultra Plus is almost suited for thrash/80s metal, whereas the Ultra sounds more 90s, and can be boosted to modern applications like the 6505.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 3, 2014,
Thanks off didn't know the history for sure still on