Howdy Pit,

So a friend and I are trying to put together an acoustic duo that can go around and perform at different pubs/restaurants/grills in our local area to possibly generate some cash flow. I've attached a video of us performing a sample below. My question is, how would you go about contacting pubs/restaurants/grills to perform? If you have had any prior experience, what do you typically get paid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plX9a6thKOo
Ask to see the management, see if they're willing, play a gig.

that's the short way, no time for a long explanation.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
^
Start off with the places you know already have live entertainment. Bars typically do, I suggest starting there.
Don't. I hate live music at restaurants/bars
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I've done quite a bit of acoustic duo work and the pay was variable from very little to very good. We made anywhere from $80 for a 2 hr coffeehouse gig to $600 for a medical conference welcome party. We could sometimes generate $100/hr busking in a prime location. If you have 3 hrs of material I suggest you test market this at a local college coffeehouse, local park, or beach and gauge interest. Have a friend video your performance with you clearly attracting crowds. If you can attract a crowd in public, you have something to offer.

For a restaurant to value you enough to agree to pay for your service you must be able to attract a crowd and keep them interested or bring a crowd with you. If you can guarantee 50 of your best friends will show up you will be in high demand. They live and die by cash register sales so if sales grow with you in the room you have value. Bring friends.

Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by lolmnt
Don't. I hate live music at restaurants/bars

I agree with you on the Restaurant front, **** that noise.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi

metacarpi doesnt like fun
banned
The guy who use to play music in our restaurant got a free meal, a beer and the owner smoked him up. I think that's about your expectation
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Jul 30, 2014,
Quote by metacarpi

Well, depends on the restaurant. I probably wouldn't mind it at [something like]Franky & Benny's, but it wouldn't suit the Buttery(replace with your own local fancy-ass place).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
A local Tex-Mex place has a guy in on Friday and Saturday evenings playing (reasonably well) and singing (poorly) solo acoustic country covers, but he plays strictly for tips. Over the course of about 4 hours he said he makes about $100 on average.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
If I'm in a restaurant that has live music I expect it to be posh and fancy with a guy on a piano or a small string quartet or something.
Quote by Wiegenlied
The guy who use to play music in our restaurant got a free meal, a beer and the owner smoked him up. I think that's about your expectation

Yup. Don't get all pissy when no one is going to pay you and your friend no one has ever heard of outside of this thread. Play a few shit bars and open mics until/if people actually like you. Then maybe you'll get a paid gig at an actual venue. Or someone will ask you to play for their kids and they'll give you a free meal, a beer, and the angsty teen son will smoke you up.
Not at restaurants- people don't wanna hear loud musicians when they're trying to eat a meal. At pubs yeah, but not somewhere that serves only food.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Wormholes
Yup. Don't get all pissy when no one is going to pay you and your friend no one has ever heard of outside of this thread. Play a few shit bars and open mics until/if people actually like you. Then maybe you'll get a paid gig at an actual venue. Or someone will ask you to play for their kids and they'll give you a free meal, a beer, and the angsty teen son will smoke you up.

Or the rebellious teen daughter will let you spit roast her.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
i dunno if any of you actually watched the video but they're just not even good
Quote by willT08
i dunno if any of you actually watched the video but they're just not even good

Quote by Wormholes
I heard them intro themselves and thought that was cringe enough.

Whether constructive or not, I'll try to take it that way...how do you suggest we improve? Btw, you probably already noticed but I'm the guy on the right in the UWG shirt.
Quote by deadsmileyface
lolmnt doesnt like fun

It's bad in restaurants bc it dominates the atmosphere. Like you go thinking you're gunna have fun with your friends and stuff but now you gotta clap every four minutes bc a guy knows a Neil Young song. And they never play any good songs. It's always boring covers of bad songs. Like if I wanted to listen to four Jimmy Buffet songs I'd ride in some dad's car. It's worse for bars bc sometimes they'll have a whole band playing covers and they'll be way to loud and you can't even talk to your friends so you have to sit outside but it's still muggy bc it rained earlier. And if I want bad music too loud I'd go do a club bc there's pretty ladies there to dance with/get #mnted

If I wanna see live music I'll go see it. But don't force me to.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
you don't have to clap. people rarely do at restaurants. i don't expect them to either. more often than not when i've played a restaurant we're well aware we're just background noise and there for aesthetic.

i do agree it sucks when bars have shitty, loud bands. at the same time nobody's forcing you to do anything. nobody's forcing you and and your friends to go out at all. you go to the bar if you want to be in the bar environment. a lot of times that environment includes bands at some point in the night. if you want to hang out with your friends where it's quiet just hang out at someone's house. it's cheaper anyway.
#DTWD
Quote by lolmnt
It's bad in restaurants bc it dominates the atmosphere. Like you go thinking you're gunna have fun with your friends and stuff but now you gotta clap every four minutes bc a guy knows a Neil Young song. And they never play any good songs. It's always boring covers of bad songs. Like if I wanted to listen to four Jimmy Buffet songs I'd ride in some dad's car. It's worse for bars bc sometimes they'll have a whole band playing covers and they'll be way to loud and you can't even talk to your friends so you have to sit outside but it's still muggy bc it rained earlier. And if I want bad music too loud I'd go do a club bc there's pretty ladies there to dance with/get #mnted

If I wanna see live music I'll go see it. But don't force me to.

okay i can understand and respect your opinion
banned
Quote by willT08
dump the other bloke did he even hit a note the whole song ffs

I was thinking this the whole time too, and even having him on guitar seems like a waste. I know he's playing different voicings compared to your chords, but no one at a restaurant will care. Just get a straight singer to take over and you play guitar.
Quote by That Old Geezer
I was thinking this the whole time too, and even having him on guitar seems like a waste. I know he's playing different voicings compared to your chords, but no one at a restaurant will care. Just get a straight singer to take over and you play guitar.

Homophobe!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by YeahKyuss
Howdy Pit,

So a friend and I are trying to put together an acoustic duo that can go around and perform at different pubs/restaurants/grills in our local area to possibly generate some cash flow. I've attached a video of us performing a sample below. My question is, how would you go about contacting pubs/restaurants/grills to perform? If you have had any prior experience, what do you typically get paid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plX9a6thKOo

Unfortunately, the pay is not very good. Usually drinks and food, plus tips. I've done private parties and they do seem to pay quite a bit more. But on the bar or restaurant gig your probably looking at $30-40 each for an evening. People do it for the love of performing, not the pay.
And like the others have said, you need to bring an audience. They don't care how good you are, they care about revenue.
One of my friends had made decent money just playing and singing on a street corner for tips.
Quote by deberney
Unfortunately, the pay is not very good. Usually drinks and food, plus tips. I've done private parties and they do seem to pay quite a bit more. But on the bar or restaurant gig your probably looking at $30-40 each for an evening. People do it for the love of performing, not the pay.
And like the others have said, you need to bring an audience. They don't care how good you are, they care about revenue.
One of my friends had made decent money just playing and singing on a street corner for tips

step 1 to posting in a forum, don't bump 5 month old threads

oops you failed
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Jan 25, 2015,