Poll: Do you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you?
Always.
14 22%
Only when I got things with more than a couple knobs and buttons.
36 57%
Never.
13 21%
Voters: 63.
It struck me looking around here and on gearslutz how many people buy stuff, lotsa times expensive stuff, and they have the most ridiculous problems because they don't have a look at instruction manuals.

So pit, do you read instructions when you buy stuff?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I skim over them, fire it up....wonder what the fck is wrong, go back to the manual and skim it again, repeat until it works right.

I do like keeping a new manual near the toilet though, only time I'll read them in detail
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 31, 2014,
I only read the manual if I have a problem.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Is it a product I'm familiar with? If so, I either skim the instructions or ignore them. I know how most electronic devices (tv, computer, phone, video game console, etc) work, so the instructions are kind of pointless unless I come across something wildly different from what I've experienced previously.

If it's something I have to assemble I'll look at the instructions (such as furniture of some sort), because I don't want whatever it is to fall apart when I start using it.

Same thing applies to a new (to me) car. Yeah, it drives the same as other cars. But many of the other features aren't going to be the same as other cars I've driven, and the service info will likely be different.
I always read the instructions. I dont always follow them, but i read them
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
instruction manuals are bathroom reading material

most of us go at least once a day, so chances are good that you'll have read the manual for your new purchase in a timely manner
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jul 31, 2014,
no because i know how stuff works before i buy it
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Mostly only for the precious, precious Engrish contained within.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by captainsnazz
things come with instructions?

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
It depends on the project at hand.

Usually not because I'm not a child, elderly, or otherwise incompetent.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Like was said, it depends. Although when I get a new car I read the thing from cover to cover. It's a good way to find out stuff I otherwise would never have known about the car. Also, agree on stuff like TV's, laptop, etc not needing to read it. Although a new phone I'll check out the manual on because sometimes they have some shortcuts that make life a lot easier that I otherwise would not have stumbled upon through fiddling
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Sometimes, it's just fun to make up your own instructions... as long as there's not much riding on whatever you need to make
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Shakespeare - Macbeth
I'll eventually read instructions at some point during the product's life. I see a lot of people don't seem to read TV manuals. I guarantee most of those people don't get the most out of their television as they won't know how to calibrate their television properly.
Yeah. Because i came from a time when video games wouldn't make any sense if you didn't and tutorials are for weinies.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
No, I just turn whatever it is on and see what happens. If it doesn't work or do as it should, I can likely figure it out myself within a minute since technology is pretty much idiot proof these days.

I can't even remember the last time I read instructions but the only time I would use them is if the thing really won't do what I want it to.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
God damn right I do. I put together a vanity set and a futon yesterday and without the instructions in the box i'd be ****ed.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Yeah I'm getting the vibe that most of the people here hasn't assembled anything worthwhile. If you're putting together a bed or an entertainment set, your gonna go want to know how its construct caus something valuable is resting on its durability.

Generally I glance through instructions, make an assessment whether its the best method and approach it my own way if its not. Which happens a bit. Last month when I was putting together a bed the last two steps were stupid you put the border around as the last step when everything else was in place, but the bed is low to the ground and theres not enough room to fit a drill or screwdriver underneath and you have to drill your own holes. And by that point the bed would be significantly heavy. So I reversed the steps and put those on the other boards before I attached them to the frame and it saved me a hell of a lot of trouble
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Usually I just start smacking parts with my rock hard erect penis until they fall into place
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
If I'm putting something together, then yes, I do. You generally save hours by actually reading directions -- isn't that amazing?!
Only idiots don't read instructions, like is every minute of your day spent doing something more important?

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
instruction manuals are bathroom reading material

most of us go at least once a day, so chances are good that you'll have read the manual for your new purchase in a timely manner

+1

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I got some pile cream and have never used such a thing before if I hadn't read the instructions I would've probably just shoved the whole tube up my butt without the applicator and squeezed the entire tube out.

I read instructions because there is usually one minor thing mentioned in them that will **** everything up if you just go on intuition and instinct.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'll eventually read instructions at some point during the product's life. I see a lot of people don't seem to read TV manuals. I guarantee most of those people don't get the most out of their television as they won't know how to calibrate their television properly.

Yeah hardly anyone calibrates and will just blissfully ignore the poor colour tone or audio eq coming out their tv.

When I get a new tv I get a headache as I have to decide between trying to calibrate to what I was used to with my old tv or calibrate to what works best with the new TV. Especially as I have it set for good gaming but not so optimised that I have to change settings when I want to watch some shows.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Wiegenlied
Yeah I'm getting the vibe that most of the people here hasn't assembled anything worthwhile.

I've recently completed a full house restoration with my family over the last 10 years. Houses that haven't been lived in for over 200 years typically don't come with instruction manuals.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 1, 2014,
I do to prevent something stupid from happening.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Any man who votes 'always' does not deserve to keep his testicles
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
usually for music stuff you can get by without it but only have to read the manual once in a while for a specific thing
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Pretty much never.
Partially because I hardly buy things that come with manuals to begin with.

Also relevant @ 3:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnplZjuefMY

Quote by jthm_guitarist
Only idiots don't read instructions
Thats a terrible, and quite frankly, dumb, assumption. Just read that comment about 9 posts above yours.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Aug 1, 2014,