I've been practicing guitar now for the last 3 years...I'm a older gentleman so it's taking me a little time to get my speed up and fingers moving fast (Classic Rock). I know all the pentatonic patterns and can pick pretty fast up and down the neck but it just sounds blahhhh not very melodic, I can hit some pretty nice licks but I need to learn the next step to making my solo melodic...what should I study to add to my solo's...arpeggio's I read alot on but havent quiet tried them...If I'm shredding up the neck with a fast solo what can I add to the pentatonic scales that Im using...Thanks in advanced
Quote by Quazzar
I've been practicing guitar now for the last 3 years...I'm a older gentleman so it's taking me a little time to get my speed up and fingers moving fast (Classic Rock). I know all the pentatonic patterns and can pick pretty fast up and down the neck but it just sounds blahhhh not very melodic, I can hit some pretty nice licks but I need to learn the next step to making my solo melodic...what should I study to add to my solo's...arpeggio's I read alot on but havent quiet tried them...If I'm shredding up the neck with a fast solo what can I add to the pentatonic scales that Im using...Thanks in advanced

Learn some solos.

Otherwise your just mechanically piecing together random ideas, which tends to sound blahhh and not very melodic.

If you like classic rock, there are tons of solos to learn.
Quote by Quazzar

I'd suggest that you work to understand and apply music more.

You fit the profile of what I consider a "carpetbombing" guitarist. You might know a scale and throw as many notes as you can in a at a progression, and sometimes some of them hit. So, they don't sound bad, but they don't really sound inspiring or "right" either.

If my read is right, then yes, you'll be living in a rut.

My thoughts are, that if you know the notes in any chords that you are playing, and if you know every note on the fretboard instantly...for example, if you're playing at the 3rd string 8th fret, do you know that note? How quickly? You should be able to identify it as an Eb within a half second or less. And say you are playing a Hendrix jam like tune and there's a C min chord coming up ala "All Along the Watchtower"

If you know your chords, and you know Cm has an Eb in it, and the change is coming....so you decide to target your phrase to nail the minor 3rd....hit Eb on the moment that Cm plays, and sustain it, and now you are using a knowledge of music to seamlessly effect a solo, that's on the chord tones of the progression. If you use some "outside" chords, you haven't lost yourself, because you can then play a chord tone that's in that outside chord, and sound awesome and like a genius.

That might be the next stage of your evolution...

Best,

Sean
Quote by Quazzar

Start transcribing solos absorb the musical phrases they're using then implement it into your playing.
Thanks for the tip, Sean Im gonna sign up on the site this week and try it out..I've studied alot of theory and understand alot of it but havent put alot of into use. modes, cage, Im looking forward to learning with some practice to go with it. Thanks alot
Guitarmunky, black_devils I will be getting back to learning solo's again..I think I got frustrated about a year ago with alot of them being to hard once I got to a certain part, but that was a while back and my technique and speed have doubled since then...Thanks again
Quote by GuitarMunky
Learn some solos.

If you like classic rock, there are tons of solos to learn.

+1

Quote by Black_devils
Start transcribing solos absorb the musical phrases they're using then implement it into your playing.

I'd just get the tabs at the start. I'm not sure working them out from the get-go is the best approach, learn first, then start trying to work out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never give up, just keep learning new things and keep trying new styles, building your musicianship is like building a toned body. You don't just do biceps curls and expect to strengthen your core, you need to have at least an idea of all the different things that you can do to improve and then try and do a little bit of as many of these things as you can every week.
Quote by Quazzar

u mention pentatonic patterns and u mention up and down the neck etc.

There is also the whole aspect of blues type phrasing with bends and vibrato and more "vocal" type phrasing as opposed to just running a scale up and down like a scale.

As an exercise, in the key of A minor, you could take just the 4 notes G,A,C,D right from the middle of the pentatonic "box" on the 5th thru 7th frets and see how much u can get out of them.

we are talking about the d string 5th and 7th fret and the g string 5th and 7th fret. You can sit and work those 4 notes with bending and vibrato and get quite a lot of soulful expression from them. After a while u can combine a more flashy "scalar" type of playing with the more expressive type and u will be in good shape

U can also check youtube for videos on the "BB King" box to get ideas to add much expression to your playing

-----------

Also keep in mind that a lot of the interest of the solo will come from the chords u solo over. If the progression is really boring then it can sometimes be hard to stir up much excitement. Its nice to have an interesting or unexpected chord change from time to time and then even the very simple type phrasing I described can have a very strong effect

Last time I checked there were approximately 9.3 million backing tracks online, so u have some variety to play with
Ear training (that way you don't just hit random notes and hope for the best results). Learn other people's solos.

Scales don't make music. You need to be able to use the notes. And that's where you need your ear. And of course playing other people's solos helps because you can learn new licks or stuff like that.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Ear training (that way you don't just hit random notes and hope for the best results). Learn other people's solos.

Scales don't make music. You need to be able to use the notes. And that's where you need your ear. And of course playing other people's solos helps because you can learn new licks or stuff like that.

I would add to this, that since you're hearing things that already "work" in other people's solos, it gears your ear towards what "works" and "doesn't work". Of course, to really use those ideas, you have to train your ear further. I would say playing other people's solos can act almost as a precursor to actual ear training (not that it's required, by any means), if that makes any sense.
^ In my experience (which is pretty much zero, it must be said ), most good lead players spent ages copying/studying other people's solos.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think it's also important not to get too bogged down in details that you forget the very basic principles of playing a musical instrument. What you're doing is, in essence, a simple thing - you put your fingers where they need to be to make the sound you want. That's it, the details don't change that fact. However a lot of guitarists fall into the trap of doing the opposite, move your hands around and hope something good comes out - the carpet bombing approach Sean mentioned. That's not really playing the guitar, that's the guitar playing you.

It's important to keep progressing and learning, just don't lose sight of the big picture. It does obviously take time to become familiar enough with the guitar to know exactly what's going to happen when you do something but that's another part of the learning process. Just pay attention to your ears and make the extra effort to mentally associate the actions you're performing with the sound you're making.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Just pay attention to your ears and make the extra effort to mentally associate the actions you're performing with the sound you're making.

There's a (bad) joke about pulling faces during solos in there somewhere...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?