Hello,
I'm having some trouble with latency in Ableton Live 9. There is always a good amount of latency in the input (not the output) when recording and monitoring. It happens if I plug the guitar straight into the audio interface or if I use the line out of my amp into the audio interface or even if I use another audio interface, it still is there. The buffer size is low (256) therefore I can't figure out what the problem might be...
Thanks
256 samples isn't that low at 44.1kHz.
That means 6 milliseconds of input latency only, not counting the time the data interface is gonna take, which is 2 or 3ms with USB.

What interface do you have, what processor do you have, and is that latency still there when using other programs?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
My interface: RME Babyface
My processor: i7 2600k

if I use reaper the latency is low like it should be in ableton.
Meaning that if you use reaper and keep the buffer size the same as in live you don't get the same latency you get in live?

If that's the case, does that also happen when you have a clean project in live? - no plugins, no recorded audio, only the one or two tracks you want your audio to go in.
Have you tried re-installing live?
Have you tried lowering the buffer size and/or raising the sampling frequency of the project?
Is the latency still there when you're recording?
Is the latency compensated for by live after you recorded audio?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
to all your questions:

-yes it does happen in a clean project as well
-I will try reinstalling
-buffer size is at its lowest 256 at 44.1 kHz andit says there are 11.6ms latency, but when I record, there are waaaaay more.
-when I record the latency is in there yes
- usually what I do is move the audio track to record latency but that means that I can't use the live monitoring system since it has terrible latency on it
How can you be sure it's over 11.6ms. That's quite a long time when it's live recording.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Jayerrr
- usually what I do is move the audio track to record latency but that means that I can't use the live monitoring system since it has terrible latency on it
If you gotta do this while you have the latency compensation enabled (I'm not sure live has that but I reckon it does) you have a lot of (probably) output latency live doesn't detect.

I suggest also reinstalling your audio interface's drivers and ASIO4ALL.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Ableton has a 'test tone' that you should use to set your latency. There are instructions for how to calibrate your latency on Ableton's site and in the manual. Try calibrating and see if that helps
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I think you might somehow blending live input monitoring with post fx monitoring in your DAW. DOn't know how to explain it exactly but my audio interface has a switch to turn on/off live input monitoring, i.e. monitoring at the jack plugin stage. My DAW has a audio-thru monitoring when recording is enabled. When I have both enabled I get nasty slapback. 6ms shouldn't be that bad.