Hey guys, I new here so forgive if this is a stupid question but I would appreciate any help. Recently, my high e string broke. This was the first time a string has broken on me so I'm a complete beginner when it comes to restringing. I have no problem getting the string through the bridge and wrapping it around the tuning peg, but I'm having trouble getting the string to its proper pitch. When I tighten it, the highest it goes is to C# and if I tighten more, I'm certain it'll break. If I loosen it, the whole string become too loose for there to be ANY pitch. I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe I'm leaving too much or too little slack? Or maybe the truss rod is the problem, considering I had to wait a week and a half to get a replacement? Did leaving my guitar with 5 strings for that long mess up the setup? What do you think is the problem? Again, any help is appreciated guys.
A guitar will be fine with NO strings on it for a while, so don't worry about the truss rod. I say just go for it and go up to E and see what happens. I remember that feeling, I doubt it will break. Worst that happens is you need another string. Also, next time just replace all of them. The more strings you change, the better you get at it
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Hey, thanks for answering my question Stig but do you have any idea as to why this happened?
Strings need to stretch out and get accustomed to the tension they are put under.

Agreed with above ^
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by alome345
Hey guys, I new here so forgive if this is a stupid question but I would appreciate any help. Recently, my high e string broke. This was the first time a string has broken on me so I'm a complete beginner when it comes to restringing. I have no problem getting the string through the bridge and wrapping it around the tuning peg, but I'm having trouble getting the string to its proper pitch. When I tighten it, the highest it goes is to C# and if I tighten more, I'm certain it'll break. If I loosen it, the whole string become too loose for there to be ANY pitch. I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe I'm leaving too much or too little slack? Or maybe the truss rod is the problem, considering I had to wait a week and a half to get a replacement? Did leaving my guitar with 5 strings for that long mess up the setup? What do you think is the problem? Again, any help is appreciated guys.
Two things you need to rule out. You're tuning the string to a C# yes, but is it possible you're at the wrong octave? If you're an octave too high, that would certainly break the string when you try to hit, "high E".

Every once in a great while I screw up like that with the octave G on a 12 string. Thankfully, not recently though.

Are the coils at the tuning peg on your e-1 string done correctly? If the wraps are slipping, there's no way you'll get it to full pitch. (Well maybe eventually).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 29, 2014,
Hey guys, like Stig suggested, I decided to tighten the string to the max and it worked, it didn't break. Thanks for the help, my guitar is all tuned up now.