Cant believe this doesnt exist already.

The Pod seems pretty well received on here so thought it might be nice to share some settings/tips/tones etc amongst users as well as have a good starting point for new users.

I have just bought a Pod HD Desktop so I personally would love a few bits of advice about getting good tones out of it

GO!
I have POD Farm, which is basically like a POD X3 in software form. It's ok, but I like the HD a lot better. I really think Line 6 has the floorboard modeling thing cornered, at least in terms of price range.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
check the L6 forum and they have one dedicated to sharing settings

I have an old POD XT and even though it is 10 yrs old technology you can still edit amps/FX pretty well. I'd love to get the POD HD to check out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Loving my HD500. It's slowly becoming less of a big part of my rig, but I will still keep it for delay, tremolo and volume in the FX loop, and as an overall backup to my whole rig.

Love to see this become a real thing. The POD thread is one of the longest running on SSO.

As far as the HD series, my favorite combo of rid is a Bomber head, Brit cab, SM57 mic and throw a Screamer in front of the whole thing as a clean boost. I get some awesome tones out of that halfway between a rodded JCM800 and something a little more proggy like a Mk 5.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Ive only really just got mine so im still experimenting. I did however read somewhere that instead of using dirt box simulations to boost your amp sim, use the comps instead. This has worked wonders so far for me. I find the dirt boxes to be a little thin and raspy but by boosting the on board amps with one of the Tube Comp it brings a lovely thick, warm overdrive into the mix.

Most pleasing.

Has there been an update. I downloaded the pilots handbook detailing what amps the models are based on and in the book there is a Soldano amp that doesnt seem to be on my Pod. Do i need to plug it into my computer?
There is an official DSP thread somewhere in here. It sorta died haha. You guys should revive it. I was a big part of it. I have owned a pod bean, an xtlive with all the model packs, and an hd500. I've sold them all, but I may stop by the thread from time to time.

Here's some of my patches I uploaded http://line6.com/customtone/profile/ibanezguitars44/
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by LivinJoke84
Ive only really just got mine so im still experimenting. I did however read somewhere that instead of using dirt box simulations to boost your amp sim, use the comps instead. This has worked wonders so far for me. I find the dirt boxes to be a little thin and raspy but by boosting the on board amps with one of the Tube Comp it brings a lovely thick, warm overdrive into the mix.

Most pleasing.

Has there been an update. I downloaded the pilots handbook detailing what amps the models are based on and in the book there is a Soldano amp that doesnt seem to be on my Pod. Do i need to plug it into my computer?

There has been an update. Plug it in with USB and get the line 6 monkey software

Also, I pretty much only used the tubescreamer for boosting. I actually had good results with using two of them. Set each pretty low and it has a cool sound. I did that frequently running into a low gain recto model into the dr. Z cab. Loved that sound.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Had a POD HD Desktop. It was alright, but all the high gain sounds had a fizz to them that was impossible to dial out. When I bypassed the internal cab and went to one loaded up in my DAW, the fizz was gone, so I think they skimped on capturing good impulses. I just prefer the Eleven Rack.

My buddy & other guitar player in my band gets solid tones out of his, much better than anything I could get. For some reason the 2x12 PHD Ported is getting really good metal tones for him. That paired with the ENGL Fireball with A LOT of EQing afterwards is his tone IIRC.

This site is an incredibly useful resource for learning the ins and outs of the POD HD: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
Had a POD HD Desktop. It was alright, but all the high gain sounds had a fizz to them that was impossible to dial out. When I bypassed the internal cab and went to one loaded up in my DAW, the fizz was gone, so I think they skimped on capturing good impulses. I just prefer the Eleven Rack.

This site is an incredibly useful resource for learning the ins and outs of the POD HD: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

I'm going to second Meambobbo's resource (you can download the whole thing as a .pdf file and toss it on your iPad if you prefer).

I think perhaps the weakest link in the Pod may be the cabinets, but most of what it takes is some time dialing the problem areas out. There is another Pod add-on option which costs more than the Pod itself, but that, when coupled with the Pod, seems to rival just about anything out there (this is coming from an Axe-FX Ultra owner). The Torpedo C.A.B. is a scaled-down foot pedal version of the same maker's rack version, and supplies IR cabinets that really make the Pod sing. In addition, it makes power amp models available (EL34, 6L6, EL84, etc.) and those additions to the Pod's preamp options make for a combination that's pretty stellar.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Goddamn! Thats good

If you're a clean jazz player, however, you'll want to chase down Jim Soloway's settings (freely available).
That torpedo CAB was amazing. Thanks for sharing I had never heard of it till then.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
The CabClone is made for taking a load from an amp. It's also ridiculous that they're marketing it as this revolutionary thing when Palmer loadboxes have done this stuff for yeeeeeeeeeeears.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
A amp modeler honestly should have an impulse loader.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline