Ive just ordered a new Marshall DSL100H to go with my homebuild 412 cab I made a couple of years ago. Im looking for advice on using attenuators on such a big amp. I know that they are for using the amp in its 'operating range' for best sound while playing at sensible (to others) volumes by pushing the tubes hard etc. Is there a right way or wrong way to hook them up, is there any ones out there which are good bang for the dollar, ie cheap and effective without being inferior quality... Lastly, do I even need one of these on this amp? I also know that some Marshalls have the ability to push the pre amp hard and still sounding great at quietish levels using the master volume. PS I'm not worried about pissing the neighbour off because she is a dead set C unt, I just don't need the suburb knowing I have a kick arse rig and becoming a target for thievery.
The process for getting new gear, if ya ask me, should be the following:
1. you don't know anything about it
2. you hear about it about it
3. you know how it works
4. you think how you could use the thing in your setup
5. you suffer because not having the thing in your setup is limiting you
6. you get the thing and you start using it right away, with great benefit to whatever you're doing

My impression is that you don't need an attenuator.
Attenuators are used to reduce the signal from the amp to the speakers so you can turn up the amp's volume and get power tube distortion, and you don't look like you're looking for that in particular, nor you look like you will definitely like it when you'll hear it.

Then, if you get the amp and decide you like the sound better at higher volumes, have somebody lending you an attenuator, 'cause maybe what you like better is the amp's sound or maybe it's the higher volume - speakers move more air at higher volumes so they sound fuller, that's one of the reasons people say some amps sound better at higher volumes.
According to that logic everything sounds better at higher volumes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
use the master volume and you'll be fine. Like Spambot said, attenuators are made so you can get power tube distortion at low volumes and the DSL100 gets its gain from the preamp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can run a DSL on two tubes too which will drop it down to 50W. Just turn the impedance switch down one notch after you do it.
Unless you're really cranking it to window rattling, **** me I've killed the cat levels, it won't make much difference anyway. Just chill, dial in a sound with the gain knob and enjoy it.

What speakers are you going to run?

Does the DSL have the pentode/triode switch Rob?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 30, 2014,
Cathbard its switchable to run at 50w and have already considered that. The last amp head I had was a 25/50w epiphone socal and that needed to be wound up pretty loud to get a decent noise from it.
My cab will end up with a set of celestion greenbacks but at the moment it just has shitty old 30 year old 12 inch house speakers to fill the holes. The amp is three weeks away so by then I should have found some nice speakers.
OK, so it does have the pentode/triode switch. So if you flick that switch AND pull two tubes it will drop it down to about 25W.

Edit: IIRC, those don't have an impedance switch per se, do they? Separate jacks, no? So use the output jack that is half of the actual impedance of the cab if you pull two tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 30, 2014,
I have the JCM DSL100 and I use Eminence V12's mostly, but I also have a cab with Celestion G12h30 and a cab with a Eminence GB128 (greenback type) and the V12 and G12h30 fit the amp better.
Here is the WGS Reaper HP which is a 50watt G12h30 and it ships to Australia
www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/warehouse-guitar-speakers-reaper-hp-12-50w-british-invasion-guitar-speaker/j01890004002000?condition=used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You're in Australia? Buy these:

http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/category/replacement-guitar-speakers/offset8/

They're a boutique greenback clone made in the old Plessy (formerly Rola/Celestion) plant in Port Melbourne. They use the old Celestion molds with some tricky CSIRO developed paper that includes hemp.
The 30W ones are the best (on the previous page on that link ^). They are an accurate recreation of the original greenback, moreso than the ones Celestion now make themselves, but the higher power ones are damn good too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification