Hi all,

When I was younger I fell in love with an Ibanez SAS32FM:
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-sas-32fm/3394.
In my youthful naivety I did not know what a floating tremelo was - I've always had problems since, keeping my guitar in tune.

A few years ago (again with youthful naivety) I took it to a local guitar shop to see what they could do. What they did was to stop the tremelo from floating. Although I don't know how.

As standard, it was attached at the front of the tremelo and its rear used to lift up and down. The guitar shop changed it so that instead of lifting, the rear end of the tremelo stays stuck down.

Does anyone know what they did? Was it a cheap fix e.g. sticking it down? My guitar still doesn't stay in tune and if anything, it's worse - any idea if they did more damage?

Hoping you guys can help, if not it's to another guitar tech!

Thanks in advance!!
there are a number of things they might have done.

first thing i'd check is to see if they jammed anything under the trem, like a block of wood or something like that.

if not, try loosening the screws under the backplate.

they shouldn't have damaged it unless they're eejits
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
there are a number of things they might have done.

first thing i'd check is to see if they jammed anything under the trem, like a block of wood or something like that.

if not, try loosening the screws under the backplate.

they shouldn't have damaged it unless they're eejits

Read this thinking eejit isn't a word i see used on forums that often, then i realised where you are from! Bout ye.

But yes, what Dave said. Throw up a couple of photos of the bridge from the front and the back if you are stuck.
Last edited by mark.bark at Aug 1, 2014,
^ LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok so just had a look under the back plate and there is no block of wood or anything blocking the floating tremelo.

Just for reference, if anyone checks this thread out the SAS32FM and I assume SAS36 models have a Ibanez Sat pro tremelo.
These are the possible positions:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x256/ouija_bucket/IbanezSA.jpg

It seems like the guitar tech just lowered the tremelo so it sits flush with the guitar, however looking at the back you can see that even in this position, when you bend a string the tremelo still pulls. So the next step will be to cut some wood out to hard-tail it!
yeah. well you have a few options, really. you could try setting it to float again to see if that helps with the tuning stability, or you can just block it, as you said. you could even (don't quote me on this ) try tightening the screws a bit more so the trem doesn't pull when you bend.

the nut might be where the problems are, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lube the nut up with a pencil. Worked on my strat and PRS. As for floating trems, ive never really liked them. Just made sure i had 3 springs in there and locked it down.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Thanks for the pencil and screw tips will give them a go - need to get some new strings on this one and play around with the action and intonation.

Haven't got time to chop up a wood block so I've done a temporary bodge job and jammed some hard cardboard in instead. So far so good - it seems to have made a pretty big difference and the guitar is staying more in tune! Fingers crossed!

Definitely wouldn't touch another floating tremelo with a barge pole and this 'sat pro tremelo' is awful!