I assume this is the right place to post this query so here goes
How do you guys decide what to spend your hard earned cash on?
For example I'm working a lot over the summer so I will be able to afford things that I can't normally
I'm deciding between an xbox one or chopping in my used PRS and having a brand new single cut but I struggle to justify my purchases
What do you guys do?
Determined by whether I can write off the expense on my taxes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm 17 so I've already got a car and saved almost all of the insurance money for next year plus I'm going to a full time job after I finish college next year
Here's an idea, call your bank, have them deduct $200 a month and have them put it in your savings. When you get enough for something you want, buy it. That way you're still saving up while also getting what you want. So hypothetically, you could have that Xbox in 3 months.
Quote by alexriffs
I'm 17 so I've already got a car and saved almost all of the insurance money for next year plus I'm going to a full time job after I finish college next year

I hope that's a guarantee, rather than a dream.

Personally, I give myself an allowance to spend on trivial shit like overpriced coffee or a kebab sandwich, usually about 5% of my monthly income, regardless of how much I earn.
The rest I keep saved up until it's spent on pricey things like a guitar. It's simple, and keeps me bathing in € while other people that I know keep complaining that they've spent their whole paycheck already within a week of recieving it.
If I have the money for something, and that money isn't needed for like food, school, car insurance/car payment, or other important things, then I buy it.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
i look at how bored i currently am. if i have productive things to do, then i don't need to spoil myself with more fun things. if i am just sitting around wasting time, i punish myself by not buying anything.

on a more serious note...i only spend on luxuries that i am 100% sure i want. so in a first-world middle class sense, the luxuries i buy aren't really luxuries. for me, a nice thing isn't worth having if you don't really give it the appreciation it deserves.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Take paycheck.

Take out things that are important

See if I can afford things I want with the rest.

Spend/don't spend appropriately
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Save it or give it away.

(Yeaaah probably not the best taking advice from a chrometophobe)
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I've got so much debt that I don't worry about spending cause it's all just a drop in the bucket anyway.
I picture myself using the product and then I picture myself using my money to purchase the product then I remember that i'm cheap.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Lord_Doku
overpriced coffee
My bane. And I specifically mean "high-end" drip coffee, no creamers or lattes or any of that garbage.

But I try to spend very little, and save a certain amount each month. From time to time I make generally larger purchases of things I really want, usually outdoor rec. related, or it gets spent on a trip or something.
Step 1. Obtain credit card
step 2. ??????
Step 3. Debt!
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
Step 1. Obtain credit card
step 2. ??????
Step 3. Debt!
The American model, eh? Good call.
i take the money i have. pay all the things i have to. then i figure out how much money i need so i can live on a fiver a day until i next get money and put the rest in a savings account that i dip in to if it's worth it
I dont save up anything caus my student loans gain more interest then saving would build up. So any extra i have i plop down on them and thats usually around 500 a month. Then i have about 2 grand left to pay the bills, get drunk and keep myself fed
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Here's what I did, I knocked up a girl from a rich family. So now, I can buy whatever I want and it's all good. I should have done this in high school.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I ask myself these simple questions:
1. Is this a necessary expense as in food, rent, phone bill, etc?
*If yes, pay for that
*If no, continue to question 2

2. Is it booze?
*If yes, get it
*If no, you've already spent all your money on booze

Repeat every two weeks.

Quote by Xiaoxi

Xiaoxi, how can I write off my alcohol expenses?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
well normally i don't have any money left over because i have to cover costs such as fuel and phone bill etc but as i'll be working extra i'll have more disposable income

Here's what I did, I knocked up a girl from a rich family. So now, I can buy whatever I want and it's all good. I should have done this in high school.

Good call
Quote by Xiaoxi

True, and even then I still hate doing it.
#DTWD
Can I afford it?

Would I be better off saving some money this month, and making my purchase next month?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I have a vague mental spreadsheet for money. It kind of vaguely keeps track of my income, when bills are due, what I'm spending on essentials, a cash buffer(I worry if I don't have the cash to replace something like my fridge if it dies), and stuff I'm saving up for(atm, I'll be looking to replace my PC early next year).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I have a vague mental spreadsheet for money. It kind of vaguely keeps track of my income, when bills are due, what I'm spending on essentials, a cash buffer(I worry if I don't have the cash to replace something like my fridge if it dies), and stuff I'm saving up for(atm, I'll be looking to replace my PC early next year).

This, but instead of "vague, mental spreadsheet" it's more a "detailed, literal spreadsheet".

I'd heartily recommend that everybody do this. My financial management was.... not the best before I did this, now I know exactly where I stand, and what I can afford.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
This, but instead of "vague, mental spreadsheet" it's more a "detailed, literal spreadsheet".

I'd heartily recommend that everybody do this. My financial management was.... not the best before I did this, now I know exactly where I stand, and what I can afford.

This. I'm all up in the spreadsheets for both personal and professional accounts.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
This. I'm all up in the spreadsheets for both personal and professional accounts.

I'm all about the spreadsheets for absolutely everything. Nothing like seeing lots of figures in columns and making those bitches dance.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by JackalUK
The bigger question is...

cash or debit card?

Mostly cash if under £20, debit card if more.

EDIT: I only use a credit card online, because mine offers rather better purchase protection than my debit card. And even then, I pay the bill in full every month.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jul 30, 2014,
Quote by JackalUK

cash or debit card? Credit is for losers!

At the bar? Cash. At the grocery store? Debit.

But seriously, how can I write off my home booze?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by JackalUK

Pretty much Debit card all the time. Barely ever have cash on me these days, unless I've gone and got it for a specific reason.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by JackalUK

Not necessarily. First off you need credit cards in order to establish credit. Or they at least help immensely. Secondly, if I could do it again I'd get a frequent flyer miles credit card, buy all my regular expenses on there but pay it off in full immediately. As long as you're not spending money you don't have, there's nothing wrong with a credit card. Sure, the fees suck. But whatever. If I could travel for peanuts it'd be worth it.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
Not necessarily. First off you need credit cards in order to establish credit. Or they at least help immensely. Secondly, if I could do it again I'd get a frequent flyer miles credit card, buy all my regular expenses on there but pay it off in full immediately. As long as you're not spending money you don't have, there's nothing wrong with a credit card. Sure, the fees suck. But whatever. If I could travel for peanuts it'd be worth it.

I don't pay fees on my card.

True, I get jack shit(other than what would appear to be better online fraud & purchase protection) from it, but still.
Quote by Diemon Dave