Hello, I made a thread a week ago about this but I can't find it so sorry that I'm making a second one.

I've narrowed down my choices to 6 guitars;

Gibson J-45
Gibson Sparrow
Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
Gibson Hummingbird Pro
Martin D-28
Martin D-18

I do not have access to test any of these guitars and I don't really know how they sound exactly. I would love for someone to explain how each guitar sounds.

Thanks for your help
Quote by crimsonbambootr
Hello, I made a thread a week ago about this but I can't find it so sorry that I'm making a second one.

I've narrowed down my choices to 6 guitars;

Gibson J-45
Gibson Sparrow
Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
Gibson Hummingbird Pro
Martin D-28
Martin D-18

I do not have access to test any of these guitars and I don't really know how they sound exactly. I would love for someone to explain how each guitar sounds.

Thanks for your help
Good luck with that!

A tip for your future ease of locating a thread, just click on the link in the email. You'll get an email when someone responds.

I don't play electric, but what do you think I should buy for my first electric? A Les Paul Custom, a Zack Wylde signature, An Eric Clapton signature American Stratocaster, or the most expensive guitar PRS makes? Or how about maybe something from Carvin's Custom Shop? Could you, or more importantly would you, care to describe in detail how each one of those guitars sounds? How do they sound through different amps?

"Do you SEE what I'm saying"? I'm using an oxymoron, to illustrate how difficult it might to describe how even one guitar sounds, let alone a half dozen.

Besides, you can get the bestest acoustic guitars whut ever roamed thu earf, raht here: http://www.zagerguitar.com/
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 30, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky

Besides, you can get the bestest acoustic guitars whut ever roamed thu earf, raht here: http://www.zagerguitar.com/

you know, if he actually fell for that link/joke you posted and bought one, he would hunt you down and kill you like the dog you are ! heck, I'd give him directions !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
you know, if he actually fell for that link/joke you posted and bought one, he would hunt you down and kill you like the dog you are ! heck, I'd give him directions !
Not if my buddy Bot Zager had anything to say about it!

Oddly, I was able to summon the first thread, in less than 60 seconds: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32840512#post32840512

Keep in mind, most of the regulars here, were somewhat incredulous as to why someone who has never owned an acoustic guitar, would peel off a list of such high end stuff, such as it was.

How important could this be to our TS, if he managed to lose any trace of the original thread? After all , he should have received several emails with the replies, each one containing links to the OP.

So now, we have a new thread, with a revised listing. Here's the redacted gist
Quote by crimsonbambootr
....[ ]....I do not have access to test any of these guitars and I don't really know how they sound exactly. I would love for someone to explain how each guitar sounds. ....[ ]...
IMHO, that's sort of naive and unrealistic, if not outright unreasonable, possibly bordering on impossible.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to buy all 15,000.oo+ dollars worth of guitars on the list, and then reply, telling our TS, how each one sounds, and also in relation to the others, in essay form.

Since this post will self destruct in 10 seconds, leave me the f*** out of it....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 30, 2014,
Of those, my personal pick is the Martin D28. But I'm a Martin guy and I've never really liked any Gibson (electric or acoustic) I've ever played.

I'll save you from the cumbersome rant I was gonna post, because as a beginner, I made a similar thread about buying a rig that cost even more than any guitar on your list. I'm often told I'm a spendthrift (I'm about to start my second year at university and a few months ago, I was saving for a Rolex. Have your laughs). I got similar responses. I think it mostly came from the fact that I mentioned how young I was then.

As well all know, 16 years olds (the age I was then) are very responsible with money and make reasonable decisions. Nearly three years later, I'm still spending a lot of money I don't need to spend on guitars and other luxuries. Come to think of it, I've spent more on musical gear in three years than all of these guitars cost together (I'm not saying to this to brag, but to better relate to the situation). I'm a bad combination of insatiable and financially fortunate. But truthfully (and perhaps, very luckily), I never ended up regretting those decisions. Each piece of my guitar rig holds a place in my list of most valuable possessions. After all, it's unlikely you won't like the guitar you buy even if you don't hear it at first, since they're high quality.

Sidetrack: However, I spent months upon months doing research on the gear I wanted, and hours at Guitar Center until I was completely satisfied. Granted, the half-stack was nowhere to be found in my area, so I relied on the music in my playlist and YouTube, but I did it for months. The fact that you're not even going to test any of them and rely on the subjective words of a forum... well, I mean, just realise that you're reading about how something sounds. It's like trying to hear what something tastes like.

Quote by Captaincranky
Not if my buddy Bot Zager had anything to say about it!

Be careful, that Zager employee from that thread posted on my profile. He suggest to us that we either shut up or get lives.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 30, 2014,
Be careful, that Zager employee from that thread posted on my profile. He suggest to us that we either shut up or get lives.

it wasn't a "meet me at the flagpole after 5th period" kinda post was it?
I do applaude your choices for a guitar. your starting off where most people end up.
in the long run, your saving thousands by not having to keep upgrading I do the same thing but, that's a lesson from my career.... always get the best equipment to do the job.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by chrismendiola
...[ ]....Be careful, that Zager employee from that thread posted on my profile. He suggest to us that we either shut up or get lives.
I visited the Zager site, just for a laugh. A sizable portion of the "inventory" was, "unavailable". So I figure the barn might be in foreclosure, and hence the big push to get that "Zager Doctrine" out there. Either that, or the OEM's are working on guitars for other reputable brands, and can't squeeze then into the schedule. But, I'm just guessing, so pay me no mind.

I also visited the Nebraska Corn Board's website. It seems there's going to be bumper crop of corn this year.

I think we all know who's responsible for that...