After playing 2 years of guitar i have learnt major and minor chords, some sus chords, some 7th chords, but the thing do i really need to know interval?. i need to know more where should i start??
Last edited by Iwalkalone11 at Jul 30, 2014,
Yes you need to know intervals, they will help you learn any chord possible.

I would recommend looking up chord construction, how chords are made. Because in doing so, you don´t have to remember chords as shapes anymore, and can learn them as intervals which allows you to play (lets say E minor) all over the neck with only knowing which intervals makes up a minor chord, rather than memorizing a hand full of shapes over the neck.

I am sure there are lessons on this in the lessons section here on UG, otherwise i would recommend the site MusicTheory.net.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Yes you need to know intervals, they will help you learn any chord possible.

I would recommend looking up chord construction, how chords are made. Because in doing so, you don´t have to remember chords as shapes anymore, and can learn them as intervals which allows you to play (lets say E minor) all over the neck with only knowing which intervals makes up a minor chord, rather than memorizing a hand full of shapes over the neck.

I am sure there are lessons on this in the lessons section here on UG, otherwise i would recommend the site MusicTheory.net.

thanks sickz
Quote by triface
ZeGuitarist has a lesson on chord construction. It's pretty good with lots of examples.

Thkd triface, that lesson really helped me alot. you rock! \m/
Here is a video, over an hr long, that will teach you why chords are made, how chords are made and how to write your own music. (Music Theory as it applies to Guitar) NOW.......

Some people do not like this guy, I for one find him EXTREMELY helpful. He babbles a bit, but who cares, he know how to teach and is easy to follow. I just bought all his videos on his website (~49.00) and they are work it. Anywho, here is his video .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjWi-DPNL7k