I couldn't find a quick answer online, so I thought I'd try asking any violinists here. How quickly can pizzicato on violin/viola be played? I'm trying to do some soundtrack stuff for a game I'm working on and I've programmed some arpeggio parts - I like how they sound played as pizzicato, but I have a feeling that eighth note triplets at ~100bpm is unreasonable for real live players. Which isn't a concern because I'm going to have it recorded or anything, but because it may put listeners off by being too obviously synthetic.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I did faster than that at a recital once- with a dislocated ankle and a ruptured testicle.

So yep. Possible.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Very possible, 8th notes at 100bpm is relaxing, and using one finger I could do 16ths at the same tempo, but could go much faster using two fingers if the passage was prolonged pizzicato.
great, that was the answer i was hoping for, now i don't have to find a new sound for the part. thanks to the both of you!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
It's a wee bit harder on viola due to the strings being thicker, but it's still possible to go faster than that.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.