I am looking to get a bigger amp because I will be gigging with my band soon. My current amp is a 50 watt combo and it really lacks the headroom to play with a drummer. I have played a couple Orange half stacks. I am just wondering if the smaller heads like the dark terror and dual terror etc are loud enough for larger gigs? Also if one like the TH30 combo raised up on an amp stand would suffice. It can be tough to know what the amp will sound like when it is cranked up more.

OR

Maybe the new solid state Crush Pro line, head and cab any thoughts?

Thanks
Raconteurs Fan Guy
The Tiny Terror is just enough to run with a drummer at gigs. 15W tube or 75w SS is the minimum I think.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If 50 watts isn't enough headroom, a TH30 would be the opposite of what you want. Go for a TH100, this seems to be in your price range. It's only a few hundred dollars more, and it'll give you 100 watts so you never have to worry about headroom, and gives you the option to turn down the wattage when you don't need it.
I use a dual terror 30w with a PPC 2X12 and it works perfectly with a drummer, more than enough power. I would definitely recommend it.
The 15 watt terror series is not enough to gig with IMO. I say that because of the model your looking at (TH30) is geared twards heavier music. It should keep up fine, as long as your band doesn't all try to be the lead "insert instrument here" of the band and be on 11.

Have you tried tilting your combo up a little? You can get an amp stand
Putting it on a chair?
You can get a 1x12 (or what ever size cab) and run your combo as a small stack style rig. I use a 20 watt head and a 2x12 cab for band practices and it works fine (I play in a prog-rock/metal band) and we are not what you'd call quiet, but we do know how to control our volumes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just saw a video of Rob Chappers doing a gig setting with a Micro Terror.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

Maybe the new solid state Crush Pro line, head and cab any thoughts?

Thanks

Orange solid states are considered bad by most people, i don't really know anyone who likes the Crush line.
I actually quite like the newer Crush models. They perform rather well in my opinion.

That said, I have a TH30 that gets over any drummer I've ever met just fine, through a V30 loaded 212 cabinet.
Wait, you have a Valveking 1x12 and you can't keep up with a drummer?

There's another problem here, that amp should be plenty loud to keep up.

However that amp can seriously benefit from a speaker change, and if you get the right one you'll see a significant jump in volume as well, as the stock speaker has an efficiency of 97db and many of the replacements are 100db or better. (+3db speaker efficiency is the same as doubling the wattage...)

Go with one of these, you won't believe it's the same amp.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Man_O_War
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 31, 2014,
Yeah I talked to the amp guy at my local shop and he said that he thought I probably needed a bigger amp because I am playing metal. I went there to get the speaker replaced and he told me not to. But yeah our drummer is really loud and we play at a volume where we all wear ear muffs anyway so it is pretty damn loud. lol
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Yeah I talked to the amp guy at my local shop and he said that he thought I probably needed a bigger amp because I am playing metal. I went there to get the speaker replaced and he told me not to. But yeah our drummer is really loud and we play at a volume where we all wear ear muffs anyway so it is pretty damn loud. lol

I thought that it was completely normal to wear earmuffs? I have to wear a pair if I crank my peavey over 9 o'clock.

And I have a weird feeling that the local amp guy was full of shit. A Valveking is a pretty big amp to be honest, and it's plenty loud.
True, I will probably throw a new speaker in soon. Could I line out the amp into some type of monitor or other speaker?
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
True, I will probably throw a new speaker in soon. Could I line out the amp into some type of monitor or other speaker?

I can't remember if the VK has an extra speaker output, but if it has then sure, you can buy an extension cab.

As for a monitor, if you mic it up you can play it through a PA system, including monitors and speakers.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

There are a lot of things you could do but the point is that you shouldn't have to. A new, higher efficiency speaker is a sub $100 fix that I'm betting will solve your problem.

You don't need higher wattage, because it's not going to translate into significantly more volume unless you hook up to a better speaker(s).

All things being equal, a 120w amp is 3db "louder" than a 60w amp, which is LESS of an increase than you will get by changing your speaker as suggested.

If you really need more "loud" go with a 2x12 cab with the Eminence Man-O-War's. If 60w through a 2x12 with high efficiency speakers won't get over your drummer, well....I'll believe it when I see it since it's ~122db. For comparison a LOUD drummer is around 105-107.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin