I'm new but I read the required threads and I'm hoping what I ask isn't already dealt with.

When I use the lepou plugins in reaper with the cab sim loaded with IR files it still has a bad noise going on when I'm not playing and want distortion I can't seem to do anything about it in the plugins and I've tried a different guitar and that doesn't seem to be it. I also tried to record it to show here but when I do it's just silence. At that point I just feel embarrassed I have to ask 'cause it seems like most people solve this by loading an IR file.

If this is addressed in a thread sorry I just missed it.
If you're having problems with le pou, you should consider laxatives to clean your system out

No, but seriously - can you describe your recording chain as clearly as possible please? We need to know how you're getting your guitar signal into your computer, and what you're doing with it in your DAW next, otherwise we could be guessing at things for ages.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I tried to give as much as I could, forgot to include my interface. It's a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface and it's going straight to the computer by USB. I have everything in Reaper set to default and just open it with nothing else but a single track with my guitar being monitored and when I enable the cab sim I still get harsh noise. Anything I'm missing there? Trying to be as detailed as I can.

and yeah, when I look this up it seems like most people solve it by loading an IR file in LeCab. I don't know what my deal is
Ok, so your guitar is plugged into the instrument input of your interface, your interface is USB and in Reaper, you've set the interface as your input and output device, correct?

And when you check the monitoring of your interface (either the green lights on front, or using the software that comes with it that lets you mess with the inputs etc. ) you are getting a signal but it isn't clipping (showing red lights for that channel), correct?

Then, you've created an audio track and loaded a LePou amp sim, and after that you've loaded LeCab as the next thing in the chain, and you have loaded an IR and have a signal coming out that comprises of the amp sim, going through LeCab, correct?

In addition to those questions, are you certain the noise isn't feedback because the gain is too high on your interface or in the amp sim, and/or you aren't sat too close to your computer/speakers with the volume turned up too high?

Oh, and I presume you've swapped guitar cables to make sure it isn't a bad lead? Does your guitar run fine through a real amp?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Ok, so your guitar is plugged into the instrument input of your interface, your interface is USB and in Reaper, you've set the interface as your input and output device, correct?

Correct.

And when you check the monitoring of your interface (either the green lights on front, or using the software that comes with it that lets you mess with the inputs etc. ) you are getting a signal but it isn't clipping (showing red lights for that channel), correct?

Correct.

Then, you've created an audio track and loaded a LePou amp sim, and after that you've loaded LeCab as the next thing in the chain, and you have loaded an IR and have a signal coming out that comprises of the amp sim, going through LeCab, correct?

Yes I had to make sure I had it exactly like that and yes it's like that now with my guitar in my hands

In addition to those questions, are you certain the noise isn't feedback because the gain is too high on your interface or in the amp sim, and/or you aren't sat too close to your computer/speakers with the volume turned up too high?

When I turn the volum/gain levels down to where the noise is gone the guitar loses the impact and power it has to where if I raise it the guitar sounds meaner but the noise is there in exchange. On my interface my gain stays in the green and on the amp sim I really think it's so low that it's unusual? Here's my amp level. My guitar is at max there, and no matter what I get to around the same thing in any combination for the noise to stop, it seems too low. When I hear other people on their tutorial videos they get a monstrous tone with good volume and no noise.

Oh, and I presume you've swapped guitar cables to make sure it isn't a bad lead? Does your guitar run fine through a real amp?

Yeah, I've been able to test multiple cables. That's not it and the guitar works fine through a real amp. Even tried another guitar and it still the same deal.
Last edited by Irideus at Jul 31, 2014,
This might seem an odd question, but is your computer by any chance a laptop? If so have you tried with it running on battery, not plugged into the wall? my mate used to have noise problems caused by shitty power.

Also be aware that gain makes noise noticeable, it's part of the parcel. The trick is to hide it in the mix, or gate it down/out.
Naw, I'm not on a laptop. I'm thinking maybe that's just the way audio recording is and I'm missing something obvious. I also don't think I have an ungodly amount of gain, I just want a powerful sound and I can't get it without hushing everything down and even then it just loses power. I spent cash on my interface and I'm bummed out over this 'cause I kinda can't move forward with anything. Oh, well. If anyone has any ideas have at it, I'm all ears.
How's the pitch of the noise?
Does it go away for the most part if you turn down the gain?
Could you provide us with an audio clip?
That last one would greatly help.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
How's the pitch of the noise?

It's not overly high or low can't really pick one, just sounds like too much gain and it rasps in the background when no strings are picked or strummed.

Does it go away for the most part if you turn down the gain?

Yes, if I go knob down all the dials to an insanely low level to where there's no power behind the instrument and it just sounds very weak that's the only way I've made it go away.

Could you provide us with an audio clip?

I tried to do that when I started but if I just record as is it returns silence without the rasps/noise I hear with the plugins on.
Does it make the sound when there's no guitar plugged in? Honestly, it sounds like your pickups aren't grounded correctly or whatever you're monitoring on isn't on a balanced circuit/isn't shielded.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I get clean silence with no instrument plugged in. Is that worse case scenario for this then? I tried out another guitar from a friend and it seems to do the same, unless they're both bad, which I guess is possible but I doubt it so I guess it could be what I'm monitoring with. That seems like the most solid answer and it was what I was hoping wasn't the case. I guess that should do. I'll get something new to monitor with and if it's not too late I'll let you know how it goes.