Haven't been on the forums for a couple of years - sorry if I'm breaking any rules by posting this.

I've tried contacting Fender and haven't received an answer. I've posted on the Fender forums and didn't receive an answer. So I thought I'd come here.

Anyway, I have a Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass V with active pickups. I bought it used and the original owner upgraded to a Fender bridge, Fender tuners, and installed Dunlop strap locks, so it's a pretty decent bass for what I need it for. However, I want to replace the stock pickups. The problem I've encountered are the stock pickups are the same dimensions as the pickups in a 4-string jazz bass. I'm not sure if it has 4-string jazz bass pickups or if it has 5-string pickups that are in the size of 4-string pickups.

I read somewhere that if you buy bar magnet pickups instead of pickups with pole pieces then you can use a 4-string pickup in a 5-string bass - not sure how true that is.

Someone help?
A bar magnet pickup for a four-string bass would work in a five-string bass IF (and only if) the bars covered the entire range of string vibration. If they vibrate past the ends of the bars, then you are going to lose some signal.

What are the dimensions of your bass pickups?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I had that same bass when they first came out (nearly a decade ago, **** me) and, IIRC, the pickups are the same size as the Mexican Standard 4 strings back then which had two pickups of equal length rather than different sizes for bridge and neck. It might be that you have to buy them separately. So yes, MEASURE THEIR DIMENSIONS TO THE MILLIMETRE BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING.

You'll definitely need bar magnet pickups, that what it has at the moment. If you can find EMGs the right size then that's be my recommendation as you already have the battery space, Bartolinis are a good passive option.
Quote by Spaz91
If you can find EMGs the right size then that's be my recommendation as you already have the battery space, Bartolinis are a good passive option.

Good calls, but for the love of God, do not get those passive EMG Hz pickups! The active EMGs are just fine, but installing those passive turds is nothing short of bass castration!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley