Page 1 of 2
I know that these two are among the best high end acoustics out there. Im not really asking which is better, but what are the main differences . Which do you prefer?
Both firms make a wide variety of instruments to cover essentially all price points and types of playing. With Taylor, they have such a huge variety of options you could likely get whatever you wanted if you're willing to pay.....

In VERY general terms, Taylors are considered to be a more "modern" instrument.... Brighter sound, slicker necks.
Martin has it's trade with the traditional... The classic dreadnaught sound. Folks joke about pulling out Taylors at bluegrass festivals and being shunned....

It boils down to taste in the end. They both produce quality instruments that are equal to the very best available.
Quote by Fret Frier
I know that these two are among the best high end acoustics out there. Im not really asking which is better, but what are the main differences . Which do you prefer?

Well, I know that when I bought my Martin a year ago, it came down to Taylor and Martin for me. The Taylor seemed a little bit too twangy for me, the Martin just seemed warmer.
Quote by Captaincranky
Oooo, I love "versus" threads!

In fact, if I could, I'd join all over again to start a truly primal festival of rancor, a "Les Paul versus Stratocaster" thread.

In any case, I think we should stir Gibson, Seagull, and Takamine into this mix, to make certain absolutely nothing ever gets agreed upon......
Quote by Captaincranky
In fact, if I could, I'd join all over again to start a truly primal festival of rancor, a "Les Paul versus Stratocaster" thread.

In any case, I think we should stir Gibson, Seagull, and Takamine into this mix, to make certain absolutely nothing ever gets agreed upon......

Les Paul any day over Stratocaster, once again, the Stratocaster is too twangy for me. I own one, I've changed the pickups, put thicker strings in and still too twangy. The only thing that has helped with it is tuning down to drop D, but then my vocal range doesn't match some of my songs.
Quote by Captaincranky

Don't forget Zager!
having few of each lying around, I think Bikewer nailed it pretty well. the Martin's have that classic bass and warmth and the taylor's have the "newer" style clarity. I don't find the Taylor's too bright, they are when new but they quickly mellow a bit( those who've been on this forum know of my initial hatred of taylors characteristic brightness...that k10ce has really mellowed out guys !)
both have their place in my happy little collection. the martin's more "muddy" sound work well with a lot of classic stuff but that same muddiness doesn't work well with individual notes. that's where the Taylors really shine. note clarity is almost piano-like on them. but the larger bodied GS' can strum it up with any martin while still being able to handle fingerstyle or lead very well.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by NewDayHappy
Les Paul any day over Stratocaster, once again, the Stratocaster is too twangy for me. I own one, I've changed the pickups, put thicker strings in and still too twangy. The only thing that has helped with it is tuning down to drop D, but then my vocal range doesn't match some of my songs.

But, but, but, but......., "Slowhand" plays a Strat, and so does David Gilmore. Neither Eric or Dave, "twangs" very much, explain that!

Quote by rohash
Don't forget Zager!
Oh please. Couldn't we just wait for one of "Zager's Zombies", to lobby for them?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 31, 2014,
Quote by rohash
Don't forget Zager!

got one a 'Dem too.. nothing to write home about...unless you prefer tons of faux abalone and excess glue on the fret markers.
Quote by stepchildusmc
got one a 'Dem too.. nothing to write home about...unless you prefer tons of faux abalone and excess glue on the fret markers.
Ah yes glue! That reminds me of my feckless youth, and "Carl the huffer". The man never met a tube of Testor's he didn't like.
Quote by Fret Frier

I personally prefer Taylor, but I like both. Taylor is more of a consistent build. It is more machine fabricated, and I find has a sort of smoother tone. They have different sound, but I would say with Taylors you can more likely depend on a certain model sounding a certain way, and Martin you'll get a bit of variety in between.

They are both good. Maybe differently suited for different styles. But for me, when it comes to guitars, it's all about personal preference.

There is definitely a big general difference between Taylor and Martin though, but which one is better? Idk, they are both good and different, and it depends on the individual, and the music.
Y'all are aware that you're not even allowed to start a thread in the electric forum with, "versus", in the title, right? Too contentious, I think.
I like the bolt-on neck of Taylors, which means that long term maintenance (neck resets) should be inexpensive, just a couple of special shims and about 15 minutes work. OTOH, a neck reset on a Martin now costs about $700.

I'm not wild about the big open sound of Taylors, but OTOH, the majority of Martins I've tried have sounded pretty ordinary, individual guitars of the same model vary a lot in tone, and some have had low neck angles. Out of four Martins I've owned, three have had problems from manufacturing shortcomings, but there again so did the Baby Taylor.

It I was in that price bracket it would be:

Low end - Taylor 100 or 200 series, which I think are brilliant.

Middle - Maton or a very carefully chosen example of a Martin D-28, D-18 or 000-18

High end - Collings or Bourgeois, maybe SCGC.

Then there's the Gibson J-45 and Blues King (L-00) . In all cases

I would be looking at used rather then new, preferably fairly old.
Quote by Captaincranky
But, but, but, but......., "Slowhand" plays a Strat, and so does David Gilmore. Neither Eric or Dave, "twangs" very much, explain that!

Oh please. Couldn't we just wait for one of "Zager's Zombies", to lobby for them?

Fair enough, I just like the darker tones of a Les Paul better.
i don't prefer martin OR taylor. both brands make guitars i really like. i don't necessarily like them for the same music, but i REALLY like the taylor GC8 and 612e, not to mention the 114 and GS mini in the lower price ranges. and one of my all time favorite guitars is the martin 00-18 tim o-brien, but i also love the 000-28ecm. although for a little low end growl, you can't beat a gibson J45.

for more money, i find santa cruz guitars, goodall and huss and dalton make exceptional guitars throughout their lines, and there are other brands that make wonderful instruments in a variety of price ranges including eastman and lowden.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
So that's it for this thread? Moses Zager isn't going to ring in and lead us out of the guitar wilderness?
Quote by Bikewer
Folks joke about pulling out Taylors at bluegrass festivals and being shunned....

Ha, you thought that they were joking.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Ha, you thought that they were joking.

sniff....sniff.... I've lost 2 good friends due to taylorism in bluegrass.... mob mentality just takes over as soon as all those D-28's see a taylor case. coroner had to remove 16 Shubb's capos out of the butt of the last guy.... he not only brought a taylor but he had a G7th capo clipped to it..... oh the horror and tragedy ....
Stop me if you've heard this one. So a guy with a Taylor walks into a bluegrass bar...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Stop me if you've heard this one. So a guy with a Taylor walks into a bluegrass bar...
So the bartender picks up a Martin and starts banging it it right in the Taylor guy's ear. The guy with the Taylor says, "hey buddy, are you making fun of me? And the bartender says, (looking around the bar seeing every other person in the bar holding Martin guitars), "nah man, I was making fun of them"!

Quote by stepchildusmc
sniff....sniff.... I've lost 2 good friends due to taylorism in bluegrass.... mob mentality just takes over as soon as all those D-28's see a taylor case. coroner had to remove 16 Shubb's capos out of the butt of the last guy.... he not only brought a taylor but he had a G7th capo clipped to it..... oh the horror and tragedy ....
And you had to shoot your way up the Hudson in a birch bark canoe to retrieve the babbling husk that remained. Who's going to play you in the upcoming movie, "Taylorpocalypse Now"?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
And you had to shoot your way up the Hudson in a birch bark canoe to retrieve the babbling husk that remained.

He's just lucky that his buddy brought the non-cutaway, mahogany top Taylor, or there would not be anything remaining.
You Bluegrass people must be serious about your Martins... I have a Fender Mahogany. Hopefully I won't get beat up by one of you.
Quote by Fret Frier
You Bluegrass people must be serious about your Martins... I have a Fender Mahogany. Hopefully I won't get beat up by one of you.
I think the politically correct term is, "bluegrass aficionados". Not that any of them could spell it.

(Oh lighten up, I'm just kidding. I couldn't get "aficionados" spelled myself, without Firefox's spell checker).
I've always been a Taylor fan.

I love their brightness when compared with Martins. I've definitely noticed quality in both brands, but I'm a predominantly fingerstyle player, and Taylor fits me much better for that.

Martins are like... high quality strummers.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I've always been a Taylor fan.

I love their brightness when compared with Martins. I've definitely noticed quality in both brands, but I'm a predominantly fingerstyle player, and Taylor fits me much better for that.

Martins are like... high quality strummers.
Yeah well, I haven't heard a Martin that was a good as my Ibanez Talman".
you keep liking those taylors more and more Dreadnought.... that Edwinson will find it's way to NY yet !!! ;0 ;0
Quote by Captaincranky
Who's going to play you in the upcoming movie, "Taylorpocalypse Now"?

PeeWee herman hasn't been doing much lately...
Quote by stepchildusmc
PeeWee herman hasn't been doing much lately...

Now all we have to do, is find a director or stunt coordinator willing to yank PeeWee's hands out of his pants long enough to teach him how to carry a rifle.....er, not just polish the barrel.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by stepchildusmc
you keep liking those taylors more and more Dreadnought.... that Edwinson will find it's way to NY yet !!! ;0 ;0

Nooope.

Getting it adjust/setup by a local luthier soon.
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm a Taylor guy but when I was in a buying mode, I played a lot of Taylors and Martins that just sounded ... bad. It really depends on what you'll be doing with it as well. In 2000, I picked up a Taylor 514CE that I needed for gigging 3-4 times a week and it needed electronics. I chose that over a very sweet 1971 Martin Dread Mahogany that had such a nice woody tone, light feel, easy to play touch, tone everything was just butta. Wish I could have bought both but I didn't have the cash. It really depends on the person and what sounds and feels good to them. I've played both manufacturers and some were high priced crap, and others were heavenly. I wish it were as easy as just picking a name but it's not.
Quote by Fret Frier

You had best be buying a Martin dread (with no cutaway) and at least two Shubb capos soon if you are ever planning to go to a bluegrass festival of any kind.
I've got an old ('67) Martin D-35 and a Taylor 814ce (fairly recent).
Given the wide range of guitars each produces, a "Martin vs. Taylor" thread makes no sense.

That said, the Martin is a dread, and has a LOT of bass, but it's a bit boomy. It's also a bit less comfortable than the Taylor, which has a narrower waist (GS body style) and a bigger butt. The Taylor is tighter sounding, and more balanced. It's the guitar I'd choose first if I were recording. But that's due to a lot of factors, including woods, body shape, thickness, etc.

In addition, it's got a built-in pickup system that's pretty good (the Martin needs to be miked). The Martin's neck has always been good, but it would be expensive to have a reset done. The Taylor's neck is bolt-on, and Taylor offers a variety of maintenance packages that refresh your guitar at the factory. Taylor's really not "more machine-made" (I've toured both factories), but they do seem to be more consistent, thanks to some modernization. For example, the Taylors have a finishing system that uses a robotic fixture and spraying arm, along with self-leveling UV catalyzed materials that are nearly 100% solids, and that don't put crap into the atmosphere, nor do they endanger human workers (as do, for example, Gibson's lacquers). The result is a thinner finish that's more even overall than any human with a spray gun can produce. It's also more repeatable (you don't get one guitar with a thick finish, another one that's thin, etc.).

In short, I'd not want to give up the Martin I have (it's exceptional), but if I were choosing between a new Martin and a Taylor in roughly the same price range, and with the same body style and woods, I'd probably go with the Taylor, if only because of the bolt neck and the consistency.
Quote by dspellman
I've got an old ('67) Martin D-35 and a Taylor 814ce (fairly recent).
Given the wide range of guitars each produces, a "Martin vs. Taylor" thread makes no sense.
I don't think it's supposed to make sense. It's a troll thread. You're not even allowed to start a "versus" thread in the electric forum.

Ah yes, here it is,
3: Versus threads: Threads like, ?Metallica vs. Megadeth?, or ?Gibson vs. Fender? are not allowed.

That was taken from post #8 here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365675

I will say that this type of thread gets more heated rather quickly over there. It must be all the "gain" they use....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 2, 2014,
Have we reached the end of this thread's life? Or we ready to smack talk some more! Yay Shubbs up a Taylor guy's butt!
Quote by Fret Frier
Have we reached the end of this thread's life? Or we ready to smack talk some more! Yay Shubbs up a Taylor guy's butt!
Oh look kidz, it's the voice of (un)reason.....
Quote by Fret Frier

I use three Shubb capos on my instrument at the same time.
Quote by theogonia777
I use three Shubb capos on my instrument at the same time.
Phew, is it getting hot in here, or is it me?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 4, 2014,
Page 1 of 2