Hi,

So I've recently thrown away my guitar 'cause I've realized that already having a Macbook, ya know, why keep that obsolete piece of equipment? Also, everyone knows that real music is made on a MacBook, not guitar.

Question: Is it worth upgrading my MacBook Pro from 2010 (Intel Core2Duo 2,4Ghz) from 4Gb RAM to 8Gb and an SSD as well? What I'd like to experience is some smoother user experience because I've been noticing some lag lately. Programs take ages to start up and shit like that.

Thanks!
the best way to upgrade is to get rid of it and get a pc or even some linux thing
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
the best way to upgrade is to get rid of it and get a pc or even some linux thing

Unfortunately I have some really cool stickers on my MacBook that wouldn't be possible to move to another laptop without losing some of their adhesive abilities, or even worse, without damaging them. So that is not an option. I'll probably install Win 7 on it though.
Quote by MetalMullet
Unfortunately I have some really cool stickers on my MacBook that wouldn't be possible to move to another laptop without losing some of their adhesive abilities, or even worse, without damaging them. So that is not an option. I'll probably install Win 7 on it though.

Saw them off, and then nail them to the new laptop.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
the main reason I got a clevo laptop is because I can change the cpu and gpu whenever I feel like.

you know today when I get home I think I might open my laptop's chassis up and give the fans and heatsinks a good clean, the chips a repaste, take out the keyboard to properly remove all the bits and then pop the monitor frame back and give the panel a good corner to corner wipe with a microfibre cloth.

/nothing to add

actually even older cpus like the one you have are prob won't really bottleneck unless you are doing professional work/gaming on it. if it's just for casual usage like internet and ms office, you will prob be okay with the drive and ram upgrade and + fresh install to be free of any bloated stuff. though the heatsinks and fans and chips could need some maintenance which just isn't possible for the average person to perform on standard laptops, so it may still end up feeling pretty slow due to this
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by fLYinGV23
What you really need, is a new amp.

Herein lies the truth. Heed no other.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
you'll still be fine on that

I have a backup 2008 macbook that still works fine and I can still make bangers on it, just has a broken touchpad

8GB of ram might be worth it, SSD less so
If it's not running as smooth as it was, that's not cos it's obsolete. You need to do a bit of a clearout. If you can bear it, reset the whole machine to factory (backup first tho).

Under no circumstances should you put windows on it. Bangers are not made on windows.

inb4 sam says something dumb
Quote by EMarkM
Herein lies the truth. Heed no other.

This man knows.

Very sig worthy as well.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Saw them off, and then nail them to the new laptop.

solid advice right here

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Sell it. Buy a pc, probably have money for a cheap acoustic or something as well. Macs aren't meant to be upgraded. Jobs is rolling in his grave at the thought of a 4 year old mac still working.
My friend broke his few year old Macbook, he took it in to try and get it repaired and they gave him a brand new one for free. True story.
Quote by theguitarist
actually even older cpus like the one you have are prob won't really bottleneck unless you are doing professional work/gaming on it.

Actually, one of the reasons I'm thinking about upgrading it is because I'm about to use AutoCad. I have no experience of it, so what do you guys think? Will some RAM make AutoCad work smoother, or the CPU is just too slow?

Also, some solid advices there guys! I'll look into some of them.
Quote by MetalMullet
Actually, one of the reasons I'm thinking about upgrading it is because I'm about to use AutoCad. I have no experience of it, so what do you guys think? Will some RAM make AutoCad work smoother, or the CPU is just too slow?

Also, some solid advices there guys! I'll look into some of them.

autocad will run fine

but just try it
Quote by JackalUK
Which version of AutoCAD?

I have no idea, but I will need it after summer. I'm suppose to draw electric wires and stuff. I don't know if you need a special verision of Cad for that.

I've seen my mate using AutoCad on his PC with an i5 CPU and it was hella slow. So I'm a bit nervous whether my Mac will handle it or not.
Last edited by MetalMullet at Jul 30, 2014,
Get the Autocad VER and check min requirements. Make sure you have 2X min ram.

Unless you are a neckbeard gamer, PCs suck so clean her out, update your OS, and add some ram. SSD is still beta quality.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 30, 2014,
SSDs are bitching, quit your noise...

Acad, like anything else can get bogged down by poor drawing management and large files. Especially 3D content. I've had it running on proper pieces of crap in the past.
ssd are def legit atm. just don't cheap out and get a shifty brand.

my samsung ssd is great and super fast, and i don't have to worry about potential disk errors every time I bump my laptop and tells you straight up how much life it has rather than the dubious 'hope it doesn't drop dead randomly after a few years' & 'is that too may start/stop counts??' approach of hdd. I've had plenty of old and apparently health HDDs just one day decide to degrade out of the blue, even ones I hadn't used heavily. and if you are editing in this day and age and resolution you can't be waiting for some slow ass hdd to write shit.

had it as my boot for 2 years now I think and is only at like 3% wear.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
ssd are def legit atm. just don't cheap out and get a shifty brand.

my samsung ssd is great and super fast, and i don't have to worry about potential disk errors every time I bump my laptop and tells you straight up how much life it has rather than the dubious 'hope it doesn't drop dead randomly after a few years' & 'is that too may start/stop counts??' approach of hdd. I've had plenty of old and apparently health HDDs just one day decide to degrade out of the blue, even ones I hadn't used heavily. and if you are editing in this day and age and resolution you can't be waiting for some slow ass hdd to write shit.

had it as my boot for 2 years now I think and is only at like 3% wear.

They are very fast and work great until they don't. We had a few at work that went dark with no warning at less than 6 mos old so I am still wary.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
SSD people in the house! Yeah, represent etc.

Now that I've got that out of the way... I can't remember what point I was going to make, but it was probably that you just need to clear off some crap, back what you need up, and do a fresh install etc. before you consider having a RAM upgrade done. More to the point, with Macbooks (especially if it's a modern uni-body) doesn't it void the warranty if they're taken apart and modified?

I mean, I'm pretty sure the only thing I was really allowed to do to my '12 Mac Mini was RAM upgrade, other than the stuff Apple offer themselves.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
SSD will definitely be the most substantial upgrade. There is a conversion kit for the MacBook Pro so that you can swap out either the HDD bay or the optical disk bay with a cage to fit the SSD. I recommend replacing the optical bay because it's useless by today's standards.

4GB of memory is actually sufficient for most use and but sure, you can upgrade that as well. But it will not be nearly as noticeable as an SSD upgrade.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Hehe, I like the consistency in this thread. I knew there wouldn't be any consensus regarding this issue.

Now that I've got that out of the way... I can't remember what point I was going to make, but it was probably that you just need to clear off some crap, back what you need up, and do a fresh install etc. before you consider having a RAM upgrade done. More to the point, with Macbooks (especially if it's a modern uni-body) doesn't it void the warranty if they're taken apart and modified?

I mean, I'm pretty sure the only thing I was really allowed to do to my '12 Mac Mini was RAM upgrade, other than the stuff Apple offer themselves.

I'll definitely put a clean, new and updated OS in the machine. Thanks! When it comes to the warranty, I bought this MacBook 4 years ago I don't think it's much of an issue. I doubt that Apple is that generous with their warranties.

And as somebody mentioned to have at least twice the amount of RAM Autocad requires, that'd be 6GB (min. 3Gb on OSX). So 8 GB of total RAM wouldn't be "too much" I guess.