Hey guys, so I have an out of state move coming up in the next 6 months or so and I was wondering if anyone here has been through something similar and can give your take on it. Like the pros and cons of hiring professional vs amateur movers vs self moving (renting a PODS container or Uhaul, etc.). I've never done anything like this before so I'm trying to do research to figure out which option is best and most cost effective in the short and long run.

Thanks.
How much shit are you moving?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by TheChaz
Movers? Are you a senior citizen?

Isn't that normal practise? Are you one of those people that does all that work to save a few quid?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Call a full service moving company, see them in your old place, drink beer while they pack and load, once loaded (you and the truck) get a taxi to the airport, fly to new location, get a hotel for a few days, meet truck at new location, watch them unload/unpack. Pay them.

Easy.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Melting is a great way to change to a different state.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Isn't that normal practise? Are you one of those people that does all that work to save a few quid?

Lazy Brits.
Quote by Neo Evil11

Normal practice for old people and lazy people.
Quote by TheChaz
Normal practice for old people and lazy people.

lol. I don't have the truck that is needed to transport couches and closets to a new home. Along with that truck you get people that are qualified to operate it as well as people who are willing to carry all your heavy stuff. I think you are an idiot for doing it yourself. Or maybe you are just poor and don't have any stuff to transport to a new home...

silly defence mechanisms to call other's old and lazy for stuff that you know you should be paying others to do. I also don't bake my own bread and don't milk my own cows. Oh the laziness.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jul 30, 2014,
It depends on your resources: how many do you have to transport, how much of it will fit in your vehicle, and how much of it are you willing to spend ?
How far out of state and what are you moving?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by JustRooster
Lazy Brits.

But Neo is Dutch.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Neo Evil11
lol. I don't have the truck that is needed to transport couches and closets to a new home. Along with that truck you get people that are qualified to operate it as well as people who are willing to carry all your heavy stuff. I think you are an idiot for doing it yourself. Or maybe you are just poor and don't have any stuff to transport to a new home...

silly defence mechanisms to call other's old and lazy for stuff that you know you should be paying others to do. I also don't bake my own bread and don't milk my own cows. Oh the laziness.

That's why you rent the truck you turd.
Quote by TheChaz
That's why you rent the truck you turd.

Getting movers also tends to mean they supply boxes(plus those fancy-ass ones with rails for moving the missus' clothes), and a couple of guys to humph it about who are insured if they drop your telly down the stairs.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
who are insured if when they drop your telly down the stairs.

Because it, or something similar, WILL happen...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Besides, I helped my brother move into his first flat. 2nd floor(that's proper, British 2nd floor), and no lift.

Screw doing that again.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
i see why you would get movers, id probably do it myself if i didnt have too much crap to move
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by theogonia777
Melting is a great way to change to a different state.

I myself prefer sublimation, but to each their own!
Best? Hire people to do it.
Most cost efficient? Do it yourself, or have your friends help you.

Perhaps you could pay your friends to do it? It'd probably be less to pay them than professionals, and they might even take better care of your property. Since you're moving to a different state, I doubt either would be an easy task, especially the latter. If I had to do make a list of most taxing common physical tasks, moving might be on top. There are very few people on the world I would help with moving, and I doubt I'd do it for free.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 30, 2014,
Unless you're moving literally from one side of the country to another, DO NOT HIRE MOVERS. Even if you get them from some big company, they will damage your shit just as much as you and your buddies, and they're getting paid to do so.
I moved from NY to SC and now to WY. The first move was with the folks so we rented a truck, loaded it up, and drove it down. This recent move it was just my stuff and I loaded it into my car and just drove it.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
id help someone move, just buy me beer afterwards
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Moving companies in the US have a long history of price-gouging and thievery so I tend to move myself. Two weeks prior, begin to box and label everything> rent a big ass truck> load the truck> drive to new location> unload truck> return truck to local rental yard.

It really just depends on how much stuff you have, how much energy you have and how much $$ you have. I have a lot of stuff and movers would charge around $4k for an interstate move.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
WOW...I did NOT expect all of these comments lol you all are hilarious. Okay first off....no I'm not a senior citizen (didn't know I had to be to hire or think about hiring movers...). We have 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage and attic full...I'm moving from TX to CA and @Arby911 that just sounds like a lot of spending. All the sarcastic comments lol but not helping...I talked to a friend who told me to check out Moving Guru so I'll probably just do that and compare some places from there to if I were to rent a PODS container or UHAUL...thanks everyone
Last edited by Alease Garnett at Jul 31, 2014,