I am currently working on my first rondo form piece for piano. My A section is in D major, and I modulate to Eb major for my B section, but after doing some more research into rondo form for ideas, I read that rondos typically modulate to the dominant key for the B section. Is it strange to see a key that is not diatonic to the home key for the B section? I want my first rondo to be true to the form, and was wondering if I should just change the B section to A major.
The bII is a tritone away from the dominant so it can have a similar function.

I'd say not to get too bogged down in the purely theoretical side of it. The Classical tonic-dominant-tonic form has been challenged since Beethoven and the Romantics with their wilder modulations. What really matters is, does it work?

When you hear the piece, it should sound like you're wading deeper into unexplored territory in your B section. If it sounds like it just shifted up a gear like the last chorus in a pop song, then maybe you should consider a different modulation. But if it still has that unresolved yearning to return to the tonic at the end, then I'd stay stick with what you've got.

Good luck with your rondo!
Quote by Declan87
The bII is a tritone away from the dominant so it can have a similar function.

I'd say not to get too bogged down in the purely theoretical side of it. The Classical tonic-dominant-tonic form has been challenged since Beethoven and the Romantics with their wilder modulations. What really matters is, does it work?

When you hear the piece, it should sound like you're wading deeper into unexplored territory in your B section. If it sounds like it just shifted up a gear like the last chorus in a pop song, then maybe you should consider a different modulation. But if it still has that unresolved yearning to return to the tonic at the end, then I'd stay stick with what you've got.

Good luck with your rondo!

Thanks for the comment! I actually had Beethoven in mind after listening to a sonata that has a major home key and a secondary theme in the key of the parallel major of iii. I wanted something a little different like that.