So someone from my local shop claims that MF sells their gear for better prices because they are all factory seconds and basically scratch and dent items.

I figured they offered better prices because they bought in bulk compared to a small local shop....

Has anyone else ever heard this or is the lady trying to bullshit me?
Quote by Smigzy
So someone from my local shop claims that MF sells their gear for better prices because they are all factory seconds and basically scratch and dent items.

I figured they offered better prices because they bought in bulk compared to a small local shop....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/used-musical-instruments

yup, it has the used and scratch and dent sections together. it's under the "used gear" department
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ yeah they do, but not all of their gear is, only the used/B-stock is. They also clearly state if it is used. Sounds like your local shop can't compete with their prices and is trying to sway you to buy from them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Smigzy

That's a load of shit. They often offer that option at a discount price, but not all of their gear is that way.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
He's trying to justify his higher prices by spouting a whole load of bs. Tell him to **** off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Some local shops are like that. Had a guy try to sell me a guitar for $200 more than what Musicians Friend and Sweetwater had it for. I got him to price match, but it's like they expect you to be an idiot.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by TremontiAddict
Some local shops are like that. Had a guy try to sell me a guitar for $200 more than what Musicians Friend and Sweetwater had it for. I got him to price match, but it's like they expect you to be an idiot.

its really not easy to keep/get mom and pop competitive to the big box. thats why so many are closing.

too with MF free shipping on anything. i ordered one item. just a bag of picks. just a few dollars i don't need to go anywhere, don't use gas (keep in mind my car gets 10-12mpg), and it comes in two or three days. right on my screened in porch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its really not easy to keep/get mom and pop competitive to the big box. thats why so many are closing.

too with MF free shipping on anything. i ordered one item. just a bag of picks. just a few dollars i don't need to go anywhere, don't use gas (keep in mind my car gets 10-12mpg), and it comes in two or three days. right on my screened in porch.

Good point, the one big store close to me is a mom/pop shop, but they have cut their prices to compete with online. The actual price they ask is less than online, but after tax it is the same price.

Another good point about the gas savings, that shop is 20-25 miles from my house which means $10+ just in gas. I do shop there, but not nearly as much as I did 10 yrs ago since I started using the web.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Good point, the one big store close to me is a mom/pop shop, but they have cut their prices to compete with online. The actual price they ask is less than online, but after tax it is the same price.

Another good point about the gas savings, that shop is 20-25 miles from my house which means $10+ just in gas. I do shop there, but not nearly as much as I did 10 yrs ago since I started using the web.

But then we all wonder why we can't try gear out locally. I buy locally and online, but if the price is similar I always buy locally because I want those folks to keep their doors open. We've lost 2 local shops in the past few years.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
But then we all wonder why we can't try gear out locally. I buy locally and online, but if the price is similar I always buy locally because I want those folks to keep their doors open. We've lost 2 local shops in the past few years.

I agree, but when your looking at prices

I bought my PRS and probably $5000 of other gear from them over the years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's part of the reason I did buy my guitar at the local shop. I wanted to support them, but I'm not giving them $200 extra just for support. I try to buy from them though because they're the only dealer remotely close (still 45 minutes away) that stocks Mesa, Peavey, PRS, Gibson etc. Most stores around here just have Fender and Line 6 with some Squire Strats and off brand Les Pauls.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by Arby911

+1. i have four close shops. only one is a real 'shop' though. they buy/sell used things and i am not sure if they are a dealer for anything. the tech has a solid rep, from guitar to brass. but they have just shitty stuff. really shitty PA's, old bass amps (not the desirable ones). and maybe a dozen guitars. they have some pedals, not at a bad price either.

the others sell pure shit and are what i call "lessons emporium's' they have between 6-8 rooms and get $30 for a half hour lesson and i (may not be as good of a teacher) can play better than most of their teacher (not saying i am God), but its bullshit. its from the area where i live stay at home moms and obnoxious kids.

i was seeing a guy out of his studio and he is my teacher, dumps a shitload of stuff for me to learn and expects it impeccable what i play it for him, once a month.

back to the topic i don't think mom and pop stores will exist ten years from now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/