Hello,
today a friend of mine tried my new Marshall JVM 410h with his EMG 81 85 loaded guitar and I noticed the distortion was way smoother and overall better then with my passive pickup, which has relatively low output and that is the reason in my opinion. The sound was overall more distorted and I think it is because he hhad way more output then I did. So my question is: is there any high output passive pickup that does match that (or almost) but still sound like a passive?
Thanks
There are high output passive pickups. It's another story to compare how they sound side to active pickups because there are so many models. Just try some!
try using a boost (or overdrive pedal set up as a boost) pedal. if you aren't already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^boost is a good idea.

As for pickups, Seymour Duncan is a good, reliable brand that makes some high output pickups. You can try finding some cool models among their catalogue.
I tought about the boost but there is a problem: unless I buy a looper I can't switch the channel and switch of the boost at the same time. Buying the looper and the the pedal costs about 250€, the pickup costs about 70 - 100€...
Quote by Jayerrr
I tought about the boost but there is a problem: unless I buy a looper I can't switch the channel and switch of the boost at the same time. Buying the looper and the the pedal costs about 250€, the pickup costs about 70 - 100€...

You just have to make sure you place the boost and channel switch next to each other and stomp them both at the same time.
Last edited by mcamp12302 at Jul 30, 2014,
The main thing with EMGs, especially the 81 and 85, is that they have a more compressed signal than passives. And yes, they are higher output. An OD will give you the compression. Some high output pickups will help boost the overall signal coming out the the guitar, but won't help with compression, and you sacrifice a bit of clarity. Best pickups I have tried for output/clarity balance are Lace Sensors. I love my Dissonant Aggressor set but you may want to check their other sets. They pride themselves on being comparable to EMGs with output and clarity but "with no f*cking batteries".
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I really don't like the fact that emg are compressed therefore I usually choose passives. what do you think of the SD invaders?
Quote by Jayerrr
I really don't like the fact that emg are compressed therefore I usually choose passives. what do you think of the SD invaders?

Mixed reviews. They are very high output, but they are pretty harsh in the mids and have ceramic magnets which can also be a bit ice-picky in the highs. Really kind of geared for the metalcore crowd.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Jayerrr

ah ok

Quote by Jayerrr

high output passives are normally pretty compressed, too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want passive with stupidly high output Dimarzio X2N. Not the most articulate pickup but its really hot and a Death Metal classic. Seymour Duncan Black Winter might be sonically better choice though, I am not sure. To my knowledge Black Winter is like SD Distortion but on steroids.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
If you want passive with stupidly high output Dimarzio X2N. Not the most articulate pickup but its really hot and a Death Metal classic. Seymour Duncan Black Winter might be sonically better choice though, I am not sure. To my knowledge Black Winter is like SD Distortion but on steroids.

I've heard that the black winter was meant to be the perfect black metal pickup, but I might just remember it wrong. Not that there's anything wrong with that, black metal is awesome.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I've heard that the black winter was meant to be the perfect black metal pickup, but I might just remember it wrong. Not that there's anything wrong with that, black metal is awesome.

Thats just marketing. But I do admit the new SD logo looks pretty KVLT.
http://www.gearhounds.com/productimages/seymour_duncan/black-winter-bridge-xlg.jpg

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Grawgos
Lace drop and gain

+1
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Jayerrr
I play classic heavy metal

Irrelevant. Its up to you what you want from the pickups, not the genre you play. Though I do admit if you would play smooth and clean jazz picking up really hot pickups that easily overdrive an amp would seem wierd choice but you get the idea.

X2N for example is called a classic death metal pickup because Chuck Schuldiner used them 'till he died and people remember it easily, BUT they were also used Eddie Clarke from Motörhead at some point.

So if you want hot I still recommend X2N because I am most familiar with them. Alternatively ToneZone, which I also have, is also quite hot. Not as hot as X2N but still really hot and warmer sounding than X2N if that is more to your liking.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I think you might wanna have a look at the Nazgul as they come in 6 strings now. I have a Distortion in my 6 and a nazgul in my 7, both of which are pretty crushing without an OD on the JVM.

and also you can get some pretty decent clean tones with an OD in front of the JVM. The green on the clean is so clear that you would have to have it pretty high to start clipping heavily.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Jul 31, 2014,
6 string Nazgul pickup is out? Thanks for the news. I've been itching to try one but i had other plans for my 7 string.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
yeah its kinda annoyed me. cos they were branded as 7 & 8 string only pups. but now any old mug can use them

i havent tried the 6 yet but the 7 is great. clear, punchy and teh br00tz! its a bit darker than the Distortion and a lot more punchy than the JB. Full of articulation but still pushes the tubes hard.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2