So I got pulled over coming home from camp Fourth of July weekend. I was speeding and didn't have updated inspection stickers. Whatever. I got a 75 dollar fine and paid it via money order 2 days later. I got a letter saying I never paid the fine and now I owe 127.50!!

I'm obviously gonna call in the morning but does anyone have an idea why this happened or any way for me to prove I paid? I don't have a receipt for the money order. Just a bank statement for USPS and the amount and date. I literally paid the fine in full immediately. Wtf
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
Flee to Canada
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Show the bank statement and you'll be good to go.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Hope you have proof.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
let me tell you your first mistake

you didn't request a waiver hearing.

now no matter how much money you give the state, you will still have this muck up on your record and your chances for getting probation before judgement on any future speeding tickets really goes down the toilet.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Thanks for reminding me I have to pay this parking ticket.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Take it to court. Even if you don't have enough proof, there's a chance the cop won't show up to the hearing.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Take it to court. Even if you don't have enough proof, there's a chance the cop won't show up to the hearing.

1. the cop will probably show up
2. court fees will nearly double your expense
3. paying a fine is equivalent to pleading guilty. it's too late to take anything to court unless he wants to sue the state for wasting his time on the phone.
Quote by Eastwinn
1. the cop will probably show up
2. court fees will nearly double your expense
3. paying a fine is equivalent to pleading guilty. it's too late to take anything to court unless he wants to sue the state for wasting his time on the phone.

I got out of a fine that way, no court fees at all. It might depend on the situation, I don't know how it works.

I guess you're right on the third part though.
Last edited by MeTallIcA313 at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by MeTallIcA313
I got out of fine that way, no court fees at all. It might depend on the situation, I don't know how it works.

I guess you're right on the third part though.

surely if the cop showed you would have had to pay court fees but i can only really speak with any authority about the state of maryland. forgot that other people live in different states
Always pay fines in person. This way they put it in the system in front of you and give you a piece of paper saying you paid the fine. I would never pay any fine by mail or money order. Because when things like this happen with the courts, it can sometimes be a pain in the a*s trying to get it sorted out. Whereas if you pay in person, and for some strange reason you get a letter saying you didn't pay, you just take the paper in they gave you and it's instantly taken car of with no problems.
If the state says you didn't pay it and you have no proof otherwise, you didn't pay it.

You can either pay the $127.50 now, or you can fight it, lose and pay even more.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Eastwinn is correct. Signing the ticket and paying the fine is the same as pleading guilty. Iif you can't prove you paid the ticket you might consider just paying the additional charge and send it in along with a letter disputing the charge with a full explanation and any evidence you might have of paying the original ticket. At least that will stop any further fines associated with not paying. They will keep adding additional fines even while you are contesting it if you don't pay.
I had a similar problem with my state taxes. They claimed I didn't pay my state tax about three years earlier. Each month I got another bill with further fines and charges while I was contesting the charge of not paying. The fine kept growing each month. I finally paid it then filed an appeal which I eventually won but the state only paid me back the original amount they were asking for not the fines and later charges (about $200.00 altogether). My father who is a stae licensed accountant said to let it go or they will just keep coming at you. I took his advice. I think way cool is right, do it in person if you can.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 1, 2014,
I usually gave my money to the court house, the...whoever those people are behind bars, if you'd down that you could argue your they have it for sure and someone saw you give it to them.

Also the state's fine with money orders, they're fine, that's how you send money to inmates even.
Just if you pay in person there's not much of a point to have a money order.
Last edited by stratkat at Aug 1, 2014,
cops don't go to these things so no one ever pays fines. My mom ran a red light once and after four years they just stopped sending her notices.