- Preferably TMB tone controls
- Preferably reverb, or at least an effects loop
- Chime!
- Not high gain
- Moderate wattage - probably 18w would suffice
- Probably British voicing, so EL84 or EL34 tubes
- Not too brightly voiced
- A combo
- Budget is £1000 GBP. New or used is fine.

Top of my list at the moment is a Dr Z Maz 18. It ticks all of the boxes and sounds awesome. A bit pricey new though, and second hand ones are hard to come by. I dig that I can go from clean to gritty with the twist of a knob, and keep it at reasonable levels. Also that the drive is pretty mild.

I mostly play pretty clean with a hint of break up, or a bit more gain and play crunchy arpeggios.

Anything else that I should consider before getting fixated on a Maz 18?
Last edited by hessodreamy at Jul 31, 2014,
Any Marshall 18 watter derivative should be fine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Marshall 18w, marshall bluesbreaker, AC30...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Marshall 18w, marshall bluesbreaker, AC30...

I looked for Marshall 18w with TMB controls but couldn't find any. Can you suggest a specific model?
Bluesbreaker doesn't have reverb or, I think, master volume.
AC30 doesn't have TMB controls and is way overpowered for me. By all accounts an AC30 needs to be loud to get the most out of it.
martamp/mjw or something like that might be cheaper than a dr z (as it's made in the UK). I haven't tried either, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LaidBack
Any Marshall 18 watter derivative should be fine.

as i read through the OP, i was thinking. 18 wat... 18 watt... they are available in single tone knobs or TMB, i am sure you could run a loop but i wouldn't know how, for high gain just kick in a tube screamer or something of the like you can put a PPIMV in so you have a master as such (i did and am glad i did)

easy to build too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/