So,Im looking to upgrade my amp,and ive been told these two are pretty good for practise,besides they a kinda fit my budget,i mostly play Death Metal,and im bit confused on which one should i get,btw ive only been playing guitar for a year and few months,so what´s your opinion? Cheers
You can get a Peavey Vypyr for around the same price, so I would recommend that instead. For practice amps those are fine for starting out though.

People here might say you're making the dumbest move ever buying a Spider IV but I used one for practicing at home and it was passable and I play much better sounding amps every week. It's when people wanna bring Spiders to jams or gigs that I have a big problem with it.
The Spider series gets a LOT of hate on this board, but a lot of guys here don't really like Blackstar either. If you wanted to answer a few more questions we could probably help you out a little more:

Budget?

Genre? And be specific, like bands or even specific clips of songs you like because there's a huuuuuge variety of tones under the general label "death metal"

Nearest big city? For craigslist/gumtree purposes

New or Used?

Other gear you already have?

EDIT: ^Hey, I love Baroness too
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Jul 31, 2014,
Peavey Vypyr +1

Such a good amp, I've had mine since I started playing. It'll last and will play pretty much anything you want.

Also, if your budget isn't too restricting I would advise you to go bigger than 15 or 10 seeing as you've been playing for a fair amount of time.
Quote by barden1069
The Spider series gets a LOT of hate on this board, but a lot of guys here don't really like Blackstar either. If you wanted to answer a few more questions we could probably help you out a little more:

spiders=shit. you may like it for a month or two, but then you will regret it.

i don't have a problem with blackstar due to their amps, its because they called them "ALL tube, and they are NOT 'All tube. also IMO i think they are generally a bit over priced and lackluster.

i would look into a vypyr/roland cube first if you want a modeler

-------

what i would do is to the the POD500, and reasonably priced and play through those or headphones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get a Vyper.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
I'll vouch for the Roland Cube.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by barden1069

EDIT: ^Hey, I love Baroness too

They're so amazing. My band just started playing March to the Sea. Can't wait to play it live.

TS, yea, you're budget is pretty important. If you have more than $150 US, you can get a better amp for sure. I use a POD HD 300 for practicing and it's mint. Really great modelling. Found it used for $200 and it works perfectly, plus you can record with it and use it live if you set it up with a power amp or powered speakers or through a PA.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

what i would do is to the the POD500, and reasonably priced and play through those or headphones.

You might also look at the Pod HD (bean) desktop model. No foot switching, but cheaper than the HD500 and perfect if you're mostly using it at home. Everything else (electronics-wise) is the same as the HD500. Used FBV Shortboards give you everything that you have on the HD500 in terms of footswitch capabilites, and are available for under $100 if and when you need on in the future. Better yet, they don't need a guitar cable or an AC plug to connect to the Pod HD (if you've got it in the backline, for example) -- only takes an ethernet cable.
hello,thanks for all the suggestions,(and sorry for the late reply),i made up my mind and i got a roland cube 15 instead