Well hello there, GG&A

I've been a bit inactive on UG lately, but needed to pop in and ask a quick question.

I recently found an awesome old 2x12 SS amp in a second hand/pawn shop for £30, called a Londoner L100A - loud as you like, and would suit me perfectly for a drum/bass project that I'm setting up, along the lines of DFA1979, Royal Blood, Clatter etc.

It's an old multi use amp, with 2 inputs per side (bright and normal), with one side designed for lead/rhythm guitar (with reverb and a contour knob, voiced for a higher frequency)and one for bass/keyboard (standard low/high knobs, but overall voiced for a lower sound), so 4 inputs.

My question is, could I theoretically...

- get a splitter box and split my signal from my P bass into both sides, simultaneously?

then...

- run a bass big muff into the bass side and set the channel for low, rumbly fuzz

- run an guitar OD pedal (and possibly an octave pedal) into the guitar side, and voice for a lead guitar tone.

Effectively, bi-amping my bass.

It seems that the inputs were designed to be used at the same time (to support a small band, rehearsing), but I'd like to have a better idea about this kind of thing, before I go out and buy a splitter etc.

Cheers chaps!

EDIT: Here is a picture (not mine, but the same amp) to give you an idea.

Last edited by Stud_Muffin at Jul 30, 2014,
Yes and no.

Yes because you could do everything you plan to, and it would work.
No because bi-amping is another thing

"Bi-amping and Tri-amping is the practice of using two or three audio amplifier channels to power a loudspeaker with multiple drivers.", and there you have a loudspeaker with two drivers, but you only have one amp channel.

More than one preamps, but still one power amp.

Or at least that's what I would think considering it only has one master volume and bi-amped guitar amps are pretty damn rare - I can only think of the JC-120 and the VH4S.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Stud_Muffin

My question is, could I theoretically...

- get a splitter box and split my signal from my P bass into both sides, simultaneously?

then...

- run a bass big muff into the bass side and set the channel for low, rumbly fuzz

- run an guitar OD pedal (and possibly an octave pedal) into the guitar side, and voice for a lead guitar tone.

Effectively, bi-amping my bass.

you can run you bass into the amp that way. i am unsure if it'd sound like a guitar though. it'd sound interesting either way.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Depends on the circuitry. Some amps it works, some amps it doesn't. I don't know that amp. If you can find me a schematic I'll tell you, otherwise it's just
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Right - no clips, but I tried it and it sorta works.

I bought a bass Big Muff Pi (sounds great), which has an effect out and dry out. I plugged the dry output into the bass side and sent the effect out, via my EQ pedal, into the guitar side.

Using the dry mix setting of the pedal, and turning the volume of the guitar side all the way down and the bass side all the way up, I managed to dial in a decent sounding bass tone - nice and thick, with a decent punch.

I then used the guitar side volume knob as a blend, and gradually turned it up, until the overdriven sound came through, then I EQed it and got a nice mix.

It sounded OK, and worked physically, but I prefer the sound of either pure clean, slight dirt or fuzz - not too fond of a mix of clean and fuzz, as it turns out.

What may be an option is gritting up my clean tone, and seeing how that blends with the fuzzed up tone.

Just thought you may be interested in how it went.