Ok, just got back into guitar a couple months ago after 20 years off, and I need some help with amps bigtime. This is what I have:

Amp: Marshall DSL 5C -- 5 watt, 1 watt with headphone jack (apartment dweller here)
Pedals: Big Muff Deluxe, MXR Fullbore Metal
Guitar: 2013 SG Standard

With the Big Muff and Fullbore, the sound is pretty nice when I'm playing power chords, but when I solo, look out -- lots of humming and noise. Doesn't seem to matter what I do in terms of adjustments.

With no pedals, the sound is super clean on my clean and dirty channels. With the gain cranked up hard on the dirty channel there's a tiny hint of noise on solos (chords sound awesome), but nothing abnormal sounding.

Problem seems to be pedals + solos. And it's not just bumping other strings on bends; the noise is there on hammers and pull offs, sometimes even single notes, and my technique is pretty good.

Is it possible that those pedals are putting out way too much juice for that 1 watt to handle? If so, would I be better off getting, say, a 100 or 150 watt amp and playing at headphone volume?

I'm not sure what to do and I don't want to spend a grand on a new amp without knowing what I should be looking for.
I think you have way too much gain. On top of that, big muffs are noisy as hell. Sometimes that's a good thing but not in your situation. And the fullbore isn't exactly a praised pedal, it may be causing more noise than the big muff.

A possible solution would be to get yourself a tubescreamer type pedal instead of the distortion and fuzz pedals you have and use it to tighten things up and control volume while using only the amp's gain.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
So are you running the distortion pedals through the clean channel, or dirty channel, or ... ?

What is wrong with just using the amps dirt channel by itself?

I am just trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Try out a noise suppressor, something like a Decimator or Boss NS-2, pedals make a hell of a lot of noise and the suppressor will kill most, maybe all of the hiss
So for most Sabbath tunes I use the dirt channel by itself with no pedals and it's great. I got the Big Muff for the Paranoid solo and for the main riff of Sweet Leaf.

I got the Fullbore for Metallica tunes.

I just did some playing around and I think I made a discovery. Previously by default I had the guitar volume knob to 10 and the amp on about 4. Just now I turned the guitar volume knob down to 1-2, but the amp all the way up to 10. With the Fullbore my solo noise problem is gone, same with the Big Muff. And that was coming through the dirt channel. Had the gain 3/4 the way up on the Fullbore, no noise problem.

I'm glad that worked but I just don't get it....
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll get one of those suppressors for insurance. Who knows what'll happen when I unplug the headphones and crank the knob on the SG.
Quote by darkwolf291
Does it still hum when you're touching the guitar strings or the bridge?

When I run the pedals through the clean channel, it's horrible. Barely touch the strings and it's noise/static/fuzz off the charts. But through the dirty channel the Fullbore & Muff work very nicely as long as I have the amp at 10, and then controlling volume on the guitar.
Last edited by PB26 at Jul 29, 2014,
And I should note that with no pedals the clean channel is super sweet, no issues at all.
Quote by darkwolf291
Have you tried running one pedal at a time to try and figure out if it's one single pedal doing it or a combination of the two?

Yeah, I only use one at a time, and just to be sure I ran the guitar to the amp through one pedal only. No change. Seems weird that the clean channel is getting a bad reaction while the dirt's fine.

How stupid of me.

Grab a pencil and turn on the amp on the clean channel.
Tap each of the tubes with the eraser.
If you hear something through the amp when you tap it, you have a microphonic tube and need to replace it.

Could be the gain pedals are bringing the noise up to an audible threshold.
Quote by darkwolf291

How stupid of me.

Grab a pencil and turn on the amp on the clean channel.
Tap each of the tubes with the eraser.
If you hear something through the amp when you tap it, you have a microphonic tube and need to replace it.

Could be the gain pedals are bringing the noise up to an audible threshold.

Cool, thanks for the tip man. I just bought it on Saturday so I'll be fuming if that's what's going on.
Quote by darkwolf291
It's not their fault.
Sometimes tubes go microphonic.

It happens.

Yeah I'm a newbie with this stuff so I'll relax a little.
Quote by PB26
Yeah I'm a newbie with this stuff so I'll relax a little.

results yet?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Haven't opened it up yet. But my money says darkwolf's right once I do.
Last edited by PB26 at Jul 30, 2014,
Quote by PB26
Haven't opened it up yet. But my money says darkwolf's right once I do.

i agree. get a screwdriver get it open and tap those tubes!

like most of us on this form from now somewhat under the influence.

i am just over enthusiastic.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yep, this sucker's going to the shop. Thanks again for the tips, I would have pulled every last hair out trying to figure out what was going on.
Changing tubes is literally as easy as changing a light bulb. Unless your amp needs biased, you just unplug the old, plug in the new.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
And preamp tubes never need to be rebiased.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification